Live from QM2 - Dec 22, 2018 - Caribbean Celebration

cougaraz

Thank you so much for this - especially for posting the menus. I need to plan my days food in advance and I use an app to do it. I can 'choose' what I might have if these menus are used and having it in advance it saves me loads of time compared with doing it onboard 🙂

5 hours ago, cougaraz said:

Salmon Wellington. a4793aec0eb691edd0d80cb1814eb6d6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Had the Salmon Wellington too and was taken aback by how dry and tasteless it was. Very disappointing dish. But my lovely side salad made up for it 😄 

4 hours ago, soraya said:

Thank you so much for this - especially for posting the menus. I need to plan my days food in advance and I use an app to do it. I can 'choose' what I might have if these menus are used and having it in advance it saves me loads of time compared with doing it onboard 🙂

If it will help, you can request the next day's menus at dinner. Speak to the MD and they will happily accommodate your request with a printed copy.

We generally browse and photograph (as a memento) the lunch and dinner menus at breakfast time (or before lunch if we haven't had breakfast in the dining room). The menus are available in at the MD's station at the entrance.

47 minutes ago, elkenyc said:

Had the Salmon Wellington too and was taken aback by how dry and tasteless it was. Very disappointing dish. But my lovely side salad made up for it 😄 

That is interesting, mine was succulently moist and bursting with flavor. I am usually not a big fish eater, but it was one of my favorite bites of the cruise. 

Sorry that yours was not as good. 

• Like 1

I was on this cruise to celebrate my birthday. Only 4 other people showed up for the Cruise Critic gathering on the first sea day. This lack of interest has happened on the past few cruises, no matter what line. They were setting up for a wedding where we met so I felt like I was in the way. Enjoyed meeting Mama Fran, Elke and Oliver there. Fran told us about the books written by the bar waiter, so I bought them and look forward to reading them. He graciously signed them for me. Thanks for your blog. We didn't stay up for NYE, so were interested in what you reported. We were in the Princess Grill which was wonderful. I booked the Veranda Steakhouse for my birthday, the last evening. Should have stayed in the Princess Grill, it is much nicer, less hectic and has better food, although we did have a couple of kids in PG who let loose once in awhile. Did not expect that. Cunard overbooked the PG and offered us and some others a free cruise if we would downgrade. We refused the offer. We had sailed on the QM2 once before in the sheltered balcony they offered us which was okay, but I wanted to see how the PG was. I am glad that we did it, but don't think we will do it again. Been there, done that. The ship is very nice but sometimes difficult to navigate. The Queen's Room was very crowded at times. The entertainment was great but we had to get there early to get a decent seat. This happens on other ships though. Having some free internet time was nice but it was so slow that I couldn't do much. Missed seeing the American football games, particularly the Rose Bowl, only British soccer was shown. The water in the outdoor pool was cool even in the Caribbean, so I went to the hot tub on the Grill deck. They even served tea and scones up there which was very nice. I was surprised that even though the children seemed to have their own pool, they were still in the pool that said it was only for age 18 and over. The warmer indoor pool was full of kids, so I only went there once. We received two lovely cups and saucers with the Cunard ship logos on them, wondered if everyone else had. We had discarded some of the luggage tags that we put on prior to boarding and then found out we were supposed to use them again for disembarkation. Have never done this before. I still had one on my larger bag, but it was placed in the wrong area in NY, as was my other bag with a new, handwritten tag they gave me. It took me awhile to find my bags and the people there didn't seem to know what was going on. Not sure if we will ever go on a World Cruise, but if we do, it will not be on this line. I am getting used to the other lines which don't make me dress up. We did like formals in our younger days. My number of cruises is about to pass my age, so I guess that's why my tastes are not what they used to be.

Edited by jwitt2
additional comments
  • Like 1

From 26 December. St Kitts, our cake and Prosecco (it was to celebrate Melissa's MBA and a gift, it was Victoria sponge and INSANELY good), dinner menu, pork chop, Chicken Cordon Bleu and chocolate tart. 2d1a9e1d14bcf5ac20468530348f0d5f.jpge68ef8a05fbcf46c4e20175e569078db.jpg7d20e81f5b39834e62d50ae559d703f0.jpg74a276995eba4ed81666593c38b141bf.jpg4f73401ce6df67d95a585a12fd2bf289.jpgfea549db9d1afcadca384c15d840f06f.jpg5ace8acfd72a6763704e9c31f1e13a6b.jpgef4ce35edaad69d5633cf660dcda21f6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, luckymal said:

After all thos greats meals, did the waist line suffer?😉

Doesn't it suffer after every cruise? 

This time though, as I was coming from a strict Keto diet, I did "low carb" and said 'no' to all the bread rolls, and deserts. The later easy as I am not into sweets to begin with. I drank nice wine and bubbly and stayed clear of beer. I gained 6 pounds that are all gone already plus 3 extra 😄 

If you're only away for 12 days, it really doesn't matter much but I think a World Cruise would be very, very difficult weight wise, no?

BTW - the Venison was by far, hands down, my favorite dish. Such a beautiful combination and execution. Extraordinaire!

-- Elke

On 1/7/2019 at 9:06 PM, jwitt2 said:

I was on this cruise to celebrate my birthday. Only 4 other people showed up for the Cruise Critic gathering on the first sea day. This lack of interest has happened on the past few cruises, no matter what line. They were setting up for a wedding where we met so I felt like I was in the way. Enjoyed meeting Mama Fran, Elke and Oliver there. Fran told us about the books written by the bar waiter, so I bought them and look forward to reading them. He graciously signed them for me. Thanks for your blog. 

[..]

Nice having met you! It was really nice to learn more about Francis' travels and we enjoyed running into each other on the ship. I didn't expect (too many) people to turn up to our little meeting either. The Wedding in the background was fun! It was also a something I could mention to our wonderful captain later that day, whom we also run into a few times on different occasions and who could not have been nicer!

Did Princess Grills on our last QM2 cruise in 2014/15 and while I loved the spacious accommodations, I did not enjoy the dining room experience. Better food selection and preparations, yes, but the ambience, where we were squeezed at, not cool at all. So I hear you 🙂 - Britannia was much nicer this time and I'll do this again. 

It saddens me that your experience was not all happy, happy but I do hope you'll have a happy New Year and well, to keep it with the happy, happy belated birthday! xo

-- Elke

1 hour ago, luckymal said:

After all thos greats meals, did the waist line suffer?😉

Of course, but well worth it!

Talked to our tablemates and one of them said he put on about 25 pounds on the world cruise.  

Honestly, just a week after getting home, my pudge is already reducing noticably.

On 1/7/2019 at 1:51 AM, cougaraz said:

That is interesting, mine was succulently moist and bursting with flavor. I am usually not a big fish eater, but it was one of my favorite bites of the cruise. 

Sorry that yours was not as good. 

The Salmon Wellington is my favourite dish and I look forward to it every time we sail with Cunard. We did all 3 sections and was very disappointed that it didn't appear on the menu on the final NY-S'hampton leg.