Back from Maiden Edge Voyage - Dec 9-16, 2018

happicruzer

19 hours ago, happicruzer said:

Survey - I finally got around to completing it.

First question is what I liked about the cruise.  

FROM EXPERIENCE - I knew to enter any other comments here.

Why?  

The numerical points follow, a quick box on who you would like to commend, a secondary Edge specific bunch of questions and a Thank You.  Goodbye.

To be productive, a survey should ask for more than how great it was.  I did forget to request shelves for a library, something I would like.

judy

Judy- what numerical rating overall did you give your Edge cruise.  If the price was right would you sail her again?  Different type of cabin?

20 hours ago, happicruzer said:

Survey - I finally got around to completing it.

First question is what I liked about the cruise.  

FROM EXPERIENCE - I knew to enter any other comments here.

Why?  

The numerical points follow, a quick box on who you would like to commend, a secondary Edge specific bunch of questions and a Thank You.  Goodbye.

To be productive, a survey should ask for more than how great it was.  I did forget to request shelves for a library, something I would like.

judy

Finally completed my survey.  Took me a while.  I had a lot to say in all the boxes.  I had questions and details on everything, from experience in the terminal, stateroom, to each show, to each dining venue, to the entertainment venues, to what I thought of Eden, activities, ports, shore excursions, etc.  My survey questions didn't really leave anything out.

Edited by ecslady
  • Like 1

TeeRick - I’d gladly sail her again, just not at today’s pricing.  I’m also glad we double booked second day out with the idea that if the Inaugural fell through, I at least would get to sail on her - especially as pricing escalated.  The high price is the main reason I didn’t cancel the Jan cruise.

While I may or may not attend the evening stage entertainment in January, I’m looking forward to my January cruise on Edge as there was a lot of stuff to experience and feel we will actually enjoy the ship experience with fresh eyes.  I guess the ship could be considered a museum, hard to take everything in the first visit - and I consider the break between cruises to be better than a B2B.

We also want to hit the Eden Cafe more often.

Would I book an IV again, knowing how often the captain locked the window, probably.  We ended up turning the chairs sideways and found that worked better to enjoy the balcony area.  It will definitely improve the balcony to have higher backed chairs and non rope backs.  There isn’t room for a footstool if there is a table.  As mentioned, the table became a footstool thanks to a large plush pillow.  We didnt have the greatest weather, so standing on an open balcony would have been less than optimum.

For anyone who wonders, yes, at least one woman stated she hated the ship.  However, felt most everyone had positive reactions except for balcony furniture and some super comfortable furniture that didn’t want you off it.  

I hope the above helps you out.

Judy

Edited by happicruzer
  • Thanks 2

Judy enjoyed your review, hoping you can answer  a couple of questions. Out of curiosity how many times during the week were the IV's locked? Were they locked while entering or leaving a port? How much smaller do you think the veranda is compared to an S or M class veranda?

Norma

As we have mentioned before we sailed on Silhouette on her first 'proper cruise'. The complaints were unreal and people didn't half moan about what we thought was an amazing ship. Will we love Edge as much? Who knows ... but we will go and enjoy and take her for what she was designed for.

(Well, as long as those weird Eden people don't escape too often ;-) )

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, h20cruzer said:

Judy enjoyed your review, hoping you can answer  a couple of questions. Out of curiosity how many times during the week were the IV's locked? Were they locked while entering or leaving a port? How much smaller do you think the veranda is compared to an S or M class veranda?

Norma

Totally locked up tight upon entering cabin at embarkation, unlocked while at dinner as we checked upon returning to the cabin after the 7.15 show.  Think if we’d been able to open the window, would have had a better first impression.  

Window was operable on return to FtL, very noisy once docked at port - so definitely less noisy on embarkation - probably a good thing in retrospect.  Plus we unpacked and headed off to inspect all the wonders of Edge - wouldn’t have been on the balcony much even if window opened.

Memory gives me maybe 8-12 closures, some for window washing, some rain and most of the rest don’t know why.  We had misty weather last sea day, window closed automatically for a rain shower but was promptly unlocked in a timely fashion.  Not sure how much wet weather had occurred on previous sailings so captain may have needed a learning curve to include remembering to unlock the override.

balcony is definitely smaller - think compact  - than what you probably experienced in the past unless you travel Princess.  Small balconies and small cabins there.  The patio concept grew on us, especially in damp weather.  Being able to adjust how far up/down you wanted the window was a plus.  Add in that you looked out to sea and not into the bar was a plus.

Think the trend is away from the oversized balconies, think salt damage and maintenance issues.  Watched as Oasis rebuilt several forward balconies.

I am confident privacy/room darkening curtains, window film or something will show up.  That is an issue that needs to be addressed - maybe even more so than the chairs.

Judy

• Thanks 1