Back from Maiden Edge Voyage - Dec 9-16, 2018

happicruzer

1 minute ago, happicruzer said:

Since you can’t slide the device you hang, think it would be annoying - unless you plan to cut whatever you hang up the middle - to make walking through it or folding it back to see out the window when privacy isn’t an issue.  

Sticking the command hooks to the inside glass to hang your cutain might work.

The window washer went by at least four times on our week long cruise and Allure was parked opposite when in port.  Port side of the ship would not have been impacted by the Allure.

Judy

I'm not going on Edge now but trying to offer suggestions for those booked before the higher ups figure out how to permanently address 🙂

17 hours ago, happicruzer said:

BACKGROUND

We are seventy-somethings that currently cruise to enjoy the ocean, some nice food and entertainment.  For us, a cruise is just a bit of vacation from home.  

We rarely use the pool, spa, gamble or stay up late.  We may take an excursion if it catches our fancy.  This trip went to Key West (took the Conch Train tour and toured the Aquarium-cheaper as a cruise excursion with 20% off than buying online/direct at port), Costa Maya (walked the shop area to get some photos of the Edge), and Grand Cayman. 

Traveling on Edge, and after reading many of the early blogs, I decided to provide my observations from a cruiser perspective.  Many day-to-day blogs with photos will fill you in on anything not covered by me.

Following a post from someone else, I plan to break up the comments into smaller sections for posting and ease of reading.  Thus you can easily skip over anything not of interest to you.

We enjoyed our “maiden voyage” on the Edge.  Had booked two cruises first day out, just in case the inaugural date fell through.  Decided, upon following the build blog and due to huge price hikes, that we’d keep our January cruise and sail the same ship a couple weeks apart. 

I read the ‘Edge” book that was in the stateroom on debarkation morning.  Realized how much I did see but then missed during the rest of the week.  Will be glad to seek out the bits and pieces that may mean more after reading the book and to revisit those areas I enjoyed.

There are lots of nooks and crannies – some one-way hallways (think dead ends).  I had a good time and look forward to our January cruise on The Edge.

EMBARKATION

..  Parked in garage without dropping off bags.  Plenty of parking spaces, shared with HAL ship.

..  Sidewalk, as reported earlier, is very narrow.  More an issue at debarkation, as most are pushing/dragging luggage and sharing space with incoming employees and future cruisers.

..  Confirmed printed pass for building entry, showed passport, through luggage check.  Quick and easy.  If in a suite, you will be directed to different embarkation area.

..  Approached by individual with iPad, scanned paperwork, took photo and picture of passports

..  Seated in large, open area.  Not enough seating and lots of folks stood to rush the line at 11:15 announcement.

..  Priority boarders announced – mad rush.  Announcements to sit down or boarding would stop.

..  Then Aqua Class.  (our paperwork had no mention of Aqua just loyalty)

..  Then Elite Plus

..  Our paperwork wouldn’t scan at boarding (worked entering building).  There was a long table with staff to reenter all your information to print out new paperwork.  I had pictures of bar codes on iPhone which did scan.

..  Heavy rain began falling.  An employee held a large umbrella to provide cover between the building and the ramp area.  Then, stuck on ramp which began bouncing, all was well, apparently, as boarding again commenced.

MISS – too many loud announcements bouncing around the room which are unintelligible.  Should break up the room with seating areas by boarding group as done in almost every other boarding area to stop the mad rush to gain access to boarding.

UPON BOARDING  --  My first impression - EDGE IS STUNNING.  My husband called Edge luxurious.

So far very helpful..Thank you.   Can't wait to keep reading

We are going to park in the garage and walk our bags to the entry point.,

We are AQ Class and E +  so I presume we will be called in an early group if they do it by groups, A mass rush is ridiculous!

All other  port ramps have been covered.  Do you know if this was temp or will EDGE continue to be  open air?? Seems dangerous in the rain...with carry ons

Your  review of AQ cabin is excellent..did not know we get exercise mats!

Edited by hcat

Sorry for confusion over the ramp - it is only the gap between the building and the start of the ramp, probably less than 6".  However, we had a temporary monsoon and water was just pouring down the top of the ramp and, of course, pouring down on the oversized umbrella and the staff member trying to keep cruisers and their bags dry.

FYI - noticed posts about the lack of Purell stations and the handwashing stations.  The handwashing stations went mostly unused but Purell stations showed up after the handwashing station and before entering the Oceanview Café.

I also forgot to mention the wi-fi and Internet.  We only used our complimentary loyalty minutes for email and miscellaneous stuff.  Found it fairly quick and only a few glitches.  In fact, some apps that wouldn't work on Equinox worked on Edge. 

The wi-fi app was easy to use and the Celebrity app totally separate from the login page for internet.  (Some lines its easy to log on by mistake and use up minutes you don't want to lose.)  We don't carry our phone around but did use the iPad to check our account info - although, it was actually as easy to do that on the TV.

There was a post about the height of the bar on the balcony.  It is definitely wider than and higher than a typical balcony railing but the height allowed us to sit in the chairs and look out without the bar being in our line of vision.  Yes, the chairs should have a higher back - my husband slept well with the long bed pillow stuffed behind him and placed against the wall of the balcony.  Voila - a high back.  

And to all who have posted - again, thanks for reading.

Judy

44 minutes ago, hcat said:

So far very helpful..Thank you.   Can't wait to keep reading

We are going to park in the garage and walk our bags to the entry point.,

We are AQ Class and E +  so I presume we will be called in an early group if they do it by groups, A mass rush is ridiculous!

All other  port ramps have been covered.  Do you know if this was temp or will EDGE continue to be  open air?? Seems dangerous in the rain...with carry ons

Your  review of AQ cabin is excellent..did not know we get exercise mats!

I tried to edit out the repeat of your post  once I saw my initial post, but could not do it..so sorry for that.  Cruise Critic shows me  many error messages since the changeover!

This was a great review..very detailed  and pleasantly written. Thanks again.

We will be in AQ class in Nov so our dinner menu will be mostly  BLU..we usually check it at the podium  after breakfast each day. Hope we will be able to do that,

Have to figure out how to get the MDR menus for the ABC itin when we will not be in AQ class.,  We do not use devices on the ship exceot reading on a tablet, and will apparently get little info otherwise,, Really not a big issue...but odd not on the TV.

The MDR and Blu menus did show up on the Celebrity app before sailing - only days one or two though.  Once on board someone loaded almost all meals, just not necessarily what was being served that particular night. Not a huge issue since TV menus in the past were only accurate if the correct menus had been provided to IT.

Once i realized menus weren’t posted correctly I did ask to see the dining menu.

The Edge pushes smart technology and wants to avoid paper.  I read a post that 77% of Americans use smart phones.  Celebrity needs to be aware that 23% do not have one or some of us choose not to carry a phone around.

The Edge uses a lot of iPad-style stands. These could easily be adapted to show menus outside a restaurant as there really is no good area to add menu posting as done on other ships.

Just back from this maiden cruise and I find this review was pretty accurate and 
I think by talking to people that this is very much our impression.
The music and entertainment was not a success story. I remember that for the
Kaleidoscope show only one or two person applauded at the end. The entertainment 
Director was so surprised. The Roof Top Garden restaurant is nice but better 
check the weather, in Key West it was so windy at night and cold plus a music band
was playing so loud we couldn't hear the water. Also the chairs at this restaurant
are very uncomfortable .
This review missed a point about trying the new boats for going on excursion at shore in Cayman's Island .
We have waited in line for an hour before getting on board these boats.  They have to figure a better way for passengers to get on board.  These orange boats are very comfortable but I wonder if it's a could idea that the window can get down ? 
Because the air condition doesn't have time to cool the inside ? 
It is also my opinion that the famous Infinity Cabin will not be a success in the
future, since a lot of times the window is lock plus no privacy unless the shades 
are down (the color of those shade are brown like a carton box). The Grand Plaza 
is spectacular with the beautiful white Christmas tree and love to sit at the end of 
a day at the Sunset Bar for the view so close to the sea. The Pool has a lot of 
long chairs but so close to one another, not even an inch apart. Shades around 
the Pool is hard to find. I love experiencing new ships but this one will not be 
one of my favorite.

• Like 1

Thanks very much for your review. Thanks for mentioning that your iPad fit in the safe🙂 I especially appreciate the embarkation & tendering details, your assessment of the theater & shows, and the information about the IV window. I’m getting the sense that they lock the IV windows in every port. Was that your experience? Do you recall how long your window was locked? 

Thank you🌺

Edited by Silkroad

Window locking seems to be heavy rainy weather controlled.  After reading a post about no drains, I looked around our veranda and saw none.  

Window was closed on embarkation in Ft Lauderdale.  There had been a heavy rain storm at boarding but nothing later on.  Only noticed it open after dinner.

Key West had an attempted closure.  My husband was leaning on the window looking out.  Turns out, window washing would be done.  Able to manually close the window.  

We did see the window washing equipment returning to its base one day, didn’t see it go by or clean that day.

Our last sea day was misty and pretty damp; the window was able to be open - until we hit a batch of heavy rain when it closed automatically. My husband heard it close early one morning.  By the way, the trip was mostly cool so the room didn’t get over warm except at Costa Maya which had high humidity, thus we closed the folding doors.

returning to Ft Lauderdale, window was open.

As I probably wouldn’t be out on an open balcony during a rain storm, the IV did give us the opportunity to enjoy the balcony area despite the weather.  Obviously, if the window opens on your first trip to your room, you will be happier than if the window is locked closed.  It’s the difference between having a balcony or a glassed in patio.  

The IV grew on me throughout the cruise.  Having experienced wet, humid and cooler temperatures through the cruise, there were positives to the concept.

Judy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you. This is very helpful. We’re booked on the April TA, and I’m beginning to wonder if the window will be locked every day. I’ve always booked cabins with verandas, because I’m susceptible to motion sickness (fresh air is immediately helpful to me when I feel queasy). We’d thought that, with the IV, we’d have the option of more interior space, but that I would always be able to open the window if I needed air. We did not anticipate the windows being locked so frequently.

Edited by Silkroad

Actually, the locking of IV windows during a rain event is a good thing, IMO... as if passengers are out of their cabins during this event, there must be a way to shut them so as not to have, possibly, extensive water damage because someone forgot to shut it.

Also, I can imagine now, how much water damage has been caused by passengers forgetting to shut their 'regular' balcony door and a very strong rain event took place...

bon voyage

Bo, you may be right that the lack of drainage on the IVs requires the windows to be locked during rainy periods. However, when I booked my cabin, I had no idea I might not be able to open the window a couple inches, for a couple minutes, if I needed fresh air. My other concern is that the windows have, according to current and former passengers, often remained locked for hours after the rain has stopped, or the windows have been washed. That pattern suggests a rather cavalier attitude toward passengers who have paid quite a bit to enjoy fully usable Veranda windows on Edge. I hope that Celebrity addresses this issue promptly.

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 1

Survey - I finally got around to completing it.

First question is what I liked about the cruise.  

FROM EXPERIENCE - I knew to enter any other comments here.

Why?  

The numerical points follow, a quick box on who you would like to commend, a secondary Edge specific bunch of questions and a Thank You.  Goodbye.

To be productive, a survey should ask for more than how great it was.  I did forget to request shelves for a library, something I would like.

judy

6 minutes ago, happicruzer said:

Survey - I finally got around to completing it.

First question is what I liked about the cruise.  

FROM EXPERIENCE - I knew to enter any other comments here.

Why?  

The numerical points follow, a quick box on who you would like to commend, a secondary Edge specific bunch of questions and a Thank You.  Goodbye.

To be productive, a survey should ask for more than how great it was.  I did forget to request shelves for a library, something I would like.

judy

Interesting - I have not gotten around to completing the survey yet. 

18 hours ago, Silkroad said:

Bo, you may be right that the lack of drainage on the IVs requires the windows to be locked during rainy periods. However, when I booked my cabin, I had no idea I might not be able to open the window a couple inches, for a couple minutes, if I needed fresh air. My other concern is that the windows have, according to current and former passengers, often remained locked for hours after the rain has stopped, or the windows have been washed. That pattern suggests a rather cavalier attitude toward passengers who have paid quite a bit to enjoy fully usable Veranda windows on Edge. I hope that Celebrity addresses this issue promptly.

s - Sorry I missed the comment(s) about the windows 'being locked for hours'. I do recollect some posters not happy with the fact that the Captain can shut them at anytime without 'proper' notice.

I can understand how this type of situation can be distressing for some passengers, especially those who would feel claustrophobic in such a situation. Then I can only presume that using the HVAC system would not be an option in such instances?

A recent poster said they had their IV window open all night and it was refreshing and soothing while they slept.

Personally, I do not think that locking the windows at certain times,  is random or punitive, the window closing from the top deck, but for specific reasons. If they are closed for hours, then a question to The Captain would be in order, I would think or the very least, GR to find out the reason, if it is of paramount importance to be up to date on such information and/or make it known that personally it is important to have access to the window available at all times in ones cabin.

Your concerns are duly noted by me.

bon voyage

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

I can understand how this type of situation can be distressing for some passengers, especially those who would feel claustrophobic in such a situation. Then I can only presume that using the HVAC system would not be an option in such instances?

Bo, first, it’s not claustrophobia that is the issue. It is occasional motion sickness aka sea sickness. Second, if I thought ramping up the AC would be enough, why would I pay extra for Veranda cabins? Third, I do have other reasons for preferring a Veranda, such as having a tranquil place to enjoy a connection to the sea & shoreline, and a quiet place to enjoy time with my DH, or breakfast in our cabin (and many others have expressed similar reasons for booking Veranda cabins). BTW, we neither sleep with the Veranda open, nor leave it open all day, so these points are irrelevant to me.

Though I am pleased that you have noted my concerns, I hope Celebrity management (whom we are told read CC threads) notes them. And acts upon them. Neither of us can know when, why, and for how long the IVs are locked by the captain, because we haven’t yet sailed. We must rely on the posts made by those (like the OP) who have actually sailed on Edge. Based of their reports, I request that Celebrity set a policy to lock the IVs ONLY for the duration of the window washing, rain, or other unspecified reason deemed necessary by the captain.

Edited by Silkroad

1 hour ago, Silkroad said:

Bo, first, it’s not claustrophobia that is the issue. It is occasional motion sickness aka sea sickness. Second, if I thought ramping up the AC would be enough, why would I pay extra for Veranda cabins? Third, I do have other reasons for preferring a Veranda, such as having a tranquil place to enjoy a connection to the sea & shoreline, and a quiet place to enjoy time with my DH, or breakfast in our cabin (and many others have expressed similar reasons for booking Veranda cabins). BTW, we neither sleep with the Veranda open, nor leave it open all day, so these points are irrelevant to me.

Though I am pleased that you have noted my concerns, I hope Celebrity management (whom we are told read CC threads) notes them. And acts upon them. Neither of us can know when, why, and for how long the IVs are locked by the captain, because we haven’t yet sailed. We must rely on the posts made by those (like the OP) who have actually sailed on Edge. Based of their reports, I request that Celebrity set a policy to lock the IVs ONLY for the duration of the window washing, rain, or other unspecified reason deemed necessary by the captain.

Duly noted.

bon voyage