Majestic cruising Fiordland today 23 Dec

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Schmoopers said:

So, when you are cruising the Fjords, is is best to go up on deck, or is it preferable to view from the balcony in your room?  We sail from Auckland on 03/01/2019.  

Definitely up on deck, its a no brainer as they say. The fjords are awesome. Be prepared for rain.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Schmoopers said:

So, when you are cruising the Fjords, is is best to go up on deck, or is it preferable to view from the balcony in your room?  We sail from Auckland on 03/01/2019.  

As  said above ...up on deck for a 360 view of awesomeness. ....espec in Milford Sound to appreciate the grandeur and height of the mountains and waterfalls around you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Schmoopers said:

Definitely on deck, for several reasons:

- It's much easier to move from side to side to view things as they appear.

- You have much better access to towels, shelter, food etc, while viewing.

- You can take photos "across" the ship (ie: stand on the left side and shoot the right side) and get shots of the big screen, upper deck etc in your photo.

- You have access to the ship's photographers to take your photos, if that's something you want.

- If you're travelling in a larger group, there's a lot more room up there than on your balcony.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Schmoopers said:

Thank ya'll!  I thought it might be like Alaska - where the boat swung around to let both sides of the ship have the same view.  I can see how this will be different.  I think I'll go watch some YouTube videos!

They only do that in one point in Milford Sound. Otherwise it never turns around through Thompson/Doubtful/Dusky sounds.

I prefer up on deck in Alaska too.  Much more flexibility, and you're not at the mercy of the captain as to where they point the ship.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Schmoopers said:

Thank ya'll!  I thought it might be like Alaska - where the boat swung around to let both sides of the ship have the same view.  I can see how this will be different.  I think I'll go watch some YouTube videos!

Well for Milford Sound it sort of is as you sail in and then back out the same way but for the other sounds (they actually go in one, cut across to another and come back out of that one. So if only on one side you will miss the other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

Definitely up on deck, its a no brainer as they say. The fjords are awesome. Be prepared for rain.

Good advice - but you may also be lucky and have a perfect day like I got on Dec 20

32872463798_901a350f1a_b.jpg

46747823301_c33757a695_b.jpg

46694937622_0bbc86e5de_b.jpg

46747791391_ddc11d51e0_b.jpg

From the rear of the Celebrity Solstice as Captain Tasos was doing a donut in front of the waterfall - very special!!

46694898062_014810524d_b.jpg

Note the small yellow kayaks near the bottom of the waterfall

32872360668_7102708145_b.jpg

• Like 2

Yes, its all nice and pretty when the sun's out, rain's gone and wind has dropped. But, our best time there (I think we've been about 5 times) was when we did a road tour then went out into Milford Sound on an excursion boat and experienced the natural, raw energy of the Sound (fjord really) in its more usual state, pouring rain and strong winds. It was amazing watching the waterfalls flowing up, not down, due to the power of the wind. Unforgetable.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MargoK said:

23 December cruising Milford Sound on Majestic Princess watching Sol3mio. Bliss. We actually sat next to Dame Malvina Major. Lovely lady enjoying her first cruise. 

IMG_20181223_164530.jpg

How amazing.....she was watching the video of the talent her foundation help set up and put on the world stage. :classic_smile: