Room service question

masterty

Will AM room service enter the room themselves?? The very few times I have used it they would knock and knock until I answered the door. Is there a command or secret checkbox I can enable that gives them permission to enter in the AM and place my coffee on the table and leave? I can ensure you I and my DW will be covered up and decent. 

In our experience they absolutely will not enter unless you open the door. I'm not sure the regular delivery people even have the key to do so if you wanted them to. The only time I know of when they will come in without you opening the door is on embarkation when they are stocking the mini-bars. Even then, it may be the steward who lets them in.

They normally do not enter the room without the passenger opening the door and being there, although they do leave canapés in the afternoons, wine or champagne in ice buckets etc.

Most of the time they prefer someone to be there.

When they pick up my mini bar they asked me to be there but there have been times when I left it laid out on the bed.

• Like 1

You would have to leave the deadbolt unlocked all night while you were asleep. A non-starter for me. As is I imagine the idea of room service letting themselves into your room without someone being fully awake and upright is to Princess. Far too much liability for the cruise line; any passenger can easily claim they ticked the "enter without knocking" option by mistake and failed to hear the delivery person come in--and while the delivery person was in their cabin they stole something/leered at their sleeping teen daughter/fondled their underwear or heaven knows what else their litigious minds come up with.

Edited by fishywood
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Maybe they have to use a room steward to actually open the door for those things?  That way they'd be supervised.

Stewards enter/open when PAX nap. If RS could open my door and say "Good morning Mr X, may I come in? Here is your coffee. Have a nice day" and leave while I lay in bed that would be AWESOME.......

Once on our last cruise when I ordered RS and asked for a specific delivery time, we were on the balcony until 5 minutes before the appointed time. I'd been warned that they are normally there right on time, at the front end of the listed range. 

This time sure enough came a knock at precisely the requested time. I answered only to have the RS waiter apologize to me saying that they had been there for 5 minutes but waited outside as they did not get a response. 

From that time forward, I made certain I was ready a few minutes early.

This tells me that they will not enter the cabin with a passkey/passcode. 

On the CB, btw. 

• Thanks 1

RS people do not have pass keys like your room steward.  Therefore they cannot enter the room normally.  I have had them enter the room to deliver water I bought before boarding the ship and to exchange some of the liquor bottles in the bar setup.