Uniworld Progressive Dinner on the SS Maria Theresa

bubbulz

We opted for Uniworld's progressive dinner option one night since several in our group of friends were interested in visiting the engine room and some other areas of the ship that guests don't normally get to see. It was a multi-course dinner that had us enjoying different courses throughout the ship, including the galley, the wheelhouse, the laundry center, etc. Everything was very high-tech and utterly spotless - including every surface in the engine room. Everyone was glad to have chosen to do it. (I was amazed that they produce what they do every day given the relatively small size of the galley!)

DWQY+nB6Tlui7fHP9Oh3CA_thumb_5284.jpg

9oIWJwGKTAehvJzMXGTbQA_thumb_52c1.jpg

CfM8WGHORMyvtGlFpTEmaQ_thumb_547c.jpg

FOF3LinzQf+s03HZYSjjCw_thumb_52bc.jpg

mlrRzC6hQ2qMafDgsVStlQ_thumb_546e.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_529a.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5469.jpg

Y4jXmQuITb2oJAeAaXgK1g_thumb_543c.jpg

uvhF9hI6TgyoFwaJo9ywiQ_thumb_53f3.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_52a8.jpg

lGCzxZRMSGGC+k%fOWUMEQ_thumb_539c.jpg

fI5HUL5yRtSSK8uU2hp4cQ_thumb_53ef.jpg

Edited by bubbulz
  • Like 2

Looks more like progressive drinking, rather than dinner. 🤣 I saw lots of wine but only one picture of food.

But that's a pretty cool idea! It looks like a lot of fun, and a chance to explore parts of the ship that you don't usually see. Glad you enjoyed, and thanks for posting!

Edited by jpalbny

That really looks like a lot of fun.  I wish they had offered that when we were on the MT.  Have taken a break from River Cruising for some Ocean Cruises but thinking about a river cruise in 2020.  Hope they offer this as an option.  Thanks for sharing

3 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Looks more like progressive drinking, rather than dinner. 🤣 I saw lots of wine but only one picture of food.

But that's a pretty cool idea! It looks like a lot of fun, and a chance to explore parts of the ship that you don't usually see. Glad you enjoyed, and thanks for posting!

LOL! True!! I was more focused on my surroundings than the food, but did manage this shot of one of the appetizers. :classic_cool:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_52b2.jpg

One other note: There are certain areas of the ship where passengers are not allowed while the ship is underway due to liability issues, so the dinner was scheduled for an evening while we were docked. Also, several people had wished to visit the wheelhouse earlier in the week and the captain accommodated the group by allowing them to come up for a visit while we were stationary in one of the locks.

The captain had joked at one point about all of the cameras that were literally all over the boat, and while we were in the wheelhouse he showed us that really is true! I had looked around in the pool area and couldn't find a camera anywhere, but it's definitely there! 😉

8 minutes ago, bubbulz said:

One other note: There are certain areas of the ship where passengers are not allowed while the ship is underway due to liability issues, so the dinner was scheduled for an evening while we were docked. Also, several people had wished to visit the wheelhouse earlier in the week and the captain accommodated the group by allowing them to come up for a visit while we were stationary in one of the locks.

We did a wheelhouse tour while underway a couple of years ago on the Rhone and the captain let one of the guests steer the ship for a little while!! Thanks for posting. Great photos and a great opportunity to tour the ship.

1 minute ago, FuelScience said:

We did a wheelhouse tour while underway a couple of years ago on the Rhone and the captain let one of the guests steer the ship for a little while!! Thanks for posting. Great photos and a great opportunity to tour the ship.

Yep, from what we were told, they used to allow visits routinely but more recently it has become an insurance liability issue for the company so the policy was revised.

We also did the Progressive Dinner during our Christmas cruise in 2017. It was only available to 12 guest and available for sign up the first night. The tour of the ship visited about 7 different areas, starting at the wheelhouse, with a tasting of a different wine and an appetizer at each stop. It concluded with a private dinner in the Leopard Lounge. It was an option, I believe the cost was 40 Euro's pp., but well worth the experience.

Sadly left the Maria Theresa yesterday. We also were very happy to have opted for the progressive dinner. Also on the itinerary were the crew's dining/break room and their living quarters hallway. We were amused that the butler "Z" appeared at each stop with the food and wine, having taken a different route through the ship from us. It was one of many memorable experiences on our Christmas to New Years cruise. I'll write a review when I'm over jet lag!

On 1/3/2019 at 12:52 PM, jklc123 said:

We also were very happy to have opted for the progressive dinner. Also on the itinerary were the crew's dining/break room and their living quarters hallway. We were amused that the butler "Z" appeared at each stop with the food and wine, having taken a different route through the ship from us.

Yes! I had forgotten about that portion. We miss both 'Z' and Valentina! They were both outstanding.