Booking advice (from USA)

rafinmd

I have decided on a schedule which includes an August 2020 Transatlantic.  I would usually book on board or with a future cruise credit but do not have any left.  I will be on QV/QM2 in May.  Is there any reason to book the cruise now or better to wait and do an onboard booking?

Roy

On 1/2/2019 at 10:23 AM, rafinmd said:

I have decided on a schedule which includes an August 2020 Transatlantic.  I would usually book on board or with a future cruise credit but do not have any left.  I will be on QV/QM2 in May.  Is there any reason to book the cruise now or better to wait and do an onboard booking?

Roy

The main reason I can think of to book the cruise now in the US would be to take advantage of the current "Upgrades on Us" promotion. That offers what they are calling a free double upgrade (for example a BZ balcony for the price of an IA inside on QM2), free gratuities for past passengers, free drinks (up to $12) in the grills, and a reduced 12.5% deposit.

Another reason for booking now would be as insurance against a future fare increase. And since the current promotion has a refundable deposit, you could cancel and rebook in the US (up to 120 days before departure) if the fare drops. But then of course you would be rebooking under the terms of whatever promotion is in effect then.

Finally, if there is a specific cabin or location you prefer, booking now ensures you can get the cabin you want.

Now having said all that, in my view, waiting to get the extra OBC for booking on board outweighs those benefits, especially in Britannia grade where the free drinks offer does not apply, and considering a similar promotion might be in effect in May when you would be on board.

No way of knowing for sure which will be the better deal, but I am intending to wait and book on board this July (in Britannia grade) for a voyage in July 2020.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, bluemarble said:

The main reason I can think of to book the cruise now in the US would be to take advantage of the current "Upgrades on Us" promotion. That offers what they are calling a free double upgrade (for example a BZ balcony for the price of an IA inside on QM2), free gratuities for past passengers, free drinks (up to $12) in the grills, and a reduced 12.5% deposit.

Another reason for booking now would be as insurance against a future fare increase. And since the current promotion has a refundable deposit, you could cancel and rebook in the US (up to 120 days before departure) if the fare drops. But then of course you would be rebooking under the terms of whatever promotion is in effect then.

Finally, if there is a specific cabin or location you prefer, booking now ensures you can get the cabin you want.

Now having said all that, in my view, waiting to get the extra OBC for booking on board outweighs those benefits, especially in Britannia grade where the free drinks offer does not apply, and considering a similar promotion might be in effect in May when you would be on board.

No way of knowing for sure which will be the better deal, but I am intending to wait and book on board this July (in Britannia grade) for a voyage in July 2020.

The OBC for Future Cruise Credits is only $200 now, but it does offer the advantage of not requiring additional initial payments. The $300 cost of the Future Cruise Credit is applied as your initial payment. Wait until you are aboard and buy a couple of FCC's for future use. 

Booking onboard last week we were surprised to learn that the onboard booking OBC will be double the usual amount (i.e., $600/person in a balcony stateroom for a 12-night US booking). I have no idea why or how long that promotion is in effect. I never do understand all the little bits of credit that sum to the total.

3 hours ago, Underwatr said:

Booking onboard last week we were surprised to learn that the onboard booking OBC will be double the usual amount (i.e., $600/person in a balcony stateroom for a 12-night US booking). I have no idea why or how long that promotion is in effect. I never do understand all the little bits of credit that sum to the total.

I have seen Cunard offer that double OBC for booking certain cruises onboard before .

Could never take advantage as it was certain sailing dates only . 

• Thanks 1