Nostalgia for First Ship

Bee Guy

My wife's 70th birthday is in December of this year so we decided to book a cruise on the first ship we cruised on.   Freedom of the Seas.  We had an interior room and were filled with wonder as we wandered the ship and sat people watching in the promenade.  This will be the first time back to FOS.  Not expecting to be as awestruck, but am very excited about seeing our starting point again.

Edited by Bee Guy
  • Like 2

Nice- hope you have a great trip!  

A couple of years ago we went on the Grand Celebration (originally the Carnival Celebration) which was the first ship I ever sailed on back in '97  to celebrate my college graduation.  It was sort of a fun throwback.  Turns out my memories of the trip (e.g. friend I went with and people we met onboard) were/are stronger than the memories of the ship.  Of course the ship changed a lot including the names of all the venues so there wasn't much to jog my memory.

Lol!  Our 1st trip was Sovereign of the Seas...we had a deck 9 "superior" OV with a Tub!  Yes...some cheap cabins had bathtubs back then!    Both of us couldn't walk in the cabin at the same time...that's how SMALL a "superior" cabin was!  1st cruise...we said NEVER again...

From that point on, only JS or better.  Do not enjoy tight spaces like that!

Have fun, Bee Guy!

Your post brought back so many memories to me. My first cruise was 20 some years ago on the NCL Windward out of San Juan. This was way before Free Style cruising. We had booked an inside. When we boarded, we looked at the cabin, then turned right around, returned to check in, and upgraded to an outside.  It was so small. Our ship was later cut in half, made bigger, and renamed the Norwegian Wind I believe.  I think it still sails for another company now. We made some friends on that sailing. Cruising was so special back then. I had to talk hubby into that first cruise. He booked it to make me happy, but became hooked on cruising as much as I was. Since that time, my husband has passed. But my "kids" and I are able to continue to share the fun and excitement of cruising that started with that very first one.

Happy 70th to your wife!

• Like 1