NYC views on Canada/NE cruise, which side?

snoopy5386

12 minutes ago, snoopy5386 said:

We are booking a Canda/New England cruise from Cape Liberty and can choose a balcony cabin on either the port or starboard side. Which side would afford better views of NYC and the Statue of Liberty?

The port side.

The ship is docked about 4 miles south of the SOL and is even further from lower Manhattan.

Here’s a thread that discusses this and has a map.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2317424-does-the-anthem-pass-by-the-statue-of-liberty-from-jersey/

Edited by 138east

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

I wouldn't worry about it. Just go on deck for a look. You won't see much from Cape Liberty that makes cabin selection worth the effort.

I agree.  On Adventure my preference would be to be close to the aft elevators.

You need to be on deck since Manhattan and SOL are on opposite sides.  If you are on your balcony, you miss half the show. There are times you may also want to be at the rear of the ship. Remember to also be on deck for return to NYC, even if it is early in the morning.  A couple of sample pictures.

IMG_0095a.jpg

IMG_0129a.jpg

Oops - I see you are leaving from Cape Liberty.  These are taken from a Manhattan departure.  From Cape Liberty you will be pretty far south of Manhattan for a good look.  I still recommend being on deck.

OP:  just to give you some sense of where things are, here's a photo I took from the balcony of our cabin on the port side of Anthem of the Seas, when we were docked in Cape Liberty; that's lower Manhattan visible behind the Statue of Liberty.  (I used a zoom lens here; the subjects are not that close to Cape Liberty.)  

I agree that you should be on deck for sailaway, and certainly when you go under the Verrazzano. 

Enjoy your cruise!

enhance

(photo by turtles06)

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 1

What about the views when sailing from the Manhattan cruise terminal ???  The Insignia does the Canada/New England

cruise sept 1, 2019.  oh just realized the above pictures are from Manhattan---definitely a Wow moment.

What side of ship were you on ?

arl_nocaps

1 hour ago, arl_nocaps said:

What about the views when sailing from the Manhattan cruise terminal ???  The Insignia does the Canada/New England

cruise sept 1, 2019.  oh just realized the above pictures are from Manhattan---definitely a Wow moment.

arl_nocaps

See my note/pictures above relating to the Manhattan cruise terminal.

23 hours ago, arl_nocaps said:

arl_nocaps

22 hours ago, mskaufman said:

See my note/pictures above relating to the Manhattan cruise terminal.

Just to answer the "side" question -- when you are leaving from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, Manhattan will be on the port side, and the Statue of Liberty will be on the starboard side.   It's best to be up on a high deck to take it all in.  It's truly one of the most spectacular sailaways in the world.  

I've sailed out of Manhattan many times on cruises embarking from there -- in daylight -- but not until November was I there on a port call.  That gave us an evening departure, and a spectacular sail past the lights of Manhattan.

enhance

(photo by turtles06)

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 2

Its not only the sailaway but also the sail in.  We got up at sunrise for the sail in.  It way a lot emptier on deck and we got a lot of great photos.  Between going out and coming back we took about 600 images.

• Like 1