Jump to content
Host Jazzbeau

Egypt Choices

Recommended Posts

I'm starting to research a trip to Egypt and Petra with a Nile cruise etc. and wanted to get recommendations on which cruise line to book.  So far I have identified:  Viking (with the new ship Ra), Uniworld, A&K, and NatGeo.  I have read reviews here for the first two, but not the others.  And there may be choices I haven't even identified yet – but I would like to have at least the luxury and reliability of Viking or Uniworld, not a 'quaint' old ship powered and air-conditioned by the prevailing breezes!  Any opinions?  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m going with GCT, but undoubtedly it wouldn’t be luxurious enough for you.  I’ve sailed twice with Uniworld, loved it, but my cruises with GCT have been fine...but definitely not luxurious!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just realized I’m going with Overseas Adventure Travel, not GCt.

Edited by Barrheadlass
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We did Uniworld in January, 2018 and it was wonderful. Great ship, excellent service and our Egyptologist who was with us the entire trip was A+. From reading recent reviews, it sounds like Uniworld has even improved. I don't think you'll go wrong with Uniworld. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were on the Uniworld River Tosca last month and it was super!!!  We could not have asked for a better experience.  The Egyptologists, the crew, the itinerary, the food, and the ship were absolutely outstanding.  

 

Visiting Egypt is a once in a lifetime experience and I recommend you go with the cruise line that provides the best tours and support.

 

Good luck and have fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We went with A&K last January and really enjoyed it. Their limit is 18 per group, although there were others on the sailing portion. Our Egyptologist was outstanding and was with us the entire trip. Abu Simbel was included, which was a highlight for us. (Not an optional). The only option sold was a private tour with our guide (and a security guard) to see Coptic Cairo on the last day. We did this extra tour and found it fascinating. A&K started our tour with two nights at the Mena House hotel, which was wonderful. It was only a few minutes on the bus to the pyramids. Also, the view from our room of the Great Pyramid was amazing! The last three nights were at the Four Seasons in Cairo. The ship was somewhat older, but fine. Food was great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2019 at 4:52 PM, Barrheadlass said:

Just realized I’m going with Overseas Adventure Travel, not GCt.

 

I am also going with OAT.  Leaving September 11 and I am so excited for this trip!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m looking to book for Jan 2020 and right now it looks to be Uniworld after reading all the reviews.  I’m just waiting for their schedule and prices to come out.  Viking has 2 ships but little availability.  

 

FYI, Scenic and Emerald are also sailing the Nile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2019 at 4:19 AM, fred111 said:

We were on the Uniworld River Tosca last month and it was super!!!  We could not have asked for a better experience.  The Egyptologists, the crew, the itinerary, the food, and the ship were absolutely outstanding.  

 

Visiting Egypt is a once in a lifetime experience and I recommend you go with the cruise line that provides the best tours and support.

 

Good luck and have fun.

 

Fred is there a particular cabin or side of the ship to stay on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EllaDuChien said:

 

I am also going with OAT.  Leaving September 11 and I am so excited for this trip!

I’m not going until next March so would love to hear what you think.  I’ve traveled with OAT a bunch of times and haven’t been disappointed.  I’m excited too!  Have a great time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, anthonyy7 said:

I’m looking to book for Jan 2020 and right now it looks to be Uniworld after reading all the reviews.  I’m just waiting for their schedule and prices to come out.  Viking has 2 ships but little availability.  

 

FYI, Scenic and Emerald are also sailing the Nile.

 

Can I ask what in particular decided you on Uniworld above the others?  I haven't sailed on any of these lines, and of course the experience in Egypt is likely to be different from their main stomping grounds in Europe, so I would value your opinions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

 

Can I ask what in particular decided you on Uniworld above the others?  I haven't sailed on any of these lines, and of course the experience in Egypt is likely to be different from their main stomping grounds in Europe, so I would value your opinions.

 

First of all we've never been on a river cruise before and have no experience with any of the lines however I know this itinerary will be a different experience vs Europe.  Most of the itineraries seem similar but there are differences and number of days, etc..  Viking and Uniworld look to have a dedicated ship and offer better service.  There seems to be mostly reviews of Uniworld and Viking.  U has more positive ones.  The price is cheaper plus starting this year they are including the gratuities and beverages making it more all inclusive.  Their extended Jordan add on is cheaper as well.  Viking is practically sold out until late 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, anthonyy7 said:

 

First of all we've never been on a river cruise before and have no experience with any of the lines however I know this itinerary will be a different experience vs Europe.  Most of the itineraries seem similar but there are differences and number of days, etc..  Viking and Uniworld look to have a dedicated ship and offer better service.  There seems to be mostly reviews of Uniworld and Viking.  U has more positive ones.  The price is cheaper plus starting this year they are including the gratuities and beverages making it more all inclusive.  Their extended Jordan add on is cheaper as well.  Viking is practically sold out until late 2020.

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

anthonyy7,  We were in cabin 214.  It was right in the middle of the ship and easy to get everywhere.  Very quiet and always had a view of the Nile.  I would pick it again.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IIRC, Uniworld is introducing a new ship for its Egypt itinerary for 2020. We had initially planned to go this March, for our 25th anniversary, but decided on the Adriatic instead. Egypt is definitely a future trip though.

 

Robin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks anthonyy7 for the mention of Scenic.  I looked up their offerings and they seem really good.  Scenic has a reputation for being absolutely top of the line, until something goes wrong and they seem to fall down badly.  But I still have at least a year before anybody opens their 2021 bookings, so I will be watching all these lines.  New Viking ship, new Uniworld ship next year, and how Scenic handles next year's weather troubles [whatever they may be...].  Good choices to have!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will be leaving on 1/24 to start our journey to Egypt via Dubai, Jordon (pretrip) and cruise.

We chose Uniworld.  Have used in Europe and wanted the all inclusive option.

Will report back after/during the trip.

I wonder how the new ship will be...I might have delayed for a year...but truth be told, I am really ready for this trip now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have done four river cruises in the past few years, three with Vantage World Travel and always found their cruises/tours to be excellent. Also, when we compare with Viking, Scenic, AMA, Avalon and Uniworld, Vantage is always lower priced.

 

I did Egypt and a Nile cruise back in 1985 when the choices were ships operated by Hilton, Marriott and Sheraton.  We did Marriott and it was great. However, I don't know if those cruises still exist.

 

Recommend comparing on a spread sheet with number of days, tours included along with price.  Also, Viking makes you pay like a year in advance.  Not for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were on Uniworld in October and thought they did a terrific job! Even numbered staterooms assure you will face the Nile when docked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Win a Cruise with the Most Highly-Awarded Small Ship Cruise Line in Alaska
      • Q&A with Daniel Skjeldam, CEO Hurtigruten
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Community Contests
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×