Crossing the Tasman Sea

Little Monty

On 1/6/2019 at 9:11 PM, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

Some people were on phone with Christchurch cancelling excursions and they could not understand they said there weren’t weather issues. The two previous poets they said we barely got in. This has got us confused. 

Sometimes it is not getting into port that is the problem but getting out of port hours later. We just had the experience last week where our call at Trapani, Sicily was cancelled. In the announcement the Captain said that, while the weather, particularly the winds, would be okay for our arrival, it might not be at departure time and we could be stuck there for days. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Sometimes it is not getting into port that is the problem but getting out of port hours later. We just had the experience last week where our call at Trapani, Sicily was cancelled. In the announcement the Captain said that, while the weather, particularly the winds, would be okay for our arrival, it might not be at departure time and we could be stuck there for days. 

True!  We had the same thing happen at a port in Norway on our Homelands cruise.  In fact the ship was only a few feet from docking when the captain announced that we were leaving!  The weather forecast was for high winds later and the captain said we had to leave or risk being stuck there for a few days.  Ah, the decisions a captain has to make!

9 minutes ago, moatenote said:

True!  We had the same thing happen at a port in Norway on our Homelands cruise.  In fact the ship was only a few feet from docking when the captain announced that we were leaving!  The weather forecast was for high winds later and the captain said we had to leave or risk being stuck there for a few days.  Ah, the decisions a captain has to make!

That's why we got paid the Big Bucks....  Hahahaha. 😎

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

So very true.

Another consideration is remaining alongside throughout the entire port visit. It's no fun being on the Bridge when a huge squall hits and the gangway detaches, as you hear the mooring lines part. Tends to get the Captain's blood pressure elevated.

On 1/6/2019 at 6:11 PM, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

Christchurch is a total mystery. Some people were on phone with Christchurch cancelling excursions and they could not understand they said there weren’t weather issues.

The Captain bases his decisions on weather forecasts, some of which are reliable, others possibly not so much. He/she considers the entire time a ship is scheduled to be in port, not just the docking.

I can assure you the Captain does not cancel a port without good reason, as the decision is taken for your safety and that of the ship.

Personally, I value the Captain's opinion more than tour providers, who are being financially impacted by cancelling a port of call. Posting this type of 2nd hand information, only drives 2nd guessing the Captain and really doesn't help the situation.

• Like 3

On 1/7/2019 at 1:10 AM, Little Monty said:

In the Living Room bar right now. Overhearing several very unhappy guests who came on this cruise with 2 ‘must-sees’ ...Christchurch and Hobart.

Very unhappy that they will miss both.

I’m not judging .. just reporting 😡

Andy’s explanation above is likely correct .. a crew member told us Lyttelton is a challenge at the best of times and almost impossible in windy conditions.

FYI Christchurch wharf has never recovered from the 2011 earthquake and cruise ships almost exclusively go to Lyttelton (again, that is what I was told)

Little Monty,

Thank you so much for your real time reporting!  It is unfortunate to miss Hobart & Christchurch but I appreciate the caution on the part of the captain.  I am arming myself w/ patches & seasickness pills but hope that our crossing will be calmer in March.  

• 3 weeks later...

What were the activities and locations people hoped to see in Christchurch?  When I visited I didn't get to see that much.  

I have considered a NZ-Aus cruise or just flying into Aus as I have been to NZ a few times already.

hello zitsky  ... I can't speak for others but as we have been to NZ many times we weren't too upset about missing Christchurch. I was however disappointed for all of those who had not. We have skied a number of areas in the south island, including Mt Hutt not far from Christchurch.

Christchurch did of course suffer greatly in the 2011 earthquake and it has never fully recovered - although the city does have lovely botanical gardens etc and the area around Lyttleton Harbour is quite nice.

Other areas nearby Christchurch are quite lovely. One fond memory I have was standing on a beach just north of Christchurch (in spring) years ago watching the dolphins playing just 50 yards or so offshore - and then turning around to see snow-capped mountains against a clear blue sky in the distance. It was magical - and that is the sort of experience I think first time visitors would have enjoyed.

Edited by Little Monty
error

Cruise ships have never docked at Christchurch, it is an inland city.   Since Lyttleton was destroyed by the earthquakes, ships have been going into Akaroa.  It is a 90 minute bus drive each way to Christchurch from Akaroa.  In December (last month) we were updated on the rebuilding of Lyttleton, but I wasn't aware any passenger vessels are able to use it yet.  Very strong winds might have kept your ship out of Akaroa because it might not have been safe to lower the tenders.  We missed Bay of Islands because winds were too strong to safely lower the tenders.  I thought Akaroa was more protected, but it could have been a reason.  It is nice when the Captain explains why a port is missed though. As Captain Heidi said, there can be weather issues later on that the Captain has to consider.

I have crossed from Hobart to NZ a few times, always with calm seas.  What are the odds!  These crossings were in November though, which makes a difference.  In late January we headed up the Tasman Sea from Dunedin back to Sydney, so missed the open ocean.

Edited by Port Power

23 hours ago, Port Power said:

Cruise ships have never docked at Christchurch, it is an inland city.   Since Lyttleton was destroyed by the earthquakes, ships have been going into Akaroa.  It is a 90 minute bus drive each way to Christchurch from Akaroa.  In December (last month) we were updated on the rebuilding of Lyttleton, but I wasn't aware any passenger vessels are able to use it yet.  Very strong winds might have kept your ship out of Akaroa because it might not have been safe to lower the tenders.  We missed Bay of Islands because winds were too strong to safely lower the tenders.  

Hello Port Power ... I missed your post and am just catching up.

Our itinerary said Christchurch / Lyttleton and the Captain spoke about Lyttleton so I assume that was where we were heading and where the high wind problem was. There was no suggestion we were ever heading to Akaroa. I seem to recall someone saying larger ships have no option but to use Akaroa.

I think Jim A above confirmed the World Cruise berthed in Lyttleton last year but I would be interested if anyone on-board Orion now could confirm where they are right now (Orion is in 'Christchurch' today).

This is from cruisemapper website for the location of Viking Orion ...

Christchurch (Lyttelton, New Zealand)

4 hours ago, Little Monty said:

I think I can answer my own question :classic_biggrin:

https://viking.panomax.com/orion

The webcam on Orion shows them in Lyttleton (click on 'Overview Map' for confirmation)

Thank you for this info.  Christchurch is a much shorter drive from Lyttleton and it seems the smaller ships can take that advantage.  When weather permits though, as in your case.  Lyttleton is continuing to build too.