Beverage Packages

Hello! I am going on the 7 night North bound Alaska cruise in June. We are cruising on the Radiance of the Seas. I am trying to decide if I want to purchase the Deluxe beverage package, the Refreshment package or just the coke Package. The Deluxe Package (includes alcoholic drinks, specialty coffees and cokes..etc) is currently $50 a day. When I looked before I believe it said the price was around $70 a day. I do not drink enough alcohol to make $70 a day worth it. So, I decided to buy the package that gets you the specialty coffees and such ($29 a day) and I will just buy an alcoholic beverage or two a day. Well, now that the price is $50 a day I am wondering if it would be worth buying the Deluxe package that will include the alcoholic beverages and the specialty drinks. I can not remember the average prices of the drinks (alcoholic and non alcoholic, with the specialty coffees) on the ship so I am wondering if any of you have any thoughts on what my best option would be. I hope my question makes since. Thank you for any help and advice.

70 dollars is just ridiculous and a swear they just quote a high prices just so they can run a sale and make it look like you are getting a deal.  Since you purchased the Refreshment package for $29 you are only talking about adding another $21 plus tip a day. That's about 2 alcohol based drinks a day. Seems like you are at the same point you would be if you just followed  your original plan. If you think you will drink more alcohol than it may be worth the extra money for the package.

Keep in mind your itinerary. How many sea days do you have? Will you be going to one of RC private islands where you can use the drink package? I'm on a 9 day cruise with 4 sea days plus Labadee so the $50 drink package would work for me.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dolphinseas143 said:

Hello! I am going on the 7 night North bound Alaska cruise in June. We are cruising on the Radiance of the Seas. I am trying to decide if I want to purchase the Deluxe beverage package, the Refreshment package or just the coke Package. The Deluxe Package (includes alcoholic drinks, specialty coffees and cokes..etc) is currently $50 a day. When I looked before I believe it said the price was around $70 a day. I do not drink enough alcohol to make $70 a day worth it. So, I decided to buy the package that gets you the specialty coffees and such ($29 a day) and I will just buy an alcoholic beverage or two a day. Well, now that the price is $50 a day I am wondering if it would be worth buying the Deluxe package that will include the alcoholic beverages and the specialty drinks. I can not remember the average prices of the drinks (alcoholic and non alcoholic, with the specialty coffees) on the ship so I am wondering if any of you have any thoughts on what my best option would be. I hope my question makes since. Thank you for any help and advice.

Typical drink prices: Beer: $6.50 to $8.50, Basic well drinks: around $9, Fancy (blender, frozen, upper shelf) cocktails: around $12 to $13.  Add 18% for tips.

• Like 1

My favorite topic.  Iamcruizin is spot on here.   Since you already have the .Refreshment package, water, fresh squeezed juice, and specialty coffee is already in your price.   If you figure you may have a drink at dinner and one at the evening show, you're already talking $20-$25 more a day.   So close, for me at least, that it makes sense to get the package...BECAUSE...the one thing I consider important is the "I don't have to worry about it" factor.  Should I get a drink?   How much am I spending? etc....with the package you don't have to worry about that, so even if you are within a couple of bucks of breaking even, the peace of mind of being on auto pilot makes it completely worthwhile.

Enjoy your cruise.

5 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

70 dollars is just ridiculous and a swear they just quote a high prices just so they can run a sale and make it look like you are getting a deal.  Since you purchased the Refreshment package for $29 you are only talking about adding another $21 plus tip a day. That's about 2 alcohol based drinks a day. Seems like you are at the same point you would be if you just followed  your original plan. If you think you will drink more alcohol than it may be worth the extra money for the package.

Keep in mind your itinerary. How many sea days do you have? Will you be going to one of RC private islands where you can use the drink package? I'm on a 9 day cruise with 4 sea days plus Labadee so the $50 drink package would work for me.

Edited by zdad59
  • Like 1

If you already have the $29/day specialty package and were considering that you would purchase 1-2 alcoholic beverages a day, the $50/day UBP is definitely worth it for you.  A glass of wine runs around $12 - get two glasses of wine per day along with your specialty package, and you've already busted the $50/day mark.  And consider this - if you get an alcoholic beverage you don't like on UBP - just toss it and get another!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Mandywin62 said:

Dreadpirate3

How did you know to book this on Black Friday? Do you know if RCI regularly reduce the price of the packages?

With RCL you never "Know" for sure what a price will be on any given day.   They do what is essentially market based and timed pricing.     If things are selling well, you may not see the price go down.   If they aren't getting the volume they want, you may see a price drop.

Black Friday sales are usually pretty good.    For my sailing this February on Allure, we saw no Black Friday price drop.   There was a random sale in the fall where I booked it for $49pp/pd, but it typically stayed $50-$52.   Then all of a sudden and unannounced, the price for our sailing went to $44pp/pd.   Cancelled the purchase I made earlier and rebooked at the lower price.

So book a price you're willing to pay when you see it, then keep an eye on your cruise planner for the price going lower.

3 minutes ago, Mandywin62 said:

Hi

Did RCL contact you in a sales email or did you happen to spot this on their website

RC’s emails are generally helpful-information-free. 

The best method is to check your Cruise Planner often, preferably daily. 

11 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Thank you very much. You make a good point!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dreadpirate3 said:

We love the refreshment package and get it every time we cruise. We booked it over the Black Friday weekend at $17 per person, per day. I buy any drinks I want over that, but that is averaging 1-2 per day.

Wow that's great! I wish I had thought to check on these during Black Friday. It didn't even cross my mind! Lesson learned for sure!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LittleMissMagic said:

If you already have the $29/day specialty package and were considering that you would purchase 1-2 alcoholic beverages a day, the $50/day UBP is definitely worth it for you.  A glass of wine runs around $12 - get two glasses of wine per day along with your specialty package, and you've already busted the $50/day mark.  And consider this - if you get an alcoholic beverage you don't like on UBP - just toss it and get another!

Thats a good point. Thank you very much. 

18 hours ago, Dolphinseas143 said:

Here is a spreadsheet to calculate if it is worth it for you are not. 

Beverage Program Calculation.xls

• Like 3

8 hours ago, zdad59 said:

My favorite topic.  Iamcruizin is spot on here.   Since you already have the .Refreshment package, water, fresh squeezed juice, and specialty coffee is already in your price.   If you figure you may have a drink at dinner and one at the evening show, you're already talking $20-$25 more a day.   So close, for me at least, that it makes sense to get the package...BECAUSE...the one thing I consider important is the "I don't have to worry about it" factor.  Should I get a drink?   How much am I spending? etc....with the package you don't have to worry about that, so even if you are within a couple of bucks of breaking even, the peace of mind of being on auto pilot makes it completely worthwhile.

Enjoy your cruise.

You make a great point. Part of the appeal of these packages (for me at least) is that I have the peace of mind to not have to pinch pennies or think about if I am spending more then I should on any type of drink. I like having it prepaid and then no more need to think about it. Thank you very much.

• Like 1