St. Petersburg question

midwestchick

32 minutes ago, nordski said:

I should have mentioned that some of the companies providing tours of St. Petersburg also may have a combination or package offerings for other Baltic ports.

Or, at least they used to do so.

Thank you.  Yes, I noticed that.  I have some ideas planned for Amsterdam but feel free to offer ideas on the other ports since these are new to us.  When we disembark in Stockholm, we will go to the airport to fly home.  

8 hours ago, midwestchick said:

Thank you.  Yes, I noticed that.  I have some ideas planned for Amsterdam but feel free to offer ideas on the other ports since these are new to us.  When we disembark in Stockholm, we will go to the airport to fly home.  

Actually, when applicable we mostly used Rick Steves’s guidebook for Northern European Cruise ports. We also consulted the Ports of Call section on this board.

We felt that virtually all of the ports on our itinerary were very accessible with a DIY approach except of course, as  uktog points out, St. Petersburg. Usually there were shuttles provided when the ship berthed somewhat far from the regular attractions (Tallinn). And public transit was efficient in many cities such as Helsinki.

I would recommend a stay over in Stockholm if possible as it is a beautiful and interesting city.

If you list the ports you will be visiting, other posters may have more useful suggestions and/or corrections to this post.

11 hours ago, nordski said:

Actually, when applicable we mostly used Rick Steves’s guidebook for Northern European Cruise ports. We also consulted the Ports of Call section on this board.

We felt that virtually all of the ports on our itinerary were very accessible with a DIY approach except of course, as  uktog points out, St. Petersburg. Usually there were shuttles provided when the ship berthed somewhat far from the regular attractions (Tallinn). And public transit was efficient in many cities such as Helsinki.

I would recommend a stay over in Stockholm if possible as it is a beautiful and interesting city.

If you list the ports you will be visiting, other posters may have more useful suggestions and/or corrections to this post.

Thank you.  I haven’t looked at the ports of call for other port stops except for St. Petersburg.  The tour guides I’m getting quotes from also offer things for the the other ports,  but we do like to DIY when we can. 

We sail from London ( Greenwich) to:

Amsterdam

Sail the Kiel Canal

Copenhagen

Helsinki

St. Petersburg 3 days

Tallin 8:00 until 3:00

Stockholm-Disembarkation

29 minutes ago, midwestchick said:

Thank you.  I haven’t looked at the ports of call for other port stops except for St. Petersburg.  The tour guides I’m getting quotes from also offer things for the the other ports,  but we do like to DIY when we can. 

Amsterdam

Sail the Kiel Canal

Copenhagen

Helsinki

St. Petersburg 3 days

Stockholm-Disembarkation

Great itinerary! Love the three days in St. Petersburg. We are envious!

I believe you will also use a shuttle in Copenhagen. If you have time, you might consider a boat tour of the harbour in Copenhagen. Great views of the waterfront including the statue of The Little Mermaid.

Although you won’t be up close and personal with the statue you will avoid the crowds taking a selfie with her. 😄

We would consider all of those ports eminently doable on your own.

If not staying in Stockholm, I assume Azamara will offer a transfer to the airport which will be some distance away from the port location they will likely use.

57 minutes ago, nordski said:

Great itinerary! Love the three days in St. Petersburg. We are envious!

I believe you will also use a shuttle in Copenhagen. If you have time, you might consider a boat tour of the harbour in Copenhagen. Great views of the waterfront including the statue of The Little Mermaid.

Although you won’t be up close and personal with the statue you will avoid the crowds taking a selfie with her. 😄

We would consider all of those ports eminently doable on your own.

If not staying in Stockholm, I assume Azamara will offer a transfer to the airport which will be some distance away from the port location they will likely use.

I noticed some ships get two days and some get one day.  Azamara does it right.  All of the ports are new to us so I’m clueless as to how far the ports are from any attractions or city centers.  I do know Helsinki has, among other things, Senate Center complex for some shopping. 😁 :classic_cool:

• Like 1

Helsinki walk to Senate Square.  Copenhagen depends on berth but we have often walked to Nyhavn area.  Tallinn usually has a shuttle but it is only about a mile to the old town where everything is (and a nice shopping mall across the street).  Stockholm shuttle to city center,  main attractions walkable from there.   Kiel Canal is a nice, peaceful ride through agricultural land and dairy farms.  You really don't need a tour in any of those ports.

1 minute ago, midwestchick said:

I noticed some ships get two days and some get one day.  Azamara does it right.  All of the ports are new to us so I’m clueless as to how far the ports are from any attractions or city centers.  I do know Helsinki has, among other things, Senate Center complex for some shopping. 😁 :classic_cool:

I should think that in Amsterdam you will be within walking distance of the main train station and travel hub. 

in Helsinki we were docked a few steps from a downtown market. I assume there is transit, if needed, to take you your shopping destination.

Likely the book by Rick Steves will provide a convenient map.

We have used Alla twice, highly recommend them for their great guides! Both times definitely saw and did a lot more than the ship’s tour. Have known others taking SPB, TJ and Tours by Local and all agree that a private tour in St. Petersburg was worth it. Note that these have to be booked in advance and AZ wanted to know when we checked in what our private tour arrangements were. They gave us a time to go through Russian Immigration and because we had made plans to meet our guide earlier, AZ changed it no problem... we had two groups on one of Alla’s shared tour... 16 people or less per bus.... I highly recommend the tour that goes to the Faberge museum!

We also used a priority line at the Hermitage and Catherine’s palace so we did not have to wait in the long lines! 

Enjoy St. Petersburg, it is a beautiful city to tour!

Helsinki a transit pass was €8 for a full day in 2016 including  the Green trams (which we took  to the Rock Church) and the ferry out to Suomenlinna Island.

we  have used Dancing Bears when on 2 Azamara cruises and they were brilliant on both occasions. Guides spoke perfect English. Driver great. They suggested tours and amended them to fit in our specific requests. They pickrd great local.restaurants etc. In June we even had a day in Kronstadt. At all museums we were taken straight in and the driver met us at the exit. Would thoroughly recommend. 6 star service

22 hours ago, Turangi! said:

We have used Alla twice, highly recommend them for their great guides! Both times definitely saw and did a lot more than the ship’s tour. Have known others taking SPB, TJ and Tours by Local and all agree that a private tour in St. Petersburg was worth it. Note that these have to be booked in advance and AZ wanted to know when we checked in what our private tour arrangements were. They gave us a time to go through Russian Immigration and because we had made plans to meet our guide earlier, AZ changed it no problem... we had two groups on one of Alla’s shared tour... 16 people or less per bus.... I highly recommend the tour that goes to the Faberge museum!

We also used a priority line at the Hermitage and Catherine’s palace so we did not have to wait in the long lines! 

Enjoy St. Petersburg, it is a beautiful city to tour!

Helsinki a transit pass was €8 for a full day in 2016 including  the Green trams (which we took  to the Rock Church) and the ferry out to Suomenlinna Island.

Thank you for the tips.  Alla is one of the tour companies I’ve contacted. It will be between them and TJ.  We’re doing a private tour, so we’re planning things that aren’t so strenuous.  

44 minutes ago, manc said:

we  have used Dancing Bears when on 2 Azamara cruises and they were brilliant on both occasions. Guides spoke perfect English. Driver great. They suggested tours and amended them to fit in our specific requests. They pickrd great local.restaurants etc. In June we even had a day in Kronstadt. At all museums we were taken straight in and the driver met us at the exit. Would thoroughly recommend. 6 star service

Dancing Bears is one I’ve not heard of.  We’ve pretty much planned things and will finalize this coming week.

MidwestChick

Have a great trip... I found the ceilings, in the Hermitage to be spectacular... the churches,  especially the Church of the Spilt Blood  also have amazing ceilings...SO LOOK UP!!!!  (But keep an eye on your valuables at Spilt Blood... very crowded... otherwise felt perfectly safe in St. Petersburg!)

The subway is also a must even if you only go in and out of one station... 

The Faberge Museum is quite small and the eggs are all in one room, but the entire museum is fascinating if you like decorative arts.

The Hermitage is overwhelming and the major Madonnas are crowded but a must see...   I always suggest that one consider reading The Madonnas of Leningrad.... before touring the Hermitage!!!!  

Don’t forget to take a picture of your booties at Catherine’s palace....  and be on the lookout for brides doing photoshoots out there!!!  I have a lovely picture of one from there from our first trip!  Finally, if you are lucky on a private tour you can get some pictures as the rooms clear out if you lag behind the big group!

One last suggestion is that the hydrofoil out to Peterhof is a snooze, which is what we did  on it!  

In August last year we were on the Journey and did a 3 day tour with TJ Travel.  Highly recommend them.  We did their 3 day tour with the 2nd day going to Moscow on the train.  Yes it was a long day but totally worth it.  A representative from the TJ office met us when we got off our ship and accompanied us to the train station and on the train to Moscow (4 hours)  We were then met by the Moscow guide and delivered back to the train and  met up with the TJ representative for the trip back to St Petersburg.

Both guides from TJ were excellent, as were the drivers.  The first two days we had 12 on our tour but the last day there was only 6 of us.

Our guide was able to change things around a bit to suit us. 
The guides and driver spoke good English.  Lunches were provided.

TJ sorted all the paperwork and their communication via email was excellent.

On 1/12/2019 at 7:13 PM, Turangi! said:

highly recommend the tour that goes to the Faberge museum!

When I was investigating last year I found that Alla were the only Government approved tour company who included the Faberge museum. 

I also used the Ports of Call section on these boards (Northern Europe). Possibly the most useful detailed information, which I found, before reading UK tog’s  very helpful information above regarding the variety of visa entry, but remember last year was a special case for FIFA visa, due to the World Cup.

We used SPB in 2015, but last year , I had booked ship’s tours as I wanted to see different places than we had previously visited. However, we were denied entry into St Petersburg, we were told that Silhouette was too big to enter the narrow channel in the windy conditions which prevailed. Celebrity refunded my excursion money that evening.

Be happy that you will be on Journey, as we saw her in Stockholm and I later found out that she was allowed into St Petersburg, due to her smaller size, on July1/2 2018.

Top picture via Google.

16097F31-1669-46E8-941E-BDCCA9157D8F.jpeg

6AE12EAF-3C50-421D-9DD3-BEEDD0D92929.jpeg

Edited by upwarduk

We were on the Eclipse and were permitted to dock in SPG on July 6 & 7, 2018. According to revised port authority rules , ship excursions were permitted to exit the ships before private excursions groups. This only effected the first day of tours that had to go through immigration & waS A SLOW PROCESS.

So were you able to dock opposite the Hermitage?  

Each dock seems to have different rules so your experience may not be directly comparable if you were not at English Embankment.  

Whatever, everyone has to recognise that the authorities in Russia will invoke very slow processes and can be very inconsistent in any decisions they make.  So cruisers have to relax and realise they will not be in any control of their timetable each day.

9 hours ago, upwarduk said:

When I was investigating last year I found that Alla were the only Government approved tour company who included the Faberge museum. 

I also used the Ports of Call section on these boards (Northern Europe). Possibly the most useful detailed information, which I found, before reading UK tog’s  very helpful information above regarding the variety of visa entry, but remember last year was a special case for FIFA visa, due to the World Cup.

We used SPB in 2015, but last year , I had booked ship’s tours as I wanted to see different places than we had previously visited. However, we were denied entry into St Petersburg, we were told that Silhouette was too big to enter the narrow channel in the windy conditions which prevailed. Celebrity refunded my excursion money that evening.

Be happy that you will be on Journey, as we saw her in Stockholm and I later found out that she was allowed into St Petersburg, due to her smaller size, on July1/2 2018.

Top picture via Google.

16097F31-1669-46E8-941E-BDCCA9157D8F.jpeg

6AE12EAF-3C50-421D-9DD3-BEEDD0D92929.jpeg

Thank you for posting the pictures.  What is the name of the pier Azamara births at?  Due to the fact there are many things we want to see, the Faberge Museum was not something that was a priority for us.  

It berths at the English Embankment

I would not discount a trip to the Faberge Museum as its capacity controlled and you get much closer to the most amazing artefacts than you will see elsewhere.  

Here are examples

IMG_2172.jpg

IMG_2188.jpg

IMG_2201.jpg

Edited by uktog
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, uktog said:

It berths at the English Embankment

I would not discount a trip to the Faberge Museum as its capacity controlled and you get much closer to the most amazing artefacts than you will see elsewhere.  

Here are examples

IMG_2172.jpg

IMG_2188.jpg

IMG_2201.jpg

I know the pieces are stunning but the museum doesn’t interest me.

And for the poster that thought only one tour company could go there, it’s listed on all of my quotes so more tour companies must now be allowed. 

UKTOG,

Glad you enjoyed the Faberge!  Great photos!  The first time we went to St. Petersburg unfortunately to see Faberge eggs one had to go to Moscow (and I really looked at the option) so I was excited to see the Faberge Museum on our Azamara Baltic tour in 2016... I think I could spend a week in the Hermitage  but love the smaller unusual museums... like the Museum of Bags and Purses in Amsterdam... I also loved the National Museum of Finland in Helsinki and there’s still a historic residence in Stockholm, Hallwyl House, that I still haven’t made it to but the Vasa and the CityHall are not to be missed....TOO MANY PLACES, TOO MUCH TO SEE!!!!

Turangi!

Have twice spent 3 days in St Petersburg with Azamara. The mooring is ideal as right in the centre of the city. Last summer there was far more freedom during the World Cup to wander independently. There is so much to see and some of the recently restored palaces are worth a visit and are quieter than the obvious ones. A trip on the canals and river gives you are wonderful view of the city. The farmers market is interesting. One of my favourite cities and you should try the tram and the underground. 

12 hours ago, manc said:

Have twice spent 3 days in St Petersburg with Azamara. The mooring is ideal as right in the centre of the city. Last summer there was far more freedom during the World Cup to wander independently. There is so much to see and some of the recently restored palaces are worth a visit and are quieter than the obvious ones. A trip on the canals and river gives you are wonderful view of the city. The farmers market is interesting. One of my favourite cities and you should try the tram and the underground. 

I think Azamara offers an evening trip on the canals.  I’ll have to check again since we have quite a bit of OBC to use.  

On 1/13/2019 at 3:30 PM, Neliska said:

In August last year we were on the Journey and did a 3 day tour with TJ Travel.  Highly recommend them.  We did their 3 day tour with the 2nd day going to Moscow on the train.  Yes it was a long day but totally worth it.  A representative from the TJ office met us when we got off our ship and accompanied us to the train station and on the train to Moscow (4 hours)  We were then met by the Moscow guide and delivered back to the train and  met up with the TJ representative for the trip back to St Petersburg.

Both guides from TJ were excellent, as were the drivers.  The first two days we had 12 on our tour but the last day there was only 6 of us.

Our guide was able to change things around a bit to suit us. 
The guides and driver spoke good English.  Lunches were provided.

TJ sorted all the paperwork and their communication via email was excellent.

We booked with this company for June.  Glad to read you were very pleased.

On 1/11/2019 at 10:03 AM, midwestchick said:

Amsterdam

Sail the Kiel Canal

Copenhagen

Helsinki

St. Petersburg 3 days

Stockholm-Disembarkation

We're also doing a Baltic cruise in June.  What are your dates? 

Edited by 2ndsailing
correction