Eastbound or Westbound Crossing?

powell

12 minutes ago, JIMinNC said:

Just looked at the satellite view for New York Harbor, and that raised another question...when going in and out of the harbor, does the QM2 basically make a beeline from/to the bridge and the dock, or does she usually curve out a bit to the west to provide passengers with a closer view of the Statue of Liberty?

QM2's path in and out of New York harbor does tend to curve a bit to the west, but I suspect that has more to do with the channel than with attempting to offer passengers a closer view of the Statue of Liberty.

You may be interested in this screen grab from the New York Harbor webcam I previously posted from her departure on August 3, 2018. This is typical of most of her departures from New York.

42022395360_263b314071_o.jpg

In this shot, the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal is out of the frame far to the right and in the background. QM2 had already passed the Statue of Liberty from right to left across the webcam's field of view about 5 minutes earlier. She then made a long sweeping turn and passed the Statue of Liberty from left to right across the camera's field of view soon after this shot was taken on her way toward the bridge and then out to sea. This shot is a bit deceiving because of the camera's very long focal length. I estimate the camera was about 1 mile from QM2 at this point and about 5 miles from the Statue of Liberty.

• Like 1

Thanks for the pictures bluemarble and Radar boomer. A picture is worth 1000 words, as they say.

Just looking at boomer's shot, the perspective compression would indicate it was also taken with a longer focal length zoom, but that front-side morning light is one reason a westbound cruise with the AM arrival is appealing to me as a photographer. Especially in the summer - which is probably when we would make such a trip - sunrise is around 5:30 AM, so unless QM2 came into the harbor especially early that morning, if it's sunny, the light should be really nice - the morning "golden hour".

Here's a contribution of mine. This photo was taken from our starboard side sheltered balcony forward on deck 5 about 1:00pm shortly after we boarded QM2 and while we were still docked at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. It's a cropped image that was taken with a Nikon DX 300mm lens (equivalent to 450mm focal length in traditional 35mm film).

684402312_StatueofLibertyfromQM2.thumb.jpg.90f4a4ce497c9b583292158821e205cb.jpg

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

Personally, I favour a eastbound.

I've done one westbound and one eastbound. Got another EB booked for May this year.

Living in the UK I prefer to get the flight over in the daytime, and I find the jetlag easier to deal with. Downsides are shorter days (not a huge problem personally) and the afternoon can feel a little rushed (but we eat late). That said, if you've not done a WB then I'd recommend this first. It's awesome arriving into NY in the morning and seeing the skyline!

The main advantage of doing a westbound crossing (Southampton to New York) over an eastbound crossing (New York to Southampton) is that you gain five hours going westbound compared to losing five hours going eastbound. So, a net difference of ten hours. 

Sorry Bluemarble, I don't get your math. Either you gain five hours or you loose them. Unless you do a round trip and then it is a wash.

1 hour ago, ratflinger said:

The main advantage of doing a westbound crossing (Southampton to New York) over an eastbound crossing (New York to Southampton) is that you gain five hours going westbound compared to losing five hours going eastbound. So, a net difference of ten hours. 

Sorry Bluemarble, I don't get your math. Either you gain five hours or you loose them. Unless you do a round trip and then it is a wash.

When I stated "a net difference of ten hours", I meant the total number of hours taken for an eastbound crossing is ten hours less than the total number of hours taken for a westbound crossing.

That's assuming the same scheduled departure time of 5:00pm and the same scheduled arrival time of 6:30am in both Southampton and New York which is the typical schedule for a crossing in either direction. That's also assuming Southampton and New York are both on standard time or summer/daylight saving time which isn't always the case for a few weeks each year.

Given those assumptions, the time taken for an eastbound crossing is 152.5 hours while the time taken for a westbound crossing is 162.5 hours yielding a net difference of 10 hours on board.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

When I stated "a net difference of ten hours", I meant the total number of hours taken for an eastbound crossing is ten hours less than the total number of hours taken for a westbound crossing.

That's assuming the same scheduled departure time of 5:00pm and the same scheduled arrival time of 6:30am in both Southampton and New York which is the typical schedule for a crossing in either direction. That's also assuming Southampton and New York are both on standard time or summer/daylight saving time which isn't always the case for a few weeks each year.

Given those assumptions, the time taken for an eastbound crossing is 152.5 hours while the time taken for a westbound crossing is 162.5 hours yielding a net difference of 10 hours on board.

One follow-up note that may be worth mentioning just in case it isn't obvious. My calculations above stating the total number of hours for each crossing as 152.5 hours eastbound vs. 162.5 hours westbound are based on typical 7-night crossings in each direction.