Quick Wifi question

txflood33

1 hour ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

The routers are all in the corridors which is why this happens which is a pain if you are like me and like to sit out early morning dealing with emails and messages before breakfast (and usually before we dock anywhere).

Just so Edge cruisers know, the routers are in each cabin closet. Had excellent service on balcony, in cabin and throughout the ship - the best I've ever had - never lacked service.  Maybe that will be part of the Revolution as they redo each ship. 🙂

36 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Just so Edge cruisers know, the routers are in each cabin closet. Had excellent service on balcony, in cabin and throughout the ship - the best I've ever had - never lacked service.  Maybe that will be part of the Revolution as they redo each ship. 🙂

Error - cant fix

Edited by Gordoncruickshank

So, lots of good info here, some of it confusing.

I just want to chime in that on an iphone, IMESSAGE is NOT a text message, it uses internet. You can send a text from an iphone, but if you are using imessage you are not sending a text, its a different animal. So you can iMessage another apple device but not text message If you have cellular off and wifi on.

clear as mud?

2 hours ago, ghstudio said:

you should be confused...my post was confused, but I can't go back and correct it...sorry

Simply put, make sure that airplane mode is on, cellular data is off (and wifi calling is off on your phone, if your phone has that option).  If you want to make voice calls between phones on the ship, use skype or similar.  I would not advise activating/using "wifi calling" between phones on the ship which involves your cellphone carrier and may or may not incur charges calling between phones.....

some info on wifi calling: https://www.lifewire.com/use-iphone-wifi-calling-1999746

I'm a little confused by your wifi calling recommendation. I use this all the time when traveling internationally (Verizon) and have never been charged for a call, at least to another US based number. The link you provided here doesn't mention anything about fees, and the previous link for Verizon states that you don't use data on wifi calling and the calls come out of your allocated minutes (which for most if not all current smartphone plans are unlimited). There are confusing nuances here, and certainly you need to understand your carriers rules, but I don't understand your blanket statement on avoiding wifi calling.

1 hour ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

I saw your post in my email notification about S Class routers above the ceilings in the corridor which is why the signal gets better as you move towards the door and how you sometimes stand in the doorway for better reception. 

Good to know. Thanks for the tip! 🙂

3 hours ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

The routers are all in the corridors which is why this happens which is a pain if you are like me and like to sit out early morning dealing with emails and messages before breakfast (and usually before we dock anywhere).

One can use a travel router to extend the wifi coverage inside the state room. Get one with battery built in to add convenience. They cost around $20-$45 depending on speed and functions.

2 hours ago, markeb said:

I'm a little confused by your wifi calling recommendation. I use this all the time when traveling internationally (Verizon) and have never been charged for a call, at least to another US based number. The link you provided here doesn't mention anything about fees, and the previous link for Verizon states that you don't use data on wifi calling and the calls come out of your allocated minutes (which for most if not all current smartphone plans are unlimited). There are confusing nuances here, and certainly you need to understand your carriers rules, but I don't understand your blanket statement on avoiding wifi calling.

I don't know how Verizon handles a call from a ship IP address.  As I understand it, wifi calling from one US phone to another is considered part of your minutes.  The rub is that if they detect that the wifi connection is from a non-us location (that check is very easy to do), then it MAY be considered an international call.  If the ship identifies as a US IP, then there would not be a charge...but, as I said, I don't know.  Similarly, if you are calling someone else on the ship..the same logic holds...if they are identified as not being in the US, there will be a charge for an international call.   One way around this might be to use a proxy server in the US for both...and that MIGHT work.

The safest recommendation is not to use wifi calling.

24 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

I don't know how Verizon handles a call from a ship IP address.  As I understand it, wifi calling from one US phone to another is considered part of your minutes.  The rub is that if they detect that the wifi connection is from a non-us location (that check is very easy to do), then it MAY be considered an international call.  If the ship identifies as a US IP, then there would not be a charge...but, as I said, I don't know.  Similarly, if you are calling someone else on the ship..the same logic holds...if they are identified as not being in the US, there will be a charge for an international call.   One way around this might be to use a proxy server in the US for both...and that MIGHT work.

The safest recommendation is not to use wifi calling.

From Verizon:

The Wi-Fi Calling feature is available at no additional charge, and is included in your existing monthly voice plan. Your Wi-Fi calls to US numbers, regardless of where you are located, are also free of charge (except for 411 and other premium calls). Wi-Fi calls to international numbers are billed as "International Calling While in the US" (also known as International Long Distance). If an international rate plan exists on your account, international calls are billed at those rates. A Wi-Fi Calling icon will appear on your screen during the call to confirm that it is using Wi-Fi to connect it. If the call is using the Verizon or a roaming network, standard voice charges apply.

I don't know about other carriers, and this is a great way to confuse the OP, but if you call a US number from a US iPhone via wifi, your call is free on Verizon. I have calls on my current statement via wifi from a hotel in London, and they're included. Again, you need to understand your carriers rules on this, and I only know Verizon.

2 hours ago, Tourist1292 said:

One can use a travel router to extend the wifi coverage inside the state room. Get one with battery built in to add convenience. They cost around $20-$45 depending on speed and functions.

How do you connect these to the ship’s Wi-fi To boost the signal? I had a quick look online and found a number of these but nothing seems to explain how these connect.

12 minutes ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

How do you connect these to the ship’s Wi-fi To boost the signal? I had a quick look online and found a number of these but nothing seems to explain how these connect.

It is a little bit tricky for wifi with portal login like on the cruise. Basically, you have the router setup with at least one of your device first. When you are on the cruise, go to your router webpage from your device using the IP address of the router. Change the internet setup of the router to wifi and choose the SSID of the ship. After that, you may need to restart your device or turn off and on the wifi on your device. Make sure it is connected to your router and open your webrowser. It should direct you to the portal login page of the ship network on your device. I am using the one by RavPower. When you setup the router in bridge mode this way, you have an additional firewall protection and would not be on the same subnet as other cruisers. You may test the setup at any free Wi-Fi network that has portal login like a library before bringing it to the cruise.

Edited by Tourist1292