Carnival Fantasy - Volunteering at the Cozumel Humane Society and bringing donations

Tapi

Hello:

We will be sailing to Cozumel aboard the Carnival Fantasy next month. We have been there more times than I can count, including land vacations, and done most of the touristy stuff. So for this visit we wanted to do something different and looked for volunteer opportunities. I came across the Cozumel Humane Society which is apparently located within a short distance of the pier where Carnival normally docks. They provide volunteer opportunities at their facilities and encourage people to bring donations, including pet food, household cleaners, and used towels. 

Has anybody reading this volunteered there? Is it truly near the port and easy to find? Have you brought donations from the US and did you have trouble bringing these items onboard the ship? Any problems with security boarding the ship in Mobile with these donations? I’m planning on bringing one suitcase with bags of dog food and used towels. 

Thanks for for any information that anyone may provide!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LostPuppy said:

Why don't you just call them AFA what their needs are?

Personally, I think they'd rather have cash than some dog food and old towels lugged all the way from the US...

Thanks. I’ll contact them. I appreciate the suggestion about a cash donation, but we do like to bring items that they specifically request. And looking at the “wish list” on their website, it does seem like they will greatly appreciate that.

The main thing that I’m concerned about which they can’t answer, and which I’m hoping someone chimes in about, is security at the port of mobile. Will they have an issue with these somewhat unusual items, like bags of pet food? 

On 1/16/2019 at 2:49 PM, chasinraynbowz said:

Tapi,

Please keep us updated.  My friend and I have been looking for something to do when we sail on 2/4 and we are both such animal lovers, we might like to volunteer too!!  

Thanks for posting this!!!

Hi.

Our Cruise is two weeks after yours so I guess you’ll be there before us. But I’ll make sure to post a brief review of Our experience along with some photos upon our return! 

Edited by Tapi

Definitely do the research before hauling all that down there.  We did a tour with Carnival to the Orphanage in Cozumel and the  description clearly stated that donation not allowed per customs.  In Belize I know people were able to bring school supplies and the such but need to fill out a customs form before getting off the ship.

• Please be advised donations are not allowed as per customs regulations.

12 minutes ago, Piper934 said:

Definitely do the research before hauling all that down there.  We did a tour with Carnival to the Orphanage in Cozumel and the  description clearly stated that donation not allowed per customs.  In Belize I know people were able to bring school supplies and the such but need to fill out a customs form before getting off the ship.

• Please be advised donations are not allowed as per customs regulations.

Thank you so much for that piece of advice. I may hold off and purchase items from the local supermarket once I get there. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tapi said:

Hi.

Our Cruise is two weeks after yours so I guess you’ll be there before us. But I’ll make sure to post a brief review of Our experience along with some photos upon our return! 

I spoke with my cruisemate last night and I think we have decided to stay onboard this trip.  However, I do look forward to reading your review!!!

We are planning on visiting the Humane Society as well on our Dream cruise next month.  I googled the Humane Society and did directions from the port area and it looks like it's a 10 minute walk.  Although I'm not quite sure how to get there since most roads are not marked.  I did send an email to them to let them know we plan to visit during our port of call.  She asked that we arrive early in the day to walk the dogs.  I will post back as well on how our stop went.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have visited the Cozumel Humane Society on two different cruises.  The first time (on a Fantasy cruise out of Mobile), we took several collars and leashes in a backpack, and then assisted with the Spay/Neuter clinic that happened to be that day (we monitored animals after their operation as they came out of sedation).  The last time we visited, we took hair ball gel for cats, some surgical caps, and a few other small things.  They post a wish list of items that they need on their FB page (right now it looks like some of the smaller stuff that would be easy to pack would include kitty litter scoopers, poop/waste bags, and AA and AAA batteries).  I would probably skip taking a suitcase full of dog food just because it might be difficult to get past the inspection post at the Cozumel dock (they usually have agricultural dogs that are sniffing for food products).  It is about a 10-15 minute walk from the cruise dock.  Take bottled water with you because it can get hot on the way to/from there.  Once you leave the main avenue, there are few sidewalks so I would wear something like tennis shoes since you will be walking along the side of the road in the grass/dirt. I would not hesitate to visit there again.  They do great things there.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

We are back from the cruise and I'm happy to report that we went to the Cozumel Humane Society. From home, I brought some donations, which included dog collars, leashes, cat toys, and bags of doggie treats. We were planning on walking from the Puerta Maya pier, but since we were traveling with small children, we took a taxi instead. It's a short 5 minute ride and the cost is $8 each way. 

The facilities are tucked along a dirt road. Upon our arrival, we were greeted by a young woman who welcomed us and took our photo. She gave us a quick tour and the kids played with the cats. After that, she got some dogs and we walked them along the block. We then returned to the facilities and we asked if they needed extra help with anything else. They normally need help giving dogs baths and assisting recovering animals after surgery, but on the day we were there, they were not doing either.

Overall, it was a very rewarding experience, and we are very glad that we visited. There was another family from another cruise who arrived shortly afterwards. I do recommend, if arriving by taxi, that you set up a pick up time for the return to the port. The lady who welcomed us was able to call and get a return taxi for us, but she said that many times they don't answer the phone. 

If anybody has any questions, I'll be happy to answer! 

DSC_0916.JPG

DSC_0920.JPG

DSC_0927.JPG

DSC_0932.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We have also been to the Humane Society to volunteer and take donations on several occasions. I would suggest just taking items that are small enough to fit in a backpack, and as someone above indicated, there is a wish list posted on their Facebook page (which you can access via the website). The hours that volunteers are needed, as well as volunteer activities can also be found on their website. If you are interested in visiting, you can reach out to Laura via Facebook and she will answer any questions. This is one of my all-time favorite cruise-related activities. I really just can't say enough good things about the work this organization is doing.