Epic Hotel - Miami, Couple of Questions

js

Hi.

I got what I think a good rate for the Epic for two nights, February 21-23 for a refundable city view with taxes and fees $560.

When I am reading on tripadvisor there is a lot of construction, I am guessing this is the reason.

I think I booked there last year and then canceled and booked another hotel since pool wasn't open but it looks like that isn't an issue,

more of some rooms are dated and construction next door.  I remember last year when I booked I was going to request a high floor

since many said I could hear the bridge opening and closing but this year I just booked a city view.

Has anyone stayed there recently?

It will be my mom (73) and me and we just want to relax by the pool, have good meals and drinks.

Speaking of meals, beside the restaurants on site, is there anything very close?

Also, is there any food or liquor store close by I could get some wine and snacks, which is walkable.

I believe this hotel is located downtown and I stayed at the Four Seasons downtown last year and the area felt very safe although I worked in Manhattan for 100 years so

I'm good LOL

Thank you.

Construction on the streets near by has been completed. 

I can't remember about on the building though. They still have scaffolding on the sidewalk right next to it. So I believe they are still working on the side of the building which may cause balconies to be locked up. I would ask the hotel about this. I may walk by in the next few days and could take a look and report back. 

The Brickell bridge is right there, so the noise is mostly from car traffic going over a draw bridge which can be somewhat loud. I have no idea how well insulated the rooms are, but all rooms have hurricane windows/doors which usually keeps most noise out. The bridge going up and down does not make a ton of noise, I think it is the traffic noise that is more of a complaint. 

It is a fantastic location. Dinning options outside the hotel are endless anything and everything within walking distance, using the free Metromover or a quick Uber/Lyft ride. There is a Wholefoods a block away for wines and grocery stores and several other supermarkets and liquor stores near by. 

That is a great rate for the busiest time of year--the South Beach Wine and Food Festival will run through that weekend, with the Miami International Boat Show just ending. 

The Epic is considered in Downtown Miami being on the north bank of the Miami River. The Four Seasons is in Brickell south of the river so not the best reference point even though only a mile or so away. There is free transportation in both the City of Miami Trolley and the Metromover system if you wish to head to Brickell where the range of dining options is even better than downtown--not that there's a lack of them in walking distance.

Since your reservation is refundable, keep it while you do any further research for something better. But given you are only five weeks away and falling in what are probably the toughest weeks of the year for hotel reservations in Miami, I doubt you will find any remotely better bang for the buck without having to spend quite a few more, renovations in progress or not.

There is construction right next door as they are putting up a new condo next door, Aston Martin. You may hear noise from that. The majority of the scaffolding on the Epic has been removed, but there is still some. 

I’m actually on the Regal Princess right now off of Grand Cayman but will check it out when I get back and let you know if they have removed the rest of the scaffolding 

Flymia, thank you very much! If you are around there and take notice, I would really appreciate it!

Than you Host CJ! Enjoy your cruise and how nice of you to offer to look for me.

I'm really happy to hear about Whole Foods. I think we will stay put unless something even better comes along but don't think so since sounds like we have a nice selection of restaurants and I can get a few snacks/beverages in for our two days.

Bblueheron, you mentioned a few restaurants to me for Brickell last February and we did eat in two which were great (although I was overserved at one hahahaha), which were diagonally across the street from Four Seasons to the right and if you have suggestions to very close walking distance restaurants to Epic or a short Uber ride, I'm open for suggestions!

Thank you all.

Yes, I thought the rate was good too.  I usually book through lmtclub and then look to see if I can

beat the rate anywhere else and always book refundable.

I will call the hotel and make sure I can get a balcony room that is usable.  I'll wait until about 10 days prior to do so.

Yes, I forgot the Four Seasons was in Brickell. Loved that area and the restaurants.

Wasn't aware of the South Beach Food and Wine Festival may have to do some research on that one LOL

I usually am in Disney in September and do their Food/Wine at Epcot LOL

BlueHeron, we like good food and service and willing to pay extra to receive it but I DO NOT want to have

to get very dressed for our dinners both evenings. Seafood is great. We live in NY and do not Italian. We can get that anywhere. We prefer to sit and relax at dinner with a 1 or 2 bottles of wine and not be rushed or some cocktails so a good bar is helpful LOL.  I would prefer to make reservations so we are not sitting for an hour waiting for our table. I'll be with my mom who is a princess (leaving my family at home) but sometimes she has to role with the masses...ME LOL.  For dress, nice jeans and dressy top with heels will be good enough for me.  We would take Uber/Lyft unless the free shuttles are close by, since she would prefer not to have to walk too far.

You are familiar with the Four Seasons and Brickell, the EPIC is basically in Brickell. It is a 3-min walk across a bridge to get into "Brickell" and out of Downtown. So the suggestions you got for the Four Seasons are still a walk or short uber ride away. 

Trullucks is a popular spot, a chain but a small upscale chain. Great service great food. 

Miami River Oyster Bar is very good as well and a more popular local spot. 

In Brickell City Centre is Big Easy Wine Bar, I love that place. 

Even at the highest end places in Miami you never need to dress up much. 

As for SOBE Food and Wine. They are ticketed events, tons from that Thursday-Sunday. The Grand Tasting on the beach is awesome and so is the Burger Bash. Been to both and love them. Tickets are not cheap, but if you are interested and ok with the ticket prices I highly suggest it. Tickets are on sale online. Sometimes the large events will sell out, the smaller ones almost always sell out. 

Edited by Flymia

Little tip about SOBE Wine & Food Festival Grand Tasting ... check Craig's List at least 1 week prior to the event.  There is usually a number of people selling their tickets below face value.  Legit ... we have gone each of the last 3 years and saved approx $50 per ticket.  Some people try to sell them outside the event as well. 

Thank you all.

I looked on the SOBE wine festival and although I think this is certainly something I would do for the day on Friday with my dh, I'm not going to venture out with my mom. We are leaving NY a couple of days early to relax so we can spend Thursday and Friday at the pool.

brunello22, I think Area 31 looks great too and I think we will stay in the first night and eat there. I'll make a ressie there and going to look at Miami River Oyster Bar and Big Easy Wine Bar for the other night. I'll let you know where we decide.

I think with the rate and the location (and hopefully a nice pool), I will keep our reservation.

Thank you all so much!

Edited by js

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/17/2019 at 1:25 PM, Host CJSKIDS said:

There is construction right next door as they are putting up a new condo next door, Aston Martin. You may hear noise from that. The majority of the scaffolding on the Epic has been removed, but there is still some. 

I’m actually on the Regal Princess right now off of Grand Cayman but will check it out when I get back and let you know if they have removed the rest of the scaffolding 

Hi! I hope you enjoyed your cruise.

I'm wondering if you can remember the last time you passed the Epic if scaffolding is still surrounding most of the Epic. If so, I would probably just request we be in a room without it on our balcony since I hate to give up my rate for two nights, including taxes/fees of $560. I can't even get the Holiday Inn POM for that rate.

We will be at Epic next week, February 21-23.

Thanks so much!

On 2/14/2019 at 3:21 PM, js said:

Hi! I hope you enjoyed your cruise.

I'm wondering if you can remember the last time you passed the Epic if scaffolding is still surrounding most of the Epic. If so, I would probably just request we be in a room without it on our balcony since I hate to give up my rate for two nights, including taxes/fees of $560. I can't even get the Holiday Inn POM for that rate.

We will be at Epic next week, February 21-23.

Thanks so much!

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I've been out of town since the 14th.  

If I remember when I walked by it last week, the majority of the scaffolding is down.  

1 hour ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I've been out of town since the 14th.  

If I remember when I walked by it last week, the majority of the scaffolding is down.  

Thanks so much! We arrive on Thursday. Looks like the weather should be nice. We are hopefully getting out despite snow may be on the way. 

I hope you enjoy your trip!  Our weather has been amazing this week.  Hot, sunny, low humidity and the ocean temp is perfect.

I also love River Oyster, American Social, Trulucks, Garcias, Casablanca, Crust, and Batch.

There are a few more but my memory is failing me.