Knitter - Stitcher gatherings

Colleen @ Sequim

One of my fondest memories of cruises with sea days is the friendships and conversations in the Knit/Stitch groups organized through Cruise Critic.  I have asked cruise directors and mentioned on surveys that HAL should list activities like this on the daily planner.  The answer I get from cruise directors is that it would need to be authorized through HAL and they won't do it.  I am willing to be the cruise critic point person for this activity on this cruise but also want to encourage HAL to do their part.  To this end, I have decided to make a pest of myself and to ask others to join me in this campaign.  Please if you agree with me, join in!  Even if you are not a Knit/stitch person your voice could help.  I plan to send this email weekly for now and if a reply isn't received will begin phone calls soon. 

Address emails to Guestrelations@hollandamerica.com  (800 599-8256)

Here is the paragraph I send on a weekly basis: 

I would like an answer about this concern.  Being a 4*, I have been on many cruises.  I especially enjoy the cruises with several sea days.  The daily planner lists many activities and opportunities to meet for games etc.  I have asked several times to add a meet-up for those of us who knit or stitch.  The answer I get from the cruise director is that HAL must authorize such listings, and they won't do it.  My question is why?  We don't need anything special like coffee service or a dedicated room.  We don't need a staff member to supervise.  We just need a listing on sea days that we meet at a given time and place.  I know there is an interest.  On a couple cruises such meet-ups have been organized by Cruise Critic members and they are very well attended.  Please tell me why HAL won't authorize such a meet-up.

Looking forward to another Prinsendam cruise in March

Colleen @ Sequim

They didn't schedule us for the Pacific Coastal and Alaska on the Nieuw Amsterdam in May 2018, also nothing on the Veendam in October 2018.  Princess did schedule knitting etc, on the Emerald Princess in May.  Noordam 2017 was a 38-day cruise, and no knitting etc scheduled.   I didn't give the CD a very high score on this evaluation as a result.

1 hour ago, Floridiana said:

It was in the daily planner on the recent Grand Asia & Pacific cruise.

I think they do put it on the Grands and World Cruises.

I also saw it on a TA portion of the Prinsendam but other than that I can't recall it being listed in the last few years 😞 at least, not on the cruises I have been on.

1 hour ago, knittinggirl said:

I didn't give the CD a very high score on this evaluation as a result.

Part of the CD's bad score happened during the B2B lecture.  A passenger asked him a legitimate question about ship tours that finish after the muster drill, and he just walked off stage w/o answering.  He'd insisted we had to be back on the ship for muster drill, and some of us had bought tours that returned late.

It is on the Grand South America Voyage right now but only because one of the group (who evidently has some power) got HAL to agree while on board.  I was told before the 2018 GWV by HAL that they do not do it any longer (which obviously is not true).  Our group never made the When and Where although the Project Linus group did in 2018.

6 hours ago, Colleen @ Sequim said:

Looking forward to another Prinsendam cruise in March

Colleen @ Sequim

It was first noticed and noted on Ravelry (hand-work on-line community) on March 6 2017 that HAL was no longer supporting or publishing knitting/stitching sessions. The person who posted it there asked that we all write M.Ashford. This was not forthcoming of any change. 

We still knit! Preferably in front of the most visible offices/desks!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SetAnOpenCourse said:

I’d like to support your cause, though I’m not sure what to write.

If you are so moved, just write and say that you would like to see a listing for Knitters and stitchers on sea days.  Use whatever words you like.

thanks!!!