Passport Card? Edge

bmoore09

Hey all,

I'm only asking on this board because I've gotten different information from different sources. We're going on the celebrity edge cruise to Tortola, Puerto Rico, and St Maarten.

Being a US citizen, would the passport card work? Or would we need the book? Just in case something happens. I know we don't need a passport for the cruise, but I'd like to have it just in case. The card is quite a bit cheaper. Will it suffice for this trip?

Thanks!

Would really recommend calling CBP to answer your questions.   While it may work it could also be problematic if you had an emergency and had to fly home.  

Officially CBP website says 

What can I use the Passport Card for and how do I get one?

The U.S. Department of State (DOS) issues the U.S. passport book and the U.S. passport card. The passport card is used to enter the United States (U.S.) at the land border crossings and sea ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The passport card can also be used for domestic air travel.

The passport card may not be used for international air travel.

Some Caribbean countries and territories, even though they are considered part of the Caribbean may not accept the passport card for entry into their country. You may be required to have a passport book to visit those nations while on a cruise. Please check with the cruise line and inquire if a passport card can be used during your voyage.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, bmoore09 said:

Hey all,

I'm only asking on this board because I've gotten different information from different sources. We're going on the celebrity edge cruise to Tortola, Puerto Rico, and St Maarten.

Being a US citizen, would the passport card work? Or would we need the book? Just in case something happens. I know we don't need a passport for the cruise, but I'd like to have it just in case. The card is quite a bit cheaper. Will it suffice for this trip?

Thanks!

Yes, the Card will be just fine.

This assumes you have a closed loop itinerary.

The Card verifies your US citizenship in the same way as a Passport book....and the Card is sufficient for all Caribbean countries with the exception of Cuba.

One thing that is often overlooked is the fact that you are not entering the countries (islands) that the ship visits as a tourist.  You will be there on a day visit as a passenger 'in transit' which means that different rules apply.  Indeed you can take the entire voyage with just a birth certificate and photo ID...and many do.  So your Card is a handy way to conform to the ID requirements of your cruise.

9 hours ago, thinfool said:

Yes, the Card will be just fine.

This assumes you have a closed loop itinerary.

The Card verifies your US citizenship in the same way as a Passport book....and the Card is sufficient for all Caribbean countries with the exception of Cuba.

One thing that is often overlooked is the fact that you are not entering the countries (islands) that the ship visits as a tourist.  You will be there on a day visit as a passenger 'in transit' which means that different rules apply.  Indeed you can take the entire voyage with just a birth certificate and photo ID...and many do.  So your Card is a handy way to conform to the ID requirements of your cruise.

No. The passport card will not be fine if you are evacuated off the ship (medical emergency ). The cruise ship doctor said that this a common occurrence . Happened to my healthy son-in-law who spent 14 days in St Maarten hospital and hotel until he was released to fly home.

By the way this is a reason to have good trip insurance . The trip insurance took care of everything and saved him thousands.

Get a passport.

• Like 2

500_2378.thumb.jpg.176302faa698a791494814174b6bf681.jpg

2 hours ago, cptlapcat said:

No. The passport card will not be fine if you are evacuated off the ship (medical emergency ). The cruise ship doctor said that this a common occurrence . Happened to my healthy son-in-law who spent 14 days in St Maarten hospital and hotel until he was released to fly home.

By the way this is a reason to have good trip insurance . The trip insurance took care of everything and saved him thousands.

Get a passport.

It happened to this individual on our last cruise which was thru the Panama Canal.  Stuff happens.

Edited by Oviedo32765

For a US citizen traveling on a closed loop cruise from a US port, the passport card is fine.   Just like a passport book, it confirms both identity and citizenship.  Therefore, you can use this one document in lieu of the combo of drivers license (identity) and birth certificate (citizenship). 

For purposes of flying home from a port in an emergency, the only trouble-free way to do so is with a passport book; however, the passport card might present fewer hassles than a DL/BC combo, eg. making it easier to get an emergency passport, or managing secondary screening needed to fly in such a situation.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cptlapcat said:

Get a passport.

You didn't answer the OP's question.  You did express what  calamities that are possible.

The OP did not ask about possible calamities.

It is clear that the OP knows that passports are not required for US citizens, closed loop, etc.

Edited by thinfool
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

For purposes of flying home from a port in an emergency, the only trouble-free way to do so is with a passport book

Exactly. That's why saying that "the passport card is fine" is only true until something goes wrong.

Not sure of the Op's itinerary but below lists the Caribbean countries that are not included. 

The U.S. Passport Card is not valid for international air travel.[5][20]

Since they are not participating in the WHTI, the U.S. Passport Card cannot be used when entering the U.S. from the following countries and territories, even though they are considered part of the Caribbean:

11 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Not sure of the Op's itinerary but below lists the Caribbean countries that are not included. 

The U.S. Passport Card is not valid for international air travel.[5][20]

Since they are not participating in the WHTI, the U.S. Passport Card cannot be used when entering the U.S. from the following countries and territories, even though they are considered part of the Caribbean:

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say, but one can visit at least some of the listed countries during a cruise, without a passport or passport card, because visiting during a cruise stop doesn't always meet the legal definition of "entering" the country.