HAL vs other cruise lines

Peace2U

We have had wonderful cruises on Princess, Celebrity, Crystal, RCI, and Carnival that all compare very well to HAL.

Yes, there are differences however we  enjoy those differences.  There are still a number of cruise lines that we want to try.  We do not cruise fore more than 21 days.  Neither of us can imagine being loyal to any one cruise line.   There are simply too many great ships and cruise lines to try.

On 2/6/2019 at 6:08 PM, danb35 said:

My wife and I (40 and 45) just sailed with them, and we weren't the youngest people on board--though I'd say we were in the bottom 10%.

On 2/6/2019 at 6:18 PM, knittinggirl said:

We went on a 14+11 day B2B on the Serenade of the Seas.  On the 14-day leg, most were 55 or over, but on the 11 day, the general age dropped to mid-40s.    The older passengers could do the 14-day cruise plus the pre-and post cruise travel easier than the with the younger.  11-days is about good enough for working passengers that get only two weeks off a year.

We use facial tissues for opening doors and also touching the lotion pump.  They usually have a trash can right by the door for disposing of the tissues.  

I'm pretty sure I can recover from Noro faster than a broken bone..   On our first Voyage of the Vikings, after a couple rough days at sea, we saw a woman with a bruise over most of her face.  By the time we got to Boston, she was almost back to normal.

On 2/6/2019 at 7:07 PM, DC1979 said:

Me.  I was in my early 30s on my first cruise with HAL and I absolutely loved it.  Yes I was amongst the youngest ones on it.  But I enjoyed my experience very much.  And seeing some on the people coming off the other ships at various ports, I was so glad I chose HAL.  I could not imagine being stuck on a ship with some of them.  (Note, this is not to say there is anything wrong with them, or that I am better.  It’s just not the style of vacation that I want.  I prefer more relaxing, quiet, understated, elegant, etc.  Of course those people looked like they were having a blast, and I was happy for them, and they probably would have hated HAL. All different kinds of people in the world, and nothing wrong with that.  Just know what you want, and choose wisely!!). 

Thank you everyone for your awesome responses. I go on my first HAL cruise on the 2/16. I am just excited for my vacation. Good to know what to kind of expect. 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2019 at 4:51 PM, kochleffel said:

I have to confess that I have a slightly negative impression of HAL passengers, based solely on posts on this board. It's possible that I would have the same impression of passengers on other cruise lines if I read those board more attentively.

Actually it was really great and the people were wonderful! I was pleasantly surprised.

On 2/6/2019 at 5:22 PM, BJzink said:

Speaking as a single woman traveling alone, I love HAL because I feel safe at all times, even on tours.  The ports are so interesting, and the lectures informative.  Where else could I learn about the origins of Tango or Mata.  As mentioned, the staff is attentive, knows my name by the second day, and go out of their way to make me feel comfortable.  I am not impaired at all, go on tours that require lots of walking, and love to learn anything.  

The other thing that differentiates HAL from other cruise lines is their use of fresh flower arrangements all over the ships.  

I can totally understand that. Very few crazy folks on board. I did see lots of, I think they were, orchids. Very lovely.

On 2/7/2019 at 6:27 AM, iancal said:

We have had wonderful cruises on Princess, Celebrity, Crystal, RCI, and Carnival that all compare very well to HAL.

Yes, there are differences however we  enjoy those differences.  There are still a number of cruise lines that we want to try.  We do not cruise fore more than 21 days.  Neither of us can imagine being loyal to any one cruise line.   There are simply too many great ships and cruise lines to try.

Yes, there are. It's fun to get a variety of experiences.

3 hours ago, Peace2U said:

Oof. What makes the prices so high on these? Is it worth it?

If you are curious please take some time to check out each companies website.

What does the price include?

airfare, port fees and taxes, excursion in every port, all beverages, alcohol, a butler for your cabin, specialty restaurants, prepaid gratuities, $600 OBC?

Some of these include 5 or 6 of these 9!

1 hour ago, dundeene said:

If you are curious please take some time to check out each companies website.

What does the price include?

airfare, port fees and taxes, excursion in every port, all beverages, alcohol, a butler for your cabin, specialty restaurants, prepaid gratuities, $600 OBC?

Some of these include 5 or 6 of these 9!

The alcohol being covered is probably nice, although we don't drink much.

4 hours ago, Peace2U said:

Yes, there are. It's fun to get a variety of experiences.

I have cruised on HAL and Princess.  While both are premium lines, I prefer Princess overall.  Princess has more activities, the onboard atmosphere is friendlier and the ship’s interior and exterior are beautiful.  Holland has slightly better food and excellent service.  I would go on both lines again, but my ❤️ belongs to Princess.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, freshwater_princess said:

I have cruised on HAL and Princess.  While both are premium lines, I prefer Princess overall.  Princess has more activities, the onboard atmosphere is friendlier and the ship’s interior and exterior are beautiful.  Holland has slightly better food and excellent service.  I would go on both lines again, but my ❤️ belongs to Princess.

I prefer Princess as well. We should cruise together. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

On 2/8/2019 at 3:33 PM, Peace2U said:

Oof. What makes the prices so high on these? Is it worth it?

Well   the prices are pretty much all inclusive...the published fare included  RT air, Port and Taxes, All coffees, soft drinks, fruit juices,

All specialties  are included and you can  eat lobster everyday in every restaurant...  even the pool grill.  Outstanding food   and cuisine, and again  no charge in any  of the many restaurants,,,  French, Asian, Steak house, Italian ,  restaurants,, Casual  dress, no formals,  restaurants that exceed many of the best on land... 

No more fighting to get a chaise by the pool... they are always  pretty much open    No lines, crowds or blaring  music       the opportunity  to meet and converse with other well mannered, well traveled passengers a low key yet  a classy ambiance  like a country club  Free art classes by accomplished artists,   Culinary classes...  Wine dinners....

. No nickel-dime things..., ship photographers  ... art auctions.....  none.       No sill class systems...every passenger is equal when out of the cabin... no private clubs and lots of space ...uncrowded ... serene  where you experience real ocean travel   not  a floating mall and carnival....  An adult ship experience for adults of all ages..

Ships that only take 650-1250 passengers,  Few if any kids,  large well decorated cabins  almost all are verandas. Choice of free shore ex or OBC,   Twice the staff  to passenger    Unlimited liquor packages of high end  liquors and a European staff for most of the ships... who are well trained  in service  that is low key  and not haughty.

Is it worth it......YES.    

In fact when one considers  all the included things  that one would end up spending on  lines that offered  more economical fares yet hustled you at every turn  you discover , at the end of the day, that you were spending as much .or more than you would  on the cheaper cruise...     You pretty much write one check at the beginning and thats pretty much it.........  I  started Sailing Hal tried Celeb, NCL,     Then I discovered Regent, Oceania,  Azamar,  Crystal...   Viking is not even in the game  really.....   

I warn you    have no idea how good it can get...it may ruin you.   I still sail Hal every now and then....  But I will come back to the premium experience  for pure value and enjoyment that  cant be matched elsewhere......Thats my experience....I  might be yours too !!!    Worth it  are you kidding  !!!!

Edited by Hawaiidan
  • Like 1

We sailed on Royal Princess this past summer. Food quality and service were so far below our experiences on previous Princess cruises (14 cruises) that we cancelled our Winter 2019 Princess cruise on Royal Princess.

We booked Holland America (2 cruises this winter), primarily because of the excellent service, food quality, and the Lincoln Center Stage music program. Holland America and Cunard (Queen Mary, Queen Victoria) have become our favorite cruise lines.

19 hours ago, freshwater_princess said:

Not to argue...but in the scope of things   rating all lines by the worlds  traveler agents and customers,   HAL and Princess are  still solid upper mass market lines.  Nice, nothing wrong  but yo should  try a real premium  line  .  you will be very suprised

Oceaina and Azamar  and Viking are  currently  the only  ones rated as Premium lines   Regent and Crystal  are rated Luxury.....

41 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Not to argue...but in the scope of things   rating all lines by the worlds  traveler agents and customers,   HAL and Princess are  still solid upper mass market lines.  Nice, nothing wrong  but yo should  try a real premium  line  .  you will be very suprised  Oceaina and Azamar  and Viking are  currently  the only  ones rated as Premium lines   Regent and Crystal  are rated Luxury.....

That isn't necessarily true.  Travel sites never seem to agree on cruise line classifications.  This site says Celebrity, Disney, HAL and Princess are Premium...

https://*****/cruise-line-types-figuring-out-what-the-different-categories-mean/

Yet this one says Oceania and Azamara are Premium...

http://www.travelharmony.com/more/cruises_cat_more.html

Point is, "Premium" doesn't seem to have a solid definition in cruising.  

Edited by Aquahound

17 hours ago, Aquahound said:

That isn't necessarily true.  Travel sites never seem to agree on cruise line classifications.  This site says Celebrity, Disney, HAL and Princess are Premium...

https://*****/cruise-line-types-figuring-out-what-the-different-categories-mean/

Yet this one says Oceania and Azamara are Premium...

http://www.travelharmony.com/more/cruises_cat_more.html

Point is, "Premium" doesn't seem to have a solid definition in cruising.  

Your right...the term is skewed and thus pretty meaningless     

I think what one needs to do is actually  go and experience the real differences between the lines.     So too it is subjective to the person making that evaluation.

What does that person think is  average,  what is premium  and what is luxury based on their values.   It is their reality and you can not argue with a persons reality.   Heck  some think  Princess or Disney is Luxury.  

From my experience sailing many ships and lines the divisions are very clear cut to me    I would rank in ascending order Carnival- RCCL- MSC-NCL-Princess-Disney-Celebrity -Cunard and HAL  are mass market ships  good solid experiences in that  ascending order based on my experience  , what they provide, the ambiance the experience you receive  

Viking-Azamar-Oceania  in the premium   

Crystal-Silversea- Seabourn-Regent in the  Luxury class    

Your ranking may vary according to your taste and experience....  some might say that Princess or Carnival   is to them luxury... and it would be.     However what would that persons  evaluation be or change  if they had just come from a Regent 21 day cruise ???? 

Id like  to think my VW bug  was as good as a porsche 911.  But it  was not  in  actuality

Edited by Hawaiidan

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

Your right...the term is skewed and thus pretty meaningless     

It seemed like there were better definitions back in the day.  I seem to remember the 3 main categories being Mass Market or Contemporary, Premium, and Luxury.  Lines that fell in the Premium category were marked that way due to certain amenities like enrichment seminars and better included meals.  Now, they're throwing in categories like Boutique, Expeditionary, Ultra Contemporary, etc.  The lines between the categories have become very blurred thus much more open to opinion.

• Like 1

Add to this the new "Comfort Class" designation that somehow guarantees minimal ship vibrations - as seen in that recent Regent super star ship video - they custom made the ship's propellers to reduce cavitation that would qualify them for this new "comfort class" standard. Or, something like that. Beyond my price point, or needs. Though the Maasdam vibrations can be a challenge. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

Add to this the new "Comfort Class" designation that somehow guarantees minimal ship vibrations - as seen in that recent Regent super star ship video - they custom made the ship's propellers to reduce cavitation that would qualify them for this new "comfort class" standard. Or, something like that. Beyond my price point, or needs. Though the Maasdam vibrations can be a challenge. 

This is like the princess and the pea fable....really.......... 

It seems that today more and more ships are being market  to people who dont really want to be on a ship.. but at a floating Vegas-amusement park-shopping mall and all you can eat buffet.   I want to sail on a ship that dosent feel like I am on a ship or in the ocean...  thats the ship for you they told 

We are loosing the basic premise that a ship is a vehicle to explore the world by traveling on the ocean by floating in water.  All we really need is a dry bed a bathroom of sorts, warm water and some hot food. 

Every step above that is gravy..nice to have  not a must or need to have... oh yes  floating  it is important too.

Fact  ships are made of steel and metal  and that material transmits sound heat and vibration better than anything but water...which the ship sits in !!!    It is propelled through the water by propellers, it does not have wheels that roll on the bottom ( old navy joke I wont repeat)     

It will move. vibrate, roll , shimy, yaw and pitch ....that comes with the turf.  I was on a 368 foot 2100 ton Destroyer. for years.. I have no problem with any ship, 

Dont like movement  noise, vibration then stay off a ship...(.When all that stops... be afraid be very afraid) 

OR,   Get a grip that you have to make compromises, not insist others compromise for you!

Turn 2...shipmates

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

This is like the princess and the pea fable....really.......... 

It seems that today more and more ships are being market  to people who dont really want to be on a ship.. but at a floating Vegas-amusement park-shopping mall and all you can eat buffet.   I want to sail on a ship that dosent feel like I am on a ship or in the ocean...  thats the ship for you they told 

We are loosing the basic premise that a ship is a vehicle to explore the world by traveling on the ocean by floating in water.  All we really need is a dry bed a bathroom of sorts, warm water and some hot food. 

Every step above that is gravy..nice to have  not a must or need to have... oh yes  floating  it is important too.

Fact  ships are made of steel and metal  and that material transmits sound heat and vibration better than anything but water...which the ship sits in !!!    It is propelled through the water by propellers, it does not have wheels that roll on the bottom ( old navy joke I wont repeat)     

It will move. vibrate, roll , shimy, yaw and pitch ....that comes with the turf.  I was on a 368 foot 2100 ton Destroyer. for years.. I have no problem with any ship, 

Dont like movement  noise, vibration then stay off a ship...(.When all that stops... be afraid be very afraid) 

OR,   Get a grip that you have to make compromises, not insist others compromise for you!

Turn 2...shipmates

Need to add the smell of paint and the sound of grinding that are a 24/7 part of ship board life too. Ship happens is never meant to be a put-down of someone's experience; but rather a reminder that on ships, ship happens. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Need to add the smell of paint and the sound of grinding that are a 24/7 part of ship board life too. Ship happens is never meant to be a put-down of someone's experience; but rather a reminder that on ships, ship happens. 

I want a ship that  has GEDUNKS   available.... too... and ports like Subic Bay...(.Now, there  was a port,  and no comment on that) .   ................................................................................................... (DD530/ DE797/ DE633)

We want a ship where the cabin HVAC is in good working order, the plumbing works with no mouldy smells from previous plumbing leaks that were not properly remediated or on a ship where the cruise line thinks that it is fine to minimize dry dock time and do repairs/upgrades whilst revenue passengers are on board.

We find everything else......food, service, entertainment, crew so variable with and between the mass market cruise lines.  Now, we spend more time comparing ships than we do cruise lines.  They all seem to be migrating to the lowest common denominator. We can just as easily have a wonderful cruise on any of them as we can a mediocre.  We do not believe that any one of the mass market lines is that much better than the others.  Different perhaps, but not appreciably better.

There seems to be a cadre of very loyal customers on most cruise lines.  The most loyal seem to be the hear no evil speak no evil types when it comes to their favorite.  Seems odd to us since it is a for profit corporate entity.  No different than Campbell’s soup or GM.

Edited by iancal