HAL vs other cruise lines

Peace2U

DH and I are booked for our first HAL cruise. We have been on most of the other cruise lines. What is the differences with HAL? Since it appeals to an older clientele, what are the good and bad things about the line? I know they are rated very highly in all categories, so I am sure we will be thrilled. Just wanting to know kind of what to expect.

It would be helpful to know what ship you will be sailing on and when. With the different classes of ships in my option there are different experiences. A few thing that don’t change is the stellar service of the ship staff and the above average food. 

• Like 1

They offer a daily laundry special, while most other lines offer the laundry bag special for one day a week.   Once you get to 200 cruise points, you start getting that daily laundry special as one of your perks. 

Other loyalty benefits, 25-50% off specialty dinners.  Other cruise lines offer the 50% off the first or second night only.

You can place special orders in the MDR.

HAL also offers longer cruises.

Coffee is better, even MDR coffee.  I'm not a fan of the cruise lines that serve horrid coffee in the MDR so you'll buy their specialty coffee.

Cloth towels and hand lotion in the public restrooms.

Edited by knittinggirl
  • Like 1

I like HAL as it has in the past catered to an older, quieter clientele.  I have not been on HAL’s newer larger ships so I am speaking from my experience on the traditional smaller ships.  There are fewer amusement park amenities than the big ships.  They do have superior enrichment lectures.   The ships tend to quiet down much earlier than other ships. For example,  on my last cruise I was the last person in the pool at 9 o’clock. 

Edited by Mary229

16 minutes ago, Peace2U said:

DH and I are booked for our first HAL cruise. We have been on most of the other cruise lines. What is the differences with HAL? Since it appeals to an older clientele, what are the good and bad things about the line? I know they are rated very highly in all categories, so I am sure we will be thrilled. Just wanting to know kind of what to expect.

Looking at your cruising history in your signature, I think the biggest difference you'll notice is the lack of entertainment on HAL.  For starters, you'll be lucky if there is 1 game show, unlike the nightly game shows on all the other lines you've sailed.  There is no pool band, and HAL doesn't have a nice central atrium like Princess' Piazza.  HAL ships shut down pretty early.

As a plus, staterooms on HAL feel larger than Princess.  They're designed more like RCI with couches in rooms rather than a walk-in taking up so much room like on Princess.  

I think the food and service is about the same as on all mass market lines.   

• Thanks 1

Quieter, few announcements, more older people also includes seeing more mobility devices which is also proves how well and how long people can still enjoy cruising, but it can from time to time  mean slower lines as the staff accommodates their special needs.  More interesting  off the beaten path ports on occasion and longer itineraries. Smaller ships mean smaller impacts on ports when HAL ships arrive.

Could any other cruise line have such universally gracious and welcoming staffers? People say it is true, but I never want to find out because we just love  HAL's "ship of smiles". It is a certain glow that one senses throughout the ship.  Yes, we do go to bed pretty early on these ships - the longer the cruise and the older the clientele you will see this more ,  but mainly because we are here more for the interesting ports than keeping up for the midnight hours and sleeping it off the next morning.  

HAL is for the self-contained passenger; not someone who needs constant outside stimulation. Older ships have lovely libraries which also offer very traditional activities like board games and puzzles. Even shuffleboard. But also pickleball, ping pong and a well equipped gym and their wonderful 360 walking promenades. One feels, sees, smells and appreciates they are at sea on HAL ships. These indeed are cruise ships; not floating hotels or shopping malls. 

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Looking at your cruising history in your signature, I think the biggest difference you'll notice is the lack of entertainment on HAL.  For starters, you'll be lucky if there is 1 game show, unlike the nightly game shows on all the other lines you've sailed.  There is no pool band, and HAL doesn't have a nice central atrium like Princess' Piazza.  HAL ships shut down pretty early.

Does that count trivia games too? We love trivia!

1 minute ago, Peace2U said:

HAL does have trivia, so good news there.  It seemed kinda limited on my last HAL cruise though.  I definitely saw more themed trivia on my previous HAL cruises.  

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, freestyling said:

It would be helpful to know what ship you will be sailing on and when. With the different classes of ships in my option there are different experiences. A few thing that don’t change is the stellar service of the ship staff and the above average food. 

We are on the Zuiderdam this coming weekend.

20 minutes ago, Peace2U said:

We are on the Zuiderdam this coming weekend.

Good basic ship - nothing glamorous, just a solid basic cruise ship.  Good value, nicely laid out cabins. Easy to get around. It will serve you well with few to no complications.  Where are you going? HAL ships are mainly about traveling and getting you there and home in good care and comfort. 

Edited by OlsSalt

I wouldn’t necessarily say that it attracts an older clientele, but it does attract a more traveled clientele with an appreciation for attention to detail and who are cruising for the more traditional pleasures of cruising, like the destinations, enrichment, better customer service, and overall higher quality,  rather than the latest and most innovative forms of entertainment found on the newest and largest ships on other cruise lines. That’s the main difference that we noticed.

Yes, the ship quiets down earlier, but that seems to be by design. The focus seems to be placed more on relaxation and a more sedate atmosphere, from the entertainment, to the lack of annoying loudspeaker announcements rather than the high energy and late night entertainment found on other cruise lines. We didn’t particularly care much for the actual ship (we sailed on Westerdam and we found her a bit dark and gloomy), but HAL excelled on pretty much every other department. I would choose them in order to visit new destinations commonly not found on other cruise lines. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, knittinggirl said:

They offer a daily laundry special, while most other lines offer the laundry bag special for one day a week.   Once you get to 200 cruise points, you start getting that daily laundry special as one of your perks. 

Other loyalty benefits, 25-50% off specialty dinners.  Other cruise lines offer the 50% off the first or second night only.

You can place special orders in the MDR.

HAL also offers longer cruises.

Coffee is better, even MDR coffee.  I'm not a fan of the cruise lines that serve horrid coffee in the MDR so you'll buy their specialty coffee.

Cloth towels and hand lotion in the public restrooms.

That all sounds nice!

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I like HAL as it has in the past catered to an older, quieter clientele.  I have not been on HAL’s newer larger ships so I am speaking from my experience on the traditional smaller ships.  There are fewer amusement park amenities than the big ships.  They do have superior enrichment lectures.   The ships tend to quiet down much earlier than other ships. For example,  on my last cruise I was the last person in the pool at 9 o’clock. 

I like going to bed earlier, so I might like that.

2 hours ago, Aquahound said:

As a plus, staterooms on HAL feel larger than Princess.  They're designed more like RCI with couches in rooms rather than a walk-in taking up so much room like on Princess.  

I think the food and service is about the same as on all mass market lines.   

I do like those couches.

2 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

HAL is for the self-contained passenger; not someone who needs constant outside stimulation. Older ships have lovely libraries which also offer very traditional activities like board games and puzzles. Even shuffleboard. But also pickleball, ping pong and a well equipped gym and their wonderful 360 walking promenades. One feels, sees, smells and appreciates they are at sea on HAL ships. These indeed are cruise ships; not floating hotels or shopping malls. 

Sounds great! I have no idea what pickleball is, but I am sure to find out now.

1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

Good basic ship - nothing glamorous, just a solid basic cruise ship.  Good value, nicely laid out cabins. Easy to get around. It will serve you well with few to no complications.  Where are you going? HAL ships are mainly about traveling and getting you there and home in good care and comfort. 

Basic works for me. Going to the Panama Canal (10 nights).

• Like 1

You've sailed on Princess, so if you call HAL you can request being a 1 Star Mariner, which will get you invited to the Mariners Luncheon, usually held on the last sea day, or so.  That is when they give out the gift delft tiles.  When you call have the date and ship of a sailing on any Carnival Corporation cruise company, such as Princess.  m-- 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

You've sailed on Princess, so if you call HAL you can request being a 1 Star Mariner, which will get you invited to the Mariners Luncheon, usually held on the last sea day, or so.  That is when they give out the gift delft tiles.  When you call have the date and ship of a sailing on any Carnival Corporation cruise company, such as Princess.  m-- 

That is great to know, thanks!

Also know that HAL has very good room service menus.  Plus you can get MDR food delivered to your room during the MDR serving hours - best to check on board for their process.  I have not been on Z'dam but really like her sister O'dam.  The partial transit of Panama Canal is a nice cruise, enjoy!  m--

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peace2U said:

DH and I are booked for our first HAL cruise. We have been on most of the other cruise lines. What is the differences with HAL? ... Just wanting to know kind of what to expect.

There are many differences between HAL and the other main stream cruise lines but IMHO only one significant difference - only HAL has a Roman Catholic priest (who celebrates daily Mass) on board every one of its cruises. Since spiritual renewal is an important component of our vacation experience, HAL is our hands-down choice.

We are also going to be on the Zuiderdam for the upcoming Panama Canal cruise, our third time on this itinerary.  If this one is even half as good as either of the previous ones, it will be fantastic!!!  I hope you enjoy the cruise!

Edited by avian777
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Peace2U said:

Trivia fan here.

You will notice that HAL gears its trivia game  to its passengers level of education and experience. Questions will require a wide base of knowledge to answer.

The game is certainly more intellectually stimulating than trivia games on other lines.

• Like 2

I have to counter  the argument that all HAL passengers are over the hill with one foot in the grave.

While we are now in the older category, we definitely were not when we first started cruising HAL.  And my daughter also loves HAL.

As mentioned, yes, many go to sleep early because most are up early to enjoy the ports.

No one has mentioned the artwork that are on the ships. Each ship has beautiful works of art on display. If curious, guest services desk can provide you with a handout describing each piece or collection.

The other attraction is that one does not need to eat in speciality restaurants to have food that approaches edible.   The HAL main dining room serves food that is equal to food that is served in better shore restaurants. Service is impeccable.  If someone's idea of dinner is gobble and go favorites such as mac and cheese, fried chicken or meat loaf that one can have in a greasy spoon, HAL is not the cruise line for them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Trivia fan here.

You will notice that HAL gears its trivia game  to its passengers level of education and experience. Questions will require a wide base of knowledge to answer.

The game is certainly more intellectually stimulating than trivia games on other lines.

I would agree, I have sailed on most of the mass market lines and the trivia on HAL is a bit more challenging than on most lines, but be warned, there are some long time cruisers aboard who also love trivia and they are hard to beat.

Overall I think you will enjoy the HAL experience.  HAL is more about the itinerary than they are about the ship itself.  Very relaxing most of the time, so if you are looking for a ship with all the bells and whistles that the new mega ships have, then HAL might not be a good fit for you.  But if you sail for the trip itself and going on a partial canal transit sounds like you are, then you will enjoy your trip.  Have a great cruise.

• Like 3

We love HAL!  We sailed the Rotterdam this past fall and it felt like we were coming home!  We are natural early birds so that's not a problem for us.  I was surprised how casual elegant night was, after making my DH wear a tux!  

I liked attending the Window's workshops.

Can't wait to cruise again!

• Like 1