Day Dreaming: Starting your own AUS/NZ based cruise line - ideas.

14 hours ago, Hunter69 said:

Coolangatta, 

2 hours ago, DDG 41 said:

It would have to be tiny to go there.

If they get their wish cruise terminal there, then apparently, even the Ovation of the Seas will be able to dock there all year round in any weather.

13 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

If they get their wish cruise terminal there, then apparently, even the Ovation of the Seas will be able to dock there all year round in any weather.

That's really just their Mayor's wish. In any weather? unlikely if Brisbane was closed recently then GC would be closed for way longer.

2 minutes ago, DDG 41 said:

I Don't want mega monstrosities either, but they need to be big enough to have things to keep us entertained.

One person's monstrosity is another's beautiful ship. This is why cruising is so popular and it can cater for so many differing tastes.

1 hour ago, chopper_1 said:

Milk. Real Milk. Not the UHT/long life crap that makes it impossible for any barista to make a half-decent coffee.

Storage is the problem, it needs constant refrigeration UHT just gets stacked and cooled before use. Always a problem on ships, storage, one reason things cost more.

23 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

You don't want much then.:classic_tongue:

And less of it. get into smaller ports, ports not so overrun, get to know your fellow travellers. I’d say if I had my way 400 or 500 would be the sweet spot.

2 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

And less of it. get into smaller ports, ports not so overrun, get to know your fellow travellers. I’d say if I had my way 400 or 500 would be the sweet spot.

You can do that now, just not with Mass market lines as they are catering for the masses.

Just now, MicCanberra said:

You can do that now, just not with Mass market lines as they are catering for the masses.

And blow all that do Sydney to Sydney, most are only one way.

and even fewer in my price range.

15 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Storage is the problem, it needs constant refrigeration UHT just gets stacked and cooled before use. Always a problem on ships, storage, one reason things cost more.

I suspect it's based on cost of product as well as cost of handling. It was all fresh (at least in Australia anyway) 10 years ago. Now on the last few trips the baristas are busy for about two hours. Then no-one wants the rubbish they serve, and they just stand around.

Partially solved the problem, by bringing on our own. So at least cereal and tea were OK.

1 minute ago, chopper_1 said:

I suspect it's based on cost of product as well as cost of handling. It was all fresh (at least in Australia anyway) 10 years ago. Now on the last few trips the baristas are busy for about two hours. Then no-one wants the rubbish they serve, and they just stand around.

Partially solved the problem, by bringing on our own. So at least cereal and tea were OK.

Bring your own milk? I am glad I drink my tea and coffee black.

4 hours ago, DDG 41 said:

I Don't want mega monstrosities either, but they need to be big enough to have things to keep us entertained.

Over New Year I spent 16 days on Sea Dream II with 100 passengers and 92 crew. The entertainment comprises of two blokes who played the guitar and piano. There was a piano bar in which you could sing along with the piano player, a sort of live karaoke. On a few nights the two crew members would play their guitars to a backing track and become a dance band.

the passengers all joined in at the piano bar or with the guitar player in the top of the yacht bar every night. 

I spoke to a a lot of them about the entertainment and they were without exception delighted that there were no shows on board. Most of them were the kind of people who go to a lot of theatre and concert performances on land. They don’t need to see shows at sea as well. But perhaps more important was that they wanted the small ship yachting experience which is more about long gourmet meals and conversation with other travellers over a few drinks rather than rushing off to be entertained by others.

35 minutes ago, Toryhere said:

Over New Year I spent 16 days on Sea Dream II with 100 passengers and 92 crew. The entertainment comprises of two blokes who played the guitar and piano. There was a piano bar in which you could sing along with the piano player, a sort of live karaoke. On a few nights the two crew members would play their guitars to a backing track and become a dance band.

the passengers all joined in at the piano bar or with the guitar player in the top of the yacht bar every night. 

I spoke to a a lot of them about the entertainment and they were without exception delighted that there were no shows on board. Most of them were the kind of people who go to a lot of theatre and concert performances on land. They don’t need to see shows at sea as well. But perhaps more important was that they wanted the small ship yachting experience which is more about long gourmet meals and conversation with other travellers over a few drinks rather than rushing off to be entertained by others.

Would suit me to a T.

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 10:57 AM, chopper_1 said:

Milk. Real Milk. Not the UHT/long life crap that makes it impossible for any barista to make a half-decent coffee.

They would need a dairy herd on Deck 0 and a team of milkers 🙂

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:23 PM, chopper_1 said:

What ship? in my experience the cabin fridges are not very cold, and I would not trust them to keep fresh milk cold enough for very long.

I enjoy the on-board barista coffee (flat whites) that they make using the long life milk, whatever that says about differences in taste 🙂