Accessible cabins

lenquixote66

On 2/6/2019 at 5:15 PM, jlp20 said:

As I stated, you have to be very pro active. Pick you cruise for NEXT season or even two years away. On a weekly basis you then have to check to see when they open for reservations.

How does a person go about booking so far ahead to ensure they get the accessible cabin they desire? Even 18 months out I am unable to do so; later cruise dates for the cruise we want to go on haven't been released yet. Can I put in a request prior to release dates?

Edit

2 hours ago, Mam67 said:

How does a person go about booking so far ahead to ensure they get the accessible cabin they desire? Even 18 months out I am unable to do so; later cruise dates for the cruise we want to go on haven't been released yet. Can I put in a request prior to release dates?

I booked a cruise 12 months in advance ,however,my medical problems are getting worse and I may not be able to do the cruise.

6 hours ago, mets123 said:

You need to book your cabins the day of day after a new set of dates are released. RCCL provides a schedule when this occurs.

I agree. I follow Cruise Critic's RCI's forum. Somebody on the forum normally flags up when the RCI schedule is going to be released. We then book cruises the day they go on sail.

I'm sure other cruise forums, on CC, have similar threads.  

To reply to the original quetion, it depends. While I have always touted reserving as soon as bookings open, It depends onthe luck of the draw. Our most recent cruise was booked only four months out and our accessible cabin of choice was available.

I immediately sent in the form online, even though I have cruised with them many times and they usually say they have me on file, but I always include the current mobility devices I am bringing. 

Happy sailing!

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 12:01 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Is that what most people do ? 

As a wheelchair user, I also need accessible cabins.  I have learned to plan WAY AHEAD in order to get what I need on the cruise I want.  Generally I book cruises as soon as the cruise is available for booking.  Otherwise I know that I won't get the choices of cabins.  Also, I tend to try to book on newer, bigger ships as they generally have more accessible cabins.  A ship with only 8 accessible cabins sounds like an older much smaller ship.  Are you interested in trying for a different ship?

On 2/18/2019 at 1:13 PM, lenquixote66 said:

A reputable doctor will never charge for writing a letter.....

Unfortunately corporate America has infiltrated the doctor's office. While the doctor mat dictate and sign the letter, office staff do the billing and word processing. 

On 2/23/2019 at 4:11 AM, Mam67 said:

How does a person go about booking so far ahead to ensure they get the accessible cabin they desire? Even 18 months out I am unable to do so; later cruise dates for the cruise we want to go on haven't been released yet. Can I put in a request prior to release dates?

Well, it's called looking or asking. Cruise lines release their next seasons for booking 16-20 months in advance. when your getting close to that window, you start checking. As stated before, I made my booking about a week after the bookings were available. We wanted one of the four cabins with our preference on this ship. One had already been taken.

I just noticed that Norwegian Cruise Line's website now allows you to view accessible cabins by checking a box during the online booking process.  This is great -- previously we always had to call NCL before to find out if any accessible cabins were available for my disabled friends/family.  I'm glad that NCL is catching up with what some other cruise line websites already offered.

My friends and I are booked on a cruise to Bermuda on the NCL Escape in late May.  I would have thought that all the accessible cabins would be booked already, but now that I can check on the website, I see that there are several ADA-compliant rooms still available for those who want to book closer to the cruise.  I don't know if they have been available all along or if they opened up after the final payment date.  But it's nice that a person can now check online rather than having to wait on hold for a customer service rep to check availability for them.  

Hi All. Celebrity also allows you to check a need for an Accessible cabin. I have booked that way this year for DH. Some dates are not available but with a little flexibility, I am happy to say this has worked. Best wishes in locating a cabin for cruising.

24 minutes ago, Going Coastal said:

I have never seen an accessible cabin priced higher than than a comparable regular cabin. 

Can you book a guarantee accessible?

are ther accessible cabins in each and every category

no you have to pay the premium for the location they put them in.

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

And you have to book at release when prices are generally at their highest

If you pay attention to prices, you'll find there is a cycle in the cost. Made booking soon after the season was released, about 19 months. We wanted one of four cabins, one had already been taken. As stated by others, initial offering price was expensive. For THIS cruise, price dropped and rose three times. Ignored the first, made a call for the second, net cost dropped $2K. Price went back up after a couple of weeks. Several months later another "sale" occurred. Another call and another $K in my pocket. If your not proactive you have no basis to complain. 

I haven't seen an accessible guarentee. And to reiterate, they are not at a premium price. I do book at least 18 to 20 months in advance, but was also able to get them 7 months out. RCCL also shows accessible rooms very easily. One last comment, yes the prices are usually the highest when dates are released. But if the rates to down before final payment, I have never had a problem getting it repriced. You do need to be vigilant!

A few times I’ve tried to take advantage of fare drops when I’ve had an accessible cabin only to be told there are no cabins in that category available, even though there are other balcony (non accessible cabins) so no can’t do it.

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

A few times I’ve tried to take advantage of fare drops when I’ve had an accessible cabin only to be told there are no cabins in that category available, even though there are other balcony (non accessible cabins) so no can’t do it.

Did this twice on upcoming cruise. Last call was made 75 days ago and took all of four minutes. Both times cabin availability was never mentioned and there was no other question asked. If it matters, booking was marked no upgrade. 

7 hours ago, jlp20 said:

If you pay attention to prices, you'll find there is a cycle in the cost. Made booking soon after the season was released, about 19 months. We wanted one of four cabins, one had already been taken. As stated by others, initial offering price was expensive. For THIS cruise, price dropped and rose three times. Ignored the first, made a call for the second, net cost dropped $2K. Price went back up after a couple of weeks. Several months later another "sale" occurred. Another call and another $K in my pocket. If your not proactive you have no basis to complain. 

In the UK we have not got this repricing option. So I hope you are not saying I have not right to complain?  

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:03 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I am not accusing them of discrimination . My feeling is that ships should have more than 8 cabins for the disabled.

Lenquixote66 - I understand and I wish ALL cabins on ships were wheelchair accessible.  Hell, I wish everything was wheelchair accessible and I could just go wherever and whenever I want.  Unfortunately, it's not.  My advice is to look at larger, newer ships.  Those ships tend to have more accessible cabins with more cabin types available.  A ship with only 8 accessible rooms sounds to me like an older, very small ship and in my experience those ships are problematic for more than just the number of accessible cabins.  Generally they are retrofit and will have steep ramps to cross over thresholds into some public spaces (especially outdoor decks from my experience) and less options for seating at shows, etc.  It's kind of like when an old building adds a ramp and an accessible bathroom but it's still an old building with narrow hallways and tight turns as opposed to a new building that was designed to be wheelchair accessible from the ground up.  Just a thought.  Good luck on your cabin!

I have filled out the mobility requirement document with RCCL once before.  I have never been asked again.  I don't know if they have it on file for me, or if this is no longer a requirement when booking accessible rooms.  I do remember when booking accessible rooms had to be done over the phone and not on the website which may have made it more difficult for people to fraudulently book accessible cabins.  I do NOT want to have to get a doctors note for every cruise I take.  I have a lifetime disability and being required to do something like that every time I want to cruise puts an undue burden on me both monetarily and for the time it takes to do so.  

People will continue to book accessible cabins when they don't need them, just like people will continue to park in a handicapped space with their family member's placard, or use the handicapped restroom stall just because it's "roomier".  Any additional hoops we add will just make our lives harder and the people who are determined to scam the system will continue doing so.  Is it fair?  No.  But it's life.

Here in the U.K. we have to fill in a disability form before we travel.

The reason ships only have a few accessible cabins is that, in an emergency, someone is assigned to help them. They can only help a specified number of people.

In the event of a real emergency, scooters, wheelchairs, walking aids and slow frail people are a hindrance to evacuation. See Costa Concordia disaster.

I use a wheelchair as I can only walk a few steps, also I can’t use a bath (wish I could) and a small shower is very difficult.

we had to book an ordinary cabin on our next cruise, booked 11 months ahead, and asked to be waitlisted. Now three months to go and we have been offered an accessible cabin. Yippee! It is four grades above that which we had originally booked and we had to pay £340 extra, but it’s worth it for the extra safety that it affords me.

We have booked an accessible cabin on a cruise in 2020 and paid a deposit which is non-refundable. If my condition deteriorates we shall have to cancel. Also age is against us as our travel insurance will increase enormously as I reach 75 this year and we can only insure 12 months in advance.in the U.K. But that’s another story.

Good luck with getting Royal Caribbean to change their policy. I don’t know what Pinnicle means, but if they can get a disabled cabin when they are perfectly fit, I think that is disgraceful.

Edited by silversurf1
Missed words

In the UK we are given the disability special needs form with the booking confirmation. We also have to ring Royal Caribbean to book an accessible cabin. Or in our case I let our TA ring Royal Caribbean.

Pinnacle is Royal Caribbean top loyalty tier.