Money Exchange

trtog7

3 minutes ago, trtog7 said:

Going on a Japanese cruise on Celebrity Millennium in November

Will it be possible to get Japanese Yen on board the ship

Not usually, and if it was possible, the exchange rate would be as bad as any hotel or airport currency exchange. 

Use a bank like Wells Fargo, to get some basic spending yen- at least enough to get you to a Japanese ATM at a bank displaying the same logo as your bank. 

BTW, in a foreign bank ATM use only a bank ATM card or ATM/Debit card wth the Debit feature disabled. NEVER  get cash with a credit card (interest starts accruing immediately).

Lots of ATMs available at Narita when you fly in.  Or near your hotel if staying somewhere pre-cruise.  I would highly recommend that rather than getting it in the USA - your rates would probably not make it worth the hassle (at least to my minimal research). 

One thing to remember is that they will ask how much to withdraw in yen, not dollars, so know your basic conversion rate so that you don't take too much or too little.  Current rough rate is 110 yen to one USD.  That approximation will serve you well.

On 2/9/2019 at 7:03 PM, trtog7 said:

Going on a Japanese cruise on Celebrity Millennium in November

Will it be possible to get Japanese Yen on board the ship

They did when we were on an Asian cruise back in 2016, but the ATM at Narita will give your a better exchange rate. We used the ship's exchange to turn in some extra Yen after leaving Japan.

As frequent International Travelers we rely on our ATM/Debit cards to get cash (at the best rates) all over the world.  But Japan does have some "issues" with our North American (and European) ATM cards.  Many of their bank ATM machines are not on any of the networks used outside of Japan.  This will not be a problem at Narita or Haneda but can be frustrating when traveling around the country.  There are quite a few articles on the Internet about the problem along with suggestions of which ATM machines do work with our cards.   I am posting a link to one those sites but its always a good idea to read a few different online articles:https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2208.html

We also recommend contacting your own ATM issuing bank (and your credit card issuers) to let them know about your upcoming trip itinerary and intent to use your cards in foreign lands.  This will help avoid any security problems that can arise when the systems detect unusual usage patterns.

Hank

I travel internationally for work and pleasure.

More than 50% of the year.

I get my cash from ATMs.  PERIOD.

Best exchange rate.  Most convenient.

Even in Japan now. 😄

First trip to Japan was 2000.  We had already done many trips using ATMs.  In 2000, there were 6 (yes SIX) ATM locations in all of the Greater Tokyo Metro area.  Four Citibank offices and two AMEX offices.  And most vendors could not handle a non-Japanese credit card either.