Deck 8 Breakaway

CozGurl

Looking at a Breakaway balcony next year and deck 8 seems packed with activity. Is that a good deck to book a balcony? Reasons why or why it wouldn't be? This would be the largest ship we've been on. Not sure how to weigh our options.  

Check out this review, some of the balconies near the waterfront are so close that you can see in the rooms from the waterfront, I should add that the waterfront is on deck 8: 

Edited by keefeka

Last time we were on Breakaway our cabin was on deck 8 with a big balcony. The balcony was great and being steps away from (then) Fat Cats Jazz and Blues Club and outdoor seating at Maltings Bar was awesome. Also, the shuffleboard is right below on deck 7. 

However, at night we did hear the music from the theater shows below (we are not shows people). Not late but we did hear it. Just one thing to consider. If you enjoy the shows in the theater, well, then you’ll probably be in there enjoying them!

Next time we will probably go back to deck 10, to an angled balcony near the aft of the ship. Yes, you will hear the music from the parties at night up in Spice H2O if out on your balcony, but with the door closed it’s not bad. We were at those parties a lot of the time! A cabin by the elevators and stairs is better than the long walk down the deck 8 narrow cabin hallway ( for us anyway ). 

Hope this helps. Have a great cruise!

My preferred room on these ships are the mini suites with large balconies on deck 8.

However, if you are just looking at the ones with normal sized balconies then I would look elsewhere. What has been said about people being able to see the balconies/into the rooms is true for those cabins. In addition, the shuffleboard is just below these rooms and can be noisy.

Look elsewhere unless you are going for the rooms with large balconies. If the price difference is only $200 to get the large balcony then, in my opinion, that is a bargain.

$200 per person, so we'd rather spend that on a Thermal suite pass or something.

Is the shuffleboard on both sides of the ship?

Can people see your balcony any more than balcony neighbors already can? Just about anytime I'd poke my head over the railing and look forward or back there would be someone else poking their head over looking back at me.

5 hours ago, CozGurl said:

Ahhhh I see now. Large balcony is a category. That'd be nice but with just 2 of us I don't think it would be worth the extra $200 to get a large.

Keep in mind the standard balconies on Breakaway are VERY small.  @meatball_nyc posted some great pictures.  Personally on BA, I'd probably stick with an ocean view and save some cash if my only options was the tiny balcony.  The bigger balconies and aft balconies are a different story.  

Also, as you can see from the pictures, some of the balconies in this area are fairly exposed to views from above and below.  That may be worth considering.

Finally, it isn't relevant to this trip, but the BA+ ship's have large balconies.  Just FYI if your future travels take you on one Breakaway's big sisters!