Cruise booking disappointment

majortom10

I usually look on Princess' website to see what cabins are available, then I contact my TA and set up the cruise.  I have had occasion where Princess was showing the cabin I wanted as being available, but the system the TA was using did not show the cabin as available.  I would have to set up the cruise through Princess and then shift the booking over to my TA.  I suspect that my TA could only book cabins that their system had blocked off and it wouldn't show other available cabins. 

Try booking directly with Princess.  (And yes, I question using the TA at all if I have to set up the cruise myself but I wanted the perks they offered.)  :classic_rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I usually look on Princess' website to see what cabins are available, then I contact my TA and set up the cruise.  I have had occasion where Princess was showing the cabin I wanted as being available, but the system the TA was using did not show the cabin as available.  I would have to set up the cruise through Princess and then shift the booking over to my TA.  I suspect that my TA could only book cabins that their system had blocked off and it wouldn't show other available cabins. 

Agents are giving a choice of what the cruise line considers the best cabins but they can also enter in a specific cabin to see if it is available. Have your agent do this next time. They should have access to the same cabin inventory.

1 minute ago, Coral said:

Agents are giving a choice of what the cruise line considers the best cabins but they can also enter in a specific cabin to see if it is available. Have your agent do this next time. They should have access to the same cabin inventory.

I specifically quoted the cabin number I wanted and the TA could not book it as their system showed that cabin as unavailable.  TA suggested that as long as Princess was showing me the cabin I wanted as available that I should book that cabin through Princess and switch the booking over to the TA after I had confirmation that I had that particular cabin reserved.

This is why I suggested to OP that they look at availability directly on the Princess website.  OP may see something different than what the TA can see.

Not sure if your TA is misinformed,  misinterpreting data, or just plain wrong. We can hold a booking for 3 days without deposit but the deposit once made is often non-refundable (although it can be transferred). I held 3 possibilities overnight but released them this morning and booked 1 under the $1 deposit (which carries a 10% cancelation fee. Which is why I put them on hold until I decided.)

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Try booking directly with Princess.  (And yes, I question using the TA at all if I have to set up the cruise myself but I wanted the perks they offered.)  :classic_rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Coral said:

I have since checked Princes website in the UK  which is showing even less cabins than what my TA offered me so I believe my TA was correct in telling me full availability and now showing less because more have booked since contacting TA.

52 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Not sure if your TA is misinformed,  misinterpreting data, or just plain wrong. We can hold a booking for 3 days without deposit but the deposit once made is often non-refundable (although it can be transferred). I held 3 possibilities overnight but released them this morning and booked 1 under the $1 deposit (which carries a 10% cancelation fee. Which is why I put them on hold until I decided.)

That is a benefit of booking in the US that we do not have in UK. Any availability and price is only guaranteed at the time and it is not possible to "hold" a cabin. If you contact your TA the next day to book prices can change usually upwards. Even if you phone Princess direct in Southampton they will not "hold" cabins.

Edited by majortom10

5 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

That is a benefit of booking in the US that we do not have in UK. Any availability and price is only guaranteed at the time and it is not possible to "hold" a cabin. If you contact your TA the next day to book prices can change usually upwards. Even if you phone Princess direct in Southampton they will not "hold" cabins.

WOW! That's not fair. Glad I'm in the US! Yes I often hold and release (not waiting for it to expire) when trying to figure dates out

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

WOW! That's not fair. Glad I'm in the US! Yes I often hold and release (not waiting for it to expire) when trying to figure dates out

Princess UK will hold cabin fox for 24hrs, exactly as they do in the USA 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

In Australia I was told we couldn't "hold" a cabin either, but what we can do is place a booking and then we have 3 days to make the deposit payment before that booking gets cancelled (if you've not paid).  So in effect you can hold a cabin for up to 3 days, by booking it... but it's considered a booking, not a "hold".

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Obsi said:

In Australia I was told we couldn't "hold" a cabin either, but what we can do is place a booking and then we have 3 days to make the deposit payment before that booking gets cancelled (if you've not paid).  So in effect you can hold a cabin for up to 3 days, by booking it... but it's considered a booking, not a "hold".

We cannot do that either if we confirm a booking we have to pay the deposit straight away and if you cancel it even the next day then you lose your deposit.