Orlando/Cocoa Beach Hotels

ksmommy5

Hello!

I decided to bite the bullet and book my first solo cruise on the Harmony OTS September, 2019. I am overwhelmed with the hotel options, as unfortunately, this port is far away from the airport. Looking for recommendations of hotels (just a bed, nothing fancy, trying to keep costs down) that offers airport pickup and port shuttle or airport pickup with recommendations for shuttle services to port? 

Thanks!

You can check goportcanaveral.com for package deals (hotel and transport)

Several shared shuttle providers, with one-way fares starting at about $20+ per person - Cortrans and Cocoa Beach Shuttle are the two most often suggested.

We prefer to stay in Orlando (1000's of hotels in every price range) - others prefer to stay closer to the port.  Lots of hotels near MCO airport with airport shuttles - Super 8 and La Quinta are usually good, budget options.

I suggest that you join your roll call to see if there are others arriving on your flight - you might be able to share transport or a one-way car rental.  Good luck! 😎

I don't know of any hotel that would give you a combination of airport to hotel and hotel to port transportation.  

If you want to stay near the airport (MCO I assume, not Melbourne), there are a whole bunch of low/mid range chains out north of the airport.  I stayed at the Hyatt Place Orlando Airport as a solo.  To me, that was a budget hotel (but I used Hyatt points for my stay).  There are a good number of chain restaurants within a couple of blocks where you can walk for a meal.  I felt safe in that area at night, walking.  The Hyatt Place offers s hotel shuttle from MCO.   Do a Google Maps search for that Hyatt Place and you'll also find all the other hotels in the neighborhood and can search for what those offer before making your choice.  There was a Sleep Inn and a few others in another section near the airport near a Waffle House on McCoy Rd - I ate my departure breakfast at WF (I MUST eat at any WF!), but I would never consider staying in that neighborhood - too much commercial traffic noise and didn't feel particularly conducive to walking around at night as a solo.  

I can't comment on shuttles from Orlando to the port as I have driven to Cocoa Beach myself with a rental car.  

57 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I don't know of any hotel that would give you a combination of airport to hotel and hotel to port transportation.  

If you want to stay near the airport (MCO I assume, not Melbourne), there are a whole bunch of low/mid range chains out north of the airport.  I stayed at the Hyatt Place Orlando Airport as a solo.  To me, that was a budget hotel (but I used Hyatt points for my stay).  There are a good number of chain restaurants within a couple of blocks where you can walk for a meal.  I felt safe in that area at night, walking.  The Hyatt Place offers s hotel shuttle from MCO.   Do a Google Maps search for that Hyatt Place and you'll also find all the other hotels in the neighborhood and can search for what those offer before making your choice.  There was a Sleep Inn and a few others in another section near the airport near a Waffle House on McCoy Rd - I ate my departure breakfast at WF (I MUST eat at any WF!), but I would never consider staying in that neighborhood - too much commercial traffic noise and didn't feel particularly conducive to walking around at night as a solo.  

I can't comment on shuttles from Orlando to the port as I have driven to Cocoa Beach myself with a rental car.  

Thank you! 

I went with EconoLodge in Port Canaveral area because it was cheap, cheap shuttle to Port and most importantly, as a Canadian, it is across the street from Olive Garden. Hah! 

On 2/17/2019 at 12:09 PM, ksmommy5 said:

Thank you! 

I went with EconoLodge in Port Canaveral area because it was cheap, cheap shuttle to Port and most importantly, as a Canadian, it is across the street from Olive Garden. Hah! 

Olive Garden!  And, here I thought it was The Keg that my friends from Up North longed for 😉

Interesting choice to be on Merritt Island rather than the usual Port Canaveral or Cocoa Beach.  I think it is someplace we forget for cruisers.  It does have all the chain restaurants in the neighborhood.  And, a Publix for you to get all you goodies for the cruise. 

1 minute ago, slidergirl said:

Olive Garden!  And, here I thought it was The Keg that my friends from Up North longed for 😉

Interesting choice to be on Merritt Island rather than the usual Port Canaveral or Cocoa Beach.  I think it is someplace we forget for cruisers.  It does have all the chain restaurants in the neighborhood.  And, a Publix for you to get all you goodies for the cruise. 

We actually have The Keg! (at least in Ontario). I was basing my choice of hotels off of cost but proximity to food and alcohol. I am hoping the drive to the port is not that long. They said it was only about 15/20 minute drive and the shuttle is only 10$. I got the room for around 80$. It is not the best hotel but as long as there is a bed I am good. Travelling as a solo, trying to keep costs down as much as I can. The hotels in Cocoa Beach were not in my budget and nowhere within walking distance to get alcohol so I went with the cheaper option. Hoping it works out well! I am counting down the days until unlimited breadsticks! 

32 minutes ago, ksmommy5 said:

We actually have The Keg! (at least in Ontario). I was basing my choice of hotels off of cost but proximity to food and alcohol. I am hoping the drive to the port is not that long. They said it was only about 15/20 minute drive and the shuttle is only 10$. I got the room for around 80$. It is not the best hotel but as long as there is a bed I am good. Travelling as a solo, trying to keep costs down as much as I can. The hotels in Cocoa Beach were not in my budget and nowhere within walking distance to get alcohol so I went with the cheaper option. Hoping it works out well! I am counting down the days until unlimited breadsticks! 

I was thinking that Canadians wanted The Keg wherever they go for a taste of "home", kind of like Americans seem to go for Hard Rock Cafe.  I had a Canadian friend visit when I had a place in Scottsdale, AZ - she saw an Earls and she went crazy - we had to go there for dinner one night.   

Publix will have all the alcohol you want to purchase, also sunscreen and stuff like that.  I haven't used that Publix, but I used the one down in Cocoa Beach (by my friend's cottage) and the selection was pretty epic.  

I went with EconoLodge in Port Canaveral area because it was cheap, cheap shuttle to Port and most importantly, as a Canadian, it is across the street from Olive Garden. 

hmmmm ... I'm a local and have NO idea where you could be talking about. The nearest Olive Garden is miles from the port .... oh my:

Olive G = 

205 E Merritt Island Causeway
Merritt Island

and guess what there is an Econo Lodge here that says 'Port Canaveral area' ... creative advertising!!!!!

260 E Merritt Island Causeway, Merritt Island, 

I'd never put family here ...... ugh ... can you cancel?  Not the part of town that is gonna leave you with nice memories of the area ( did they offer the hourly rate? )  AND

as the crow flies 6 miles from the port ... by road 8 or more depending on route

and almost 6 miles inland from the beach .... on one of the busiest business roads in the area and by business I mean used car lots, pawn shops and nail parlors .....

Edited by Capt_BJ

5 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

I went with EconoLodge in Port Canaveral area because it was cheap, cheap shuttle to Port and most importantly, as a Canadian, it is across the street from Olive Garden. 

hmmmm ... I'm a local and have NO idea where you could be talking about. The nearest Olive Garden is miles from the port .... oh my:

Olive G = 

205 E Merritt Island Causeway
Merritt Island

and guess what there is an Econo Lodge here that says 'Port Canaveral area' ... creative advertising!!!!!

260 E Merritt Island Causeway, Merritt Island, 

I'd never put family here ...... ugh ... can you cancel?  Not the part of town that is gonna leave you with nice memories of the area ( did they offer the hourly rate? )  AND

as the crow flies 6 miles from the port ... by road 8 or more depending on route

and almost 6 miles inland from the beach .... on one of the busiest business roads in the area and by business I mean used car lots, pawn shops and nail parlors .....

Nope. Can’t cancel. I’m not in Florida for the sights. Just a bed to sleep in and a quick Uber to Walmart. I checked trip advisor. Last review was Jan 2019 and comments were good. 

Just now, Capt_BJ said:

don't trust a local .... I try not to even pass thru that area anymore

Will I die or get shot at if I cross the street to go to Olive Garden? Lol

I am from Toronto. I am used to a little rough around the edges part of town. 

19 hours ago, ksmommy5 said:

Will I die or get shot at if I cross the street to go to Olive Garden? Lol

I am from Toronto. I am used to a little rough around the edges part of town. 

When you've got two people who live in the area saying the area is sketchy...

Please be sure you ask for a non-ground floor room away from any stairs (advice from a Front Desk Manager who is a woman who travels solo).  

• 2 weeks later...

CRUISER

We just cruised from here . This worked well for us .Flying in and out of MCO .We used Cortrans Shuttle both ways very reliable and reasonable rates . Our hotel was Radisson at Port. The hotel reasonable rates clean  good service and shuttle to cruise terminal  {charge} restaurant on site hotel is vacation starter. This worked well for and are doing this again on our next cruise next Feb.  Hint check out Sharron cruise blog on youtube for hotels Cape Canaveral. Happy cruising   

kruise runner

On 2/24/2019 at 12:57 PM, qns1980 said:

We stayed here last May on our cruise. They picked us up from the Airport and took us to the port the next day for our cruise.

https://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/florida/hampton-inn-and-suites-orlando-airport-gateway-village-MCOGWHX/index.html

Can you tell us more about the shuttle to port? 

How long was it by shuttle?

8 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

Can you tell us more about the shuttle to port? 

How long was it by shuttle?

The shuttle  was about a 30 minute  ride, but it was nice. We did stop at another hotel to pick up another family. I can't  remember the exact price for the shuttle to the port,  but it wasn't  too expensive.  If they pick you up from the airport  it is complimentary. 

The judgement here is unreal. Unfortunately, there is a set amount in the budget for a hotel and this is what I could find for my dates. If anyone wants to pay for my "nicer" hotel, by all means, go for it. 

17 hours ago, ksmommy5 said:

The judgement here is unreal. Unfortunately, there is a set amount in the budget for a hotel and this is what I could find for my dates. If anyone wants to pay for my "nicer" hotel, by all means, go for it. 

The locals aren't judging - they are warning about the area.  This hotel in another area closer to the Port would be perfectly fine.   They just want you to be aware of the surroundings.