Tipping

Just now, nickynok1 said:

Actually, I’m quite sure, of course dependant upon the level of service, that I will be leaving more - like I say, I like to make sure my tips go where I intend them to - ie the person  that’s actually doing the work, rather  than someone  sitting in an office somewhere! 

Do as you please but the crew is still obliged upon penalty of discharge to turn the tips into the pool.   

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

You may do what you wish, cancel your participation in the auto gratuities and tip as you see fit.  Accomplishes nothing since all those you tip are required to turn those tips into the pool.  Oh, and be sure and tell your cabin stewards and dining staff that you're removing the auto gratuities choosing to tip as you feel the service deserves.  Do this on the first day so they will have the opportunity to anticipate  your generosity as they provide your service through out your cruise.

My dining staff and room steward know where I stand on gratuities, and are happy for the opportunity to EARN more than they would otherwise. 

When you leave a tip in a shore based establishment you have no control over what happens to it, if the tips are pooled they are pooled and nothing you say or do can change that. You can't give the tip to the waiter and say "I know you pool tips, but this is just for you, don't share it". Once you've left the tip, it's out of your hands literally and figuratively. The crew on board receives the tips in accordance with the agreement between the cruise line and the crew and nothing any of us does or says is going to change that. I have no idea how the tips are distributed and frankly I don't care, it's outside of my control and my only obligation is to leave them. If a staff member has gone out of their way to make my cruise special then I will recognize that with an additional tip. 

• Like 2

On 4/29/2019 at 8:50 AM, EXCREWCRUISER said:

I was senior hotel management onboard. 

They would come to me with their issues and i know the policy and how it works. 

See post #82.  The crew manual does exist and the crew has to return tips received in the event the service charge is removed.