Lima Disembarkation & Pre-booked Taxi

sling

Yes,  ships dock in a vast industrial area. Shuttle buses take you to the port exit, where you will inundated with pushing, shoving, shouting taxi drivers.   Hold onto your wallets and find your prebooked ride.  

Lima is a sketchy place.  Stay with a guide or prebooked taxi.  

We did it the opposite way -- boarded in Lima.  However, we had a city tour booked first (we were on a private tour for 6 through Peru before boarding and this was our last trip with them).  Our van was able to drive us right up to the ship.

I'm wondering if rather than booking a taxi you book a similar tour through the city that your driver could just drive in. 

When we arrived at the port the line of passengers waiting to stand in line on a very hot day was incredible.  We were very happy that we did NOT have to deal with that.  It could be worth paying for a tour that you may not really want just to save the aggravation of getting out of the port with your luggage.

Mura

1 hour ago, ORV said:

I did a ship's tour there, but wasn't embarking or disembarking. I remember having to take the shuttle to the holding area to get on the tour and back to the ship. 

When we did a ship's tour there last year while cruising on Marina we boarded the bus at the ship and were returned to the ship. No shuttles required.

9 hours ago, sling said:

Thanks, everyone.  We will pre-book a Taxi, then.  I contacted some private tour guides.  They're not allowed to enter the port any more.  

Don’t wear any nice shoes when you get off the ship either. This port is the dirtiest, greasiest, oiliest, grimiest port I’ve ever been to.  Spent a lot of time scraping that stuff off my shoes.  We had to wait a long time for a shuttle 

We debarked our ship and exited through the Callao "Port Gate" via the port bus, and found our driver and car immeidately.  We  insisted he have a sign.  Although the vehicle area outside the Port Gate is small (may be 3 acres), it is extremely difficult to work through the throng of people trying to hustle you to find you car, even a minibus.  Also the police discouraged us from walking beyond the Port Gate parking area. 

S\Despite thism We love Lima and Peru.