Hawaii end of March....what should I pack?

Zoemakes5

I've been to Hawaii three times, always in January and it's always been lovely and warm.  If you get chilly in air conditioning, pack a sweater or pashina.  Otherwise, like most resort destinations, the general attire is beach casual by day.  If you just plan to lounge by the pool or beach you don't need much more than swimwear and coverups, and maybe a pair of short or two to wear to breakfast.  If you're doing a lot of excursions, then shorts or capris are in order, and some lightweight, breezy tops.   If you're doing an excursion that will take you to the top of a mountain peak, ex. driving up to the top of Haleakala in Maui, or similar on another island, it's frigid at the top, so take a jacket or sweater for the brief but requisite photo op.   For dinners/evenings think country club casual... sundresses, light weight maxi dresses, capris, white slacks.  Your hubby will be fine in chinos or linen pants, and polos or Tommy Bahama style shirts.  If you're going somewhere really nice for your anniversary dinner, he can wear slacks and a jacket but most places that won't be necessary. 

Think HOT. It's always at least 80 there and sometimes hotter. And it's humid. Think crinkle cotton, shorts, flowy dresses and skimpy tops. I bought a lot of Alohawear at the shops at the Polynesian Cultural Centre on Oahu. They had the best selection of Hawaiian sun dresses, shirts, tees that I've seen anywhere. Touristy, sure but nice stuff. A local could tell you where to shop off the tourist trail. They have plenty of plus sizes in Hawaii, yay me! And they know how to dress for the heat.

I haven't cruised Hawaii, but Hawaii has been my "default" vacation since the 80s...

T-shirts and shorts.  I haven't felt the need for a jacket or sweater like I do in Florida or the Caribbean - I find that Hawaii doesn't air-condition you to death.   I'm not into buying special clothes for my trips, so Alohawear, flowy stuff, etc., never comes into my vocabulary.  

I take one pair of multi-purpose sandals that work for me on the beach or walking around.  And, a pair of trail runners - never know when I want to do a trail!  

And, my Little Black T-shirt Dress!  It goes everywhere with me.  It's worked everywhere from a Michelin 3-star restaurant to a food stall...

I don't think I'd change my choice of  clothes if I were on a cruise in Hawaii - I don't change it for any other cruise.  I just take what I wear normally for the time of year.

yes, I'm low-maintanence. 😉

• Like 1

Hawaii will be warm, no worries. I get cold easily too. Just bring a light jacket/sweatshirt and you should be just fine. Other than that - just casual beach wear, maybe a nice pair of shorts or capris - Same thing you would pack if you were going to the Caribbean basically.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I cruised mid-March around Hawaii a while back and also again early February last year.  Each island is completely different, and the adventures you'll have might have different temperatures.  Also if you do a helicopter ride (I highly recommend you do), dress in all black to avoid glare in the photos.  It rains somewhere just about every day, so I kept a lightweight waterproof Columbia rain jacket in my backpack for our excursions and it came in handy more than once.  Bring light layers and you'll be fine.  You won't need cold weather gear though.  Have a fantastic time!  

Edited by wannavacay
misplaced modifier :)
  • Like 1