Chef's Table Question

Carl Nival

If a ship is docked in a port until 8 p.m., is it unlikely that the Chef's Table will be done on that day?  There's a shore excursion I like that has an end time at 6:30 p.m., and from what the Steakhouse manager told me, the Chef's Table is usually at 6:15 p.m.  I don't want to miss the Chef's Table.  It's one of the items on my cruise bucket list.  Thank you in advance.

I would not think so. It may be that it is popular enough to have on more than night. This has been our experience. It was done on second sea day and then again on a port day but we had already left the port. You can call and give them your information. We have love it on both the Dream and Triumph. Have a great Cruise! Oh and don't eat a late or heavy lunch!

On 3/1/2019 at 2:08 PM, SandiLynn said:

I would not think so. It may be that it is popular enough to have on more than night. This has been our experience. It was done on second sea day and then again on a port day but we had already left the port. You can call and give them your information. We have love it on both the Dream and Triumph. Have a great Cruise! Oh and don't eat a late or heavy lunch!

Thank you, SandiLynn!  I was supposed to do the Chef's Table on a cruise with Royal, but my mom had such a bad experience at their version of the steakhouse that she cancelled the Chef's Table.  I was really bummed out about it because I heard it was excellent.

19 hours ago, Carl Nival said:

Thank you, SandiLynn!  I was supposed to do the Chef's Table on a cruise with Royal, but my mom had such a bad experience at their version of the steakhouse that she cancelled the Chef's Table.  I was really bummed out about it because I heard it was excellent.

Oh no, that's not good that happened. Indeed that Chefs table with Royal is amazing. The one with Carnival that I went on a few years back was a fun experience too.

On 3/2/2019 at 8:40 PM, Carl Nival said:

On 3/3/2019 at 12:41 PM, coevan said:

What do the Chef's Table and the Steakhouse have anything to do with each other? 

I can possibly see OP's mom's point of view.  If I was disappointed in an extra charge meal that I presumably figured would be better than the MDR, I might consider cancelling a significantly more expensive meal if I had no faith in the restaurant staff to deliver an exceptional meal.

What they have to do with each other is they both have extra costs and are supposed to be excellent.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

I can possibly see OP's mom's point of view.  If I was disappointed in an extra charge meal that I presumably figured would be better than the MDR, I might consider cancelling a significantly more expensive meal if I had no faith in the restaurant staff to deliver an exceptional meal.

What they have to do with each other is they both have extra costs and are supposed to be excellent.

Never have experienced the chefs table , but to be honest I ask those that attend it how was it each and every cruise.

I've received nothing but praise from people and it's gotten my curiosity up enough to give it a try on our next cruise. 

Perhaps on a Vista or Dream class ship.

Edited by BoDidly

34 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

I'm glad you spoke on behalf of the OP, but I did not read it the way you did. It's like saying you had bad service at an Italian restaurant, so you'll not eat a Morton's because of the service at an Italian restaurant, makes no sense.

Edited by coevan

6 minutes ago, coevan said:

I'm glad you spoke on behalf of the OP, but I did not read it the way you did. It's like saying you had bad service at an Italian restaurant, so you'll not eat a Morton's because of the service at an Italian restaurant, makes no sense.

What you are saying (Italian vs Morton's) would work if they are owned by the same company and employ the same head chef or head manager.  Some might think Chef's Table means the food is prepared by the ship's chef.  They might also think the chef is responsible for all the food on the ship.

To me a better analogy would be saying you normally drive a base model Chevy, but decide to try a higher model Buick and are very disappointed.  Now you won't drive a fully loaded Cadillac because you can't see paying extra for anything made by GM.

I'm not saying the logic is sound or that is how a ship works, but that it could be someone's perception.  I generally have not been wowed by any steak houses but do think Chef's Table would be a different experience.  Since I have been let down/disappointed by the hype, I am hesitant to spend the money for a Chef's Table and would be hard pressed to spend more money on dining services on the same cruise that I already had very disappointing dining service.  I would be willing to consider it on a future cruise though.

I can not say anything for Royal Caribbean Chefs Table, I have not done it. I have done three on CAL. Two on the Dream and one on Triumph. I am very picky eater. I have texture issues. I loved the Chefs Table. All menus were the same, I have been looking to see if it has changed. We are booked for Glory in July.  If I could convince our friends to book  it we will be going again.

• Like 1

On the first Chefs Table we were on the Dream and had not gone on an excursion that was canceled. We decided to do Chefs Table with our credit. We LOVED it!!! At that time it was$75 pp which was what the excursion costed us. We booked again on Triumph and love it. We booked again on Dream for $90pp,  we loved the experience but it was the same menu and had gone up in price.  We will book on different ship when menu changes.

• Like 2

On 3/3/2019 at 9:41 AM, coevan said:

What do the Chef's Table and the Steakhouse have anything to do with each other? 

The steakhouse manager is responsible for the reservations for both the steakhouse and the chef's table.  

Edited by Erik101
spacing

On 3/4/2019 at 5:33 PM, coevan said:

Here's the full story.  We went to the Chop's Grille on a Royal Caribbean ship on the same night there was a large group there.  There were about 40 people at one table.  I believe a couple was having a destination wedding.  A destination wedding.  Anyway, the Chop's galley was slammed, and my mom's steak had the taste and consistently shoe leather.  She was super upset about it.  She made the false equivalency that all premium dining aboard the ship was bad.  She demanded that we go straight to the Guest Services desk and cancel the Chef's Table.  I was disappointed.  

Ironically, we ended up eating twice at Giovanni's Table (their Italian restaurant) and loved it both times.  I'm sure the Chef's Table would have been delicious.

Edited by Carl Nival
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Carl Nival said:

Here's the full story.  We went to the Chop's Grille on a Royal Caribbean ship on the same night there was a large group there.  There were about 40 people at one table.  I believe a couple was having a destination wedding.  A destination wedding.  Anyway, the Chop's galley was slammed, and my mom's steak had the taste and consistently shoe leather.  She was super upset about it.  She made the false equivalency that all premium dining aboard the ship was bad.  She demanded that we go straight to the Guest Services desk and cancel the Chef's Table.  I was disappointed.  

Ironically, we ended up eating twice at Giovanni's Table (their Italian restaurant) and loved it both times.  I'm sure the Chef's Table would have been delicious.

Oh indeed the chefs table on Royal Caribbean is outstanding. As was my experience with chefs table with Carnival. 🙂

On 3/6/2019 at 6:57 PM, Carl Nival said:

I would have been disappointed to if my mom told me to cancel my chef’s table experience.  Then again, my mom knows she doesn’t have any say so on what I want to do on my vacation. 

17 hours ago, Erik101 said:

I would have been disappointed to if my mom told me to cancel my chef’s table experience.  Then again, my mom knows she doesn’t have any say so on what I want to do on my vacation. 

She paid for the cruise, so I didn't have any choice.

16 hours ago, cruisingal1981 said:

I have not been to the steakhouse yet. However, I have done the chef table on Carnival Liberty 2017. It was amazing!!!! Thinking about doing it again on the Horizon. If the menu changes I will. Hope you get a chance again. You will love it too.

I've been to the Chef's Table on the Vista and I'm signed up for the table on the Horizon.  Since the Horizon is the sister ship, I'm expecting it to be similar.  We had a great time on the Vista.  The only thing I didn't like was at the start of the event when they took us to the kitchen to do a demonstration.  The floor was dirty and looked like a lot of grease was permanently stained.  I'm neurotic when it comes to cleanliness but overall, I'm looking forward to the Horizon experience.  

On 3/8/2019 at 1:34 AM, Erik101 said:

I love my parents, but they act strange when we're all on a cruise together.  My mom is a food snob, and my dad is a wine snob.  I prefer going on a cruise with just my spouse.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Carl Nival said:

Thank you to everyone who replied to this thread.  Here is the Chef's Table menu for June 20, 2019 aboard the Carnival Freedom.  It was a very special evening.

Chef's Table.jpg

This is the menu we had on the Sunshine in February and the Paradise in May.  The Chef on the Paradise stated that the menu was changing to a different on in July sometime.  So apparently the above is the "older" menu and there is a "new" menu being rolled out in stages.