Walking Port Everglades Terminal 2 to Total Wine

VaCruzers

Hi everyone,

I know that's its possible to rather easily make this walk, but have usually read about coming out to 17th street and walking down 17th to the shopping enter. Looking at the map, it looks like one could walk straight out from the terminal, cross Eisenhower and walk down 20th to access from an alley beside Total Wine. Is this possible? Maybe there are gates/restrictions that are not readily visible on the map. Anyone have first hand experience? Just looking for the most expeditious route in case we are short on time. Thank you!

image.thumb.png.ee3b1446cc16bad6c1e98f36278d0205.png 

Why not take a Lyft or Uber or even a taxi?  Are you going to be hauling suitcases or carry-ons with you?  How much wine are you buying?  You're going to have to haul wine back to the ship in the Florida heat and humidity.

Roz

1 hour ago, Roz said:

Why not take a Lyft or Uber or even a taxi?  Are you going to be hauling suitcases or carry-ons with you?  How much wine are you buying?  You're going to have to haul wine back to the ship in the Florida heat and humidity.

Roz

Thank you for responding although you weren't able to answer my question. To address your questions, we prefer walking over Lyft, Uber, or taxi because it's a healthy option. Our luggage will be in our cabin, so will not be hauling anything with us. I plan to buy two bottles, the permitted amount to bring onboard, which I think my husband and I can easily haul back to the ship in the Florida heat and humidity.

The only reason I mentioned Uber or Lyft is you said in your original post that you may be short on time.  I wasn't questioning your fitness level.  Even though I consider myself to be in fairly good shape, I find I have to slow down a bit when the heat and humidity are on the oppressive side.

Sorry I wasn't able to answer your question and if I offended you in any way, I apologize.

Roz

Last time I did this, a little over a year ago, we were Ubering from Total to pier 2.  I looked across Eisenhower exactly where you suggested and it was fenced with a closed gate.  I originally had the same idea as you but suspect the port has intentionally blocked that route off.

1 hour ago, wheezedr said:

Last time I did this, a little over a year ago, we were Ubering from Total to pier 2.  I looked across Eisenhower exactly where you suggested and it was fenced with a closed gate.  I originally had the same idea as you but suspect the port has intentionally blocked that route off.

Even looking at street view, it's not possible to tell whether it's fenced, but that was my suspicion. Thank you for confirming. I'll plan accordingly.

The tank farm is restricted access and for good reason.  Walking the 2 mile round trip this time of year is lovely as long as you don't get stuck in a quick rainstorm.  Walking it in the dead of summer is miserable.  The temperatures, the heat radiating off the pavements and parking lots, and the humidity can sap anyone's strength.

• Like 1

20th is not a through street. The only entrance/exit to the port near Total Wine is Eisenhower.

If you leave the port, do be sure to take your ID and boarding documents with you as you may need them to renter the port.

It's not a bad walk if the weather is nice. You can shave a tenth of a mile off the walk by cutting in behind the building out front that houses Carlos & Pepis Mexican Restaurant. The only consideration is that you have to cross the 17th Street Causeway bridge which is a "hill" in Florida terms. It's about 1.8 - 2.0 miles, depending on your route. The bridge may go up on the half hour, which can add 12 minutes or so to your trip - or twice that if you catch it in both directions.

TIPS: Sign up for the Total Wine email list. They have coupons almost every week which typically save you 10-20% on certain wines.  If you want to have your order ready when you arrive, you can order online at totalwine.com and pick up your order at the desk just inside the door. However, the Total Wine is like a candy store for adults, so you may want to browse and cool off from the walk.

@RocketMan275 - You can always notify someone of a post by typing the @ sign and their user ID. Then, you click on the name that appears in the drop down. This causes a notification to appear for the person.

15 minutes ago, POA1 said:

The only consideration is that you have to cross the 17th Street Causeway bridge which is a "hill" in Florida terms.

Port Everglades and Total Wine are both on the west side of the intracoastal so the bridge isn't a factor walking from the Port Everglades terminals.

8 hours ago, FOPMan said:

If you leave the port, do be sure to take your ID and boarding documents with you as you may need them to renter the port.

Terminals 2 and 4 are before the security booth on Eisenhower Blvd but OP will definitely need their cruise card and, if they are on a back to back), their in transit card.

Just now, capriccio said:

Terminals 2 and 4 are before the security booth on Eisenhower Blvd but OP will definitely need their cruise card and, if they are on a back to back), their in transit card.

I'd still take my photo ID. They can, and do sometimes stop people walking into the port. If you place an online order with Total Wine, you'll need an ID to pick it up.

6 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Port Everglades and Total Wine are both on the west side of the intracoastal so the bridge isn't a factor walking from the Port Everglades terminals.

Sorry. My bad. We live on the other side of the bridge and I reflexively associate the bridge with going to Total Wine. :classic_huh:

Just now, POA1 said:

I'd still take my photo ID. They can, and do sometimes stop people walking into the port. If you place an online order with Total Wine, you'll need an ID to pick it up.

I agree that an ID is necessary.  I should have clarified that boarding passes are not (assuming OP is in transit or has already checked in) but cruise and in transit cards are. 

55 minutes ago, POA1 said:

@RocketMan275 - You can always notify someone of a post by typing the @ sign and their user ID. Then, you click on the name that appears in the drop down. This causes a notification to appear for the person.

55 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Thanks.  Thought this thread needed some local knowledge.

Edited by RocketMan275

Realize that for a B2B, you can take your 2 allotted bottles for each half of the trip. It will be collected on boarding the first cruise and returned to you for your second.

Question:  Am I allowed to bring alcohol onboard a Royal Caribbean cruise ship?

Answer:  Guests are not allowed to bring beer or hard liquor onboard for consumption or any other use.

Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned. Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under the legal drinking age, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them. Please Note: All guests must comply with TSA guidelines for transporting liquids.

On boarding day, guests may bring onboard two (2) 750 ml bottles of personal wine and champagne per stateroom in their carry-on luggage. If more than two bottles of wine and champagne are brought onboard, including any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports-of-call or in our onboard shops, they will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on your last day onboard.

Guests on consecutive cruises may bring two (2) 750 ml bottles of personal wine and champagne per voyage, per stateroom. Additional bottles will be stored by the ship and two bottles at a time will be delivered to the stateroom on the first day of each new voyage. Guests bringing more than two bottles at the start of the first sailing should have documentation for any consecutive sailings available to share with security on boarding day.

Cbear1973 - Given that the OP asked about walking from terminal 2, I think he/she is on Princess.  If this is a B2B on Princess you can bring on your 2 allotted bottles of wine per person on the first leg with no need to turn in one of them.  Just show the staff at the wine desk your boarding passes for both legs of the B2B.  We've done this multiple times at Port Everglades.

Edited by capriccio