Koningsdam

Moerin78

We just returned from 11 days on the K-dam, we enjoyed just about everything about the ship.  The only negative things were if you wanted to see the 8:00 show you need to show up before 7:30.   The position of the toilets in our veranda room, very awkward.   And finally the vibrations of the ship especially when traveling 15knots and above.  We were midship, cabin 5089, and the seas were only 1-3 feet and the vibration made it difficult to sleep comfortably.  

Out of curiosity, what time is the later show and approximately how fast does it fill out? In addition, approximately what time would the later show end?

The fact that the shows fill up so quickly is a concern for me, especially as we have picked a port-heavy itinerary for our cruise. After refreshing in our cabin and eating dinner, I'm not sure if we would be able to always make the early show seeing as we don't want to rush through dinner or waste our time in port. And since we have many days in port, we would want a good night's sleep before leaving early!

Edited by simplyrubies

I can’t tell you about the later show, we only tried to go to the 8:00 shows.  We also were on a port intensive cruise, the ship traveled very slowly between ports so the vibration was only an issue when we had to travel a long distance.  

We were on the Koningsdam last Oct. (2018) and never noticed any vibration problem.  We were in 4033, the most forward we have ever been in and it the ride was without a problem of motion for us.  It was a TA cruise and the seas were fairly calm the whole cruise, at least (again) we thought so.

49 minutes ago, simplyrubies said:

Out of curiosity, what time is the later show and approximately how fast does it fill out? In addition, approximately what time would the later show end?

The fact that the shows fill up so quickly is a concern for me, especially as we have picked a port-heavy itinerary for our cruise. After refreshing in our cabin and eating dinner, I'm not sure if we would be able to always make the early show seeing as we don't want to rush through dinner or waste our time in port. And since we have many days in port, we would want a good night's sleep before leaving early!

The late shows generally start at 10pm and have seating available at showtime.

I was midship, but higher, this winter and didn't feel vibrations. But the year before on K, we were in an aft cabin, same deck, and it wasn't vibration that bothered us, it was a shimmying that went on almost the whole time we were moving. And in following seas, the stern slapped the waves and it was jarring. I love aft cabins but I would never take one on the K. 

OP, if you  look at the deck plans, was there a large blank area near your cabin? If you were near where the engine (generator) exhaust goes up, you might have been getting resonance vibrations. It happens on QM2. There's a run of about 10 cabins midship on lower decks where the vibrations are fierce. 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

1 hour ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Thanks for your report.

Sorry about the vibrations -- doesn't sound good.

Don't like that you have to arrive so early for the shows just to get a decent seat.

On my cruise, a half hour wasn't early enough. Two or three times, there were no seats a half hour before the show. There were staff at the doors telling people to come back for the 10:00. Signs that said the room was full were permanently taped to the doors! But what can you expect with only 600 seats for a ship that size?

I saw only two shows, and for them I got there almost an hour early because I really wanted to see them.

Not sure about the problems with vibrations... Thirty or forty yrs. ago, it would have cost you a full roll of quarters to keep the bed going like that! You really should have taken advantage & enjoyed the vibrations!  Looking forward to booking same cabin for this fall's cruise!  Just remember, when life gives you quarters, enjoy!

1 hour ago, simplyrubies said:

sometimes you just can't do EVERYTHING -  we choose ports or entertainment 

kind of a bummer but true

8 hours ago, esimon said:

sometimes you just can't do EVERYTHING -  we choose ports or entertainment 

kind of a bummer but true

That's definitely something to keep in mind. After all, a cruise is for relaxing!

I do wish that HAL had accounted for those of us who wish to do both just so that it would at least be an option. Building more seats into the World Stage seems like the obvious first step, or at least allowing us to reserve a showtime in advance so that seats are guaranteed. Though... with the latter option, they may very well charge us for that!

In the meantime, either I'll camp out at the World Stage at least 45 mins in advance for the first seating or just go to the later one. At least there is more than one showtime available.