Edge Accessibility

vtcruising

On an unrelated thread, someone mentioned the lack of a main pool lift for the Edge. I thought I had seen a picture of one a few months ago and during a search I found this review written by a TA who requires wheelchair accessibility. Being written by a TA, it was very positive and forgiving, but I thought there might be some info here for people to use when deciding about cruising on the Edge or to plan ahead, if already booked. She reports that there is a pool lift and that guests can arrange ahead of time to have it set up.

There has been some discussion on the X board about some of the accessibility issues on the Edge, but there wasn't a comprehensive thread so I started this one so that those who have accessibility needs or travel with someone with accessibility needs and have experienced the Edge can share with others.  My DH and I are not in need of wheelchair or scooter accessibility at this time, but who knows what the future holds, so I will follow with great interest.

Here is her "review":

http://spintheglobe.net/dir/2019/01/24/wheelchair-accessible-celebrity-edge/

Here is her video. I can see that she glazed over some issues, such as she didn't go out on her infinite veranda (her accessible cabin balcony was good-sized - I was hoping to see if the wheelchair fit easily) or even try the Eden elevator (though went through Eden on the walkway) and though she seems to get around easily, the ship is empty when she does the video. She does point out some accessibility features on the Edge so it is worth watching, I think. Hopefully others will add some tips and discuss the good, the bad and the ugly so that it will be a resource for people researching accessibility on the Edge. It also would be helpful if people who have been on the Edge with accessibility needs could compare it to other Celebrity ships, if they have cruised on them.

I’m happy to learn that some chairlifts were installed. There certainly weren’t any when I was aboard.

I think the problem with the Eden elevator is insoluble at this point. Those in scooters, especially the large scooters, probably won’t be able to use it and thus won’t have access to a good part of Eden.

5 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

I’m happy to learn that some chairlifts were installed. There certainly weren’t any when I was aboard.

I think the problem with the Eden elevator is insoluble at this point. Those in scooters, especially the large scooters, probably won’t be able to use it and thus won’t have access to a good part of Eden.

It does sound like that Eden elevator is pretty awkward for the large scooter. 😞

We are just back from 2 weeks on the Edge.  Loved every moment of it, so much so that we booked again for next year.  Now about scooters and the accessible elevators...….

It is a good thing my husband has a very good sense of humor!   We were scheduled for dinner at Eden, so the day before I suggested that HE try the accessible elevator down to the Eden restaurant with his scooter.  If it worked for him, then it should work for me, but I NEVER go first!  Well, he got wedged in the elevator and the door would not open or shut and he could not get out.  It really wasn't funny but we both could not stop laughing...…… So we both tried to wiggle the scooter around in the elevator and finally managed to get it turned so that he could get out.   Needless to say for dinner we used our canes and stood up in the elevator to get to dinner!

A small lightweight scooter will fit in the accessible elevators, but the heavy duty ones will not.  I have reported this issue in the hopes that future ships will increase the size of the accessible elevators to accommodate the heavy duty scooters.

54 minutes ago, driftychick said:

We are just back from 2 weeks on the Edge.  Loved every moment of it, so much so that we booked again for next year.  Now about scooters and the accessible elevators...….

It is a good thing my husband has a very good sense of humor!   We were scheduled for dinner at Eden, so the day before I suggested that HE try the accessible elevator down to the Eden restaurant with his scooter.  If it worked for him, then it should work for me, but I NEVER go first!  Well, he got wedged in the elevator and the door would not open or shut and he could not get out.  It really wasn't funny but we both could not stop laughing...…… So we both tried to wiggle the scooter around in the elevator and finally managed to get it turned so that he could get out.   Needless to say for dinner we used our canes and stood up in the elevator to get to dinner!

A small lightweight scooter will fit in the accessible elevators, but the heavy duty ones will not.  I have reported this issue in the hopes that future ships will increase the size of the accessible elevators to accommodate the heavy duty scooters.

Thanks for making that clear. It will be so helpful for future Edge cruisers with scooters. What size was your scooter? Did you have any other accessibility issues on the Edge?  Thanks!

You two sound like a class act! I would have been a mess (claustrophobia). 🙂

Also, they should put a sign up outside the elevator that has the dimensions that do fit!!

Edited by vtcruising

It is the blue colored Pride heavy duty model rented from Special Needs at Sea.

When you look at the elevator it looks like it will fit but be a tight squeeze.  I wish I would have taken a photo when he was stuck but was just concerned with getting him out.

404C8554-919C-46B8-9FA9-9652F568FC86.jpeg

We were actually able to access all of Eden except the restaurant area.  As I said we used our canes and the elevator without the scooters.  Hubby can walk short distances but not everyone is able to.

i don’t know if it has been mentioned but there is also an elevator in th theater on the starboard side that will take you to the stage floor to the handicapped seating.

1 minute ago, driftychick said:

We were actually able to access all of Eden except the restaurant area.  As I said we used our canes and the elevator without the scooters.  Hubby can walk short distances but not everyone is able to.

i don’t know if it has been mentioned but there is also an elevator in th theater on the starboard side that will take you to the stage floor to the handicapped seating.

I saw that in the review above - I know someone had said that they didn't have any way to get to those tables/chairs up front when I mentioned that they were my favorite seats (and I was on the starboard side). I was happy to hear that there was an elevator there for people to use, if they wanted to sit up front. 🙂

Thanks for letting people know, in case they didn't read the article.

I have just confirmed that there is no way to access ANY POOLS ON EDGE unless you use either a ladder or a HC chair. Many able bodies use the pools on both the M and S class ships by walking in through the stairs, just for the sake of balance, not to mention arm strength. I myself have a fixed knee, and there is no way I would want to use the HC chair to enter the pool. 

celebrity just lost a suite customer for lack of accessibility on the Edge.

7 hours ago, Knolmom said:

I have just confirmed that there is no way to access ANY POOLS ON EDGE unless you use either a ladder or a HC chair. Many able bodies use the pools on both the M and S class ships by walking in through the stairs, just for the sake of balance, not to mention arm strength. I myself have a fixed knee, and there is no way I would want to use the HC chair to enter the pool. 

celebrity just lost a suite customer for lack of accessibility on the Edge.

Would this type of ladder with the wide, flat rung work? This is in the main pool.

image.png.1a8c924a1cae66a795406532bc577bd1.png

Edited by vtcruising

Thanks for posting, VT. 

Interesting that the accessible category infinite veranda’s french doors glide open and closed apparently quite easily as sliding doors, rather than as the bi-fold scenario found everywhere else on board -  bifolds which protrude into the already-limited veranda space itself. It was so cumbersome to have to move the furniture just to operate those pretty french doors, that we only did it once. Sliding french doors would have been much easier for all passengers.

I would have liked the video to show a solo wheelchair passenger try to use the assorted automatic (and non-) doors that lead to the limited public exterior deck spaces, such as those on Deck 5. Many I saw appeared to be not easily accessible without a helper to push a button and/or press a bar & push one set open.

14 hours ago, driftychick said:

How did the scooters do in the forest of shiny trees in the entranceway to EDEN area?  We saw some scooters bumping the sculptures , some going way too quickly through and some doing okay...

.I have graduated lens eyeglasses and thought it was not that easy to see in there,...lots of glare,.  It would be better suited  for a less travelled area on the ship rather than a main hallway to BLU, EDEN and Tiffany...

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

If you have a bad shoulder and have endured surgery to repair it, lifting oneself out of the water via a ladder is a huge difficulty.  For some, it’s impossible.

Yes I’ve experienced doing that with shoulder injury. Not a good thing.

Do you know about that flat wide stair with a knee injury - do you think it is doable (as someone with a recent knee injury)?

45 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Thanks for posting, VT. 

Interesting that the accessible category infinite veranda’s french doors glide open and closed apparently quite easily as sliding doors, rather than as the bi-fold scenario found everywhere else on board -  bifolds which protrude into the already-limited veranda space itself. It was so cumbersome to have to move the furniture just to operate those pretty french doors, that we only did it once. Sliding french doors would have been much easier for all passengers.

I would have liked the video to show a solo wheelchair passenger try to use the assorted automatic (and non-) doors that lead to the limited public exterior deck spaces, such as those on Deck 5. Many I saw appeared to be not easily accessible without a helper to push a button and/or press a bar & push one set open.

Interesting thoughts. I hope others will give some details on things like that. TA in the video made it look so easy to get around, but it seemed unrealistic.

As I wrote in another thread about edge accessibility, I am so disappointed that Celebrity made such poor choices when it comes to mobility and accessibility issues. They could have easily installed graduated entry into the pools. They could have put in handicap accessibility elevators that would accommodate larger scooters. They didn’t need to have so many areas only available by those who can go up and down steps.  They didn’t need to have doors which require two people to open. All of these were choices, and they made poor decisions, in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t think anyone who uses a cane will be accessing any of the pools on the Edge, period. This is heartbreaking for someone who depends on therapeutic walking in the water to relieve stress on their body after excursions requiring a lot of walking!

Rather than forgoing use of the pool because of the ladders, you should use the chair lift.   The chair lift (when it is working) is for use by anyone who can't enter the pool via the entry method/s provided.  People who can't walk have to use the chair lift if they want to use the pool because even if there are graduated entry/sloped entry pools, a water wheel chair is rarely provided (we have only seen it provided at one hotel out of numerous hotels who offer the sloped entry pool and none of the cruise ships with sloped entry pools we have been on offer it).