Retirement of Old Princesses Perhaps??

News from the Princess forum might get Australia some new/er ships - what do you think? (And retire those two lovely old ladies off into the the Sea to get more Sun 😉)

Princess announced two new 175,000 GRT NextGen ships today. These will be built at the Fincantieri Monfalcone shipyard, and delivery will start in 2023. These will have an approx capacity of 4,300 guests at dual occupancy, and be LNG fuel.”

It has started a great old conversation over the way. 

18 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Might be time to jump lines, really not keen on mega ships.

I can't see these new ships coming here any more than the Oasis class arriving. There is almost nowhere for them to go.

Nearly every port in the South Pacific would be a tender port. The idea of getting 4,000 passengers off by tender in Lifou is worse than a nightmare.

I think they are destined for one week cruises in the Caribbean and the Med.

We'll be getting the Royal and the various Grand classes.

2 hours ago, Porky55 said:

News from the Princess forum might get Australia some new/er ships - what do you think? (And retire those two lovely old ladies off into the the Sea to get more Sun 😉)

Princess announced two new 175,000 GRT NextGen ships today. These will be built at the Fincantieri Monfalcone shipyard, and delivery will start in 2023. These will have an approx capacity of 4,300 guests at dual occupancy, and be LNG fuel.”

Yes, constantly building the larger ships, I don't mind too much for the cruise experience but the ports have to keep up as well.

1 hour ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Radiance coming to Brisbane next year has made me think hard about Princess.

It will depend on the itineraries and the dollars.

I just jumped ship for a January cruise from Solstice to Radiance. So after I get back I’ll tell you my thoughts, and as it’s only a few weeks after Majestic I’ll have a pretty good comparison.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I just jumped ship for a January cruise from Solstice to Radiance. So after I get back I’ll tell you my thoughts, and as it’s only a few weeks after Majestic I’ll have a pretty good comparison.

I know a lot of people who have the Radiance as their Favourite ship.

3 hours ago, Porky55 said:

They aren't waiting for them as the new Royal class ships are coming they're already selling them. For example

When they got Majestic in 2017 they sold Dawn. With the introduction of sky in 2019 they getting rid of Golden in 2020 and with the New Enchanted in 2020 they're getting rid of star in 2021. Anyhow Australia if our market doesn't take of that much we might see Sea and Sun being sold and being Replaced by Island and Coral. That being said our Summer Market is ever growing and thus we may see a few more grand class ships and maybe 1 more Royal Class ship in the next decade.

1 minute ago, DDG 41 said:

They aren't waiting for them as the new Royal class ships are coming they're already selling them. For example

When they got Majestic in 2017 they sold Dawn. With the introduction of sky in 2019 they getting rid of Golden in 2020 and with the New Enchanted in 2020 they're getting rid of star in 2021. Anyhow Australia if our market doesn't take of that much we might see Sea and Sun being sold and being Replaced by Island and Coral. That being said our Summer Market is ever growing and thus we may see a few more grand class ships and maybe 1 more Royal Class ship in the next decade.

Lets hope for some newer ships as well.

• Thanks 1

Personally I'm not a fan of the Royal class ships and will definitely be looking at other lines for the 20/21 season since Sydney is getting both Majestic and Regal. Although we have booked the Singapore to Sydney sector of the Regal repositioning cruise, which is more for the sea days than ports but that will probably be our last cruise on a Royal class ship though. However I was impressed with the efficient tendering on both Royal and Majestic when we cruised on them.

It's interesting that Celebrity seems to be staying with ships under 3000 passengers - the new Edge class isn't much bigger than the Solstice class ships. Princess ships are just getting bigger and bigger. Not happy, Jan!

42 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I find X a little too pricey for their cruises here compared with the rest of the market, while internationally they are more competitive.

They seem a little more pricey, we just swapped 11 days on Solstice for 11 on Radiance, both in January, similar locations (in fact Radiance was slightly more mid ship) saved over $1000(the change was actually about LSL savings but still a tidy sum).

22 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Yeah I’ve been looking at a cruise on Maasdam, not sure we can fit it in though.

Hello Mr Gut

I will be on board Maasdam for her Dec 3rd -- Dec 23 Trip   its a very nice cruise ..we could raise havoc on board

... have 2 x ocean views one for us and  one for the MIL

I will be looking for nice "Hidey Holes" to escape from the Ladies 

Regards

John 

22 minutes ago, VK3DQ said:

Hello Mr Gut

I will be on board Maasdam for her Dec 3rd -- Dec 23 Trip   its a very nice cruise ..we could raise havoc on board

... have 2 x ocean views one for us and  one for the MIL

I will be looking for nice "Hidey Holes" to escape from the Ladies 

Regards

John 

Hmm it was the one after yours I was looking at Mrs Gut Says N.O.  reckons I’ve got enough booked for now

6 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Hmm it was the one after yours I was looking at Mrs Gut Says N.O.  reckons I’ve got enough booked for now

you can never have enough booked  🙂

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

I find X a little too pricey for their cruises here compared with the rest of the market, while internationally they are more competitive.

Our cuurent Solstice cruise with grats and drinks package included is cheaper per diem than the Majestic Princess cruise we did last year by the time we added drinks to that fare. Similar cabins on both.

I haven't looked at new Solstice fares as they have shortened the Auckland to Sydney itineraries so we'll have to look elsewhere for our 2021 friends and family catch-up trip. We're currently looking at Norwegian Jewel which has a suitable itinerary. 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ