Southampton Excursion

cindy1957

1 minute ago, cindy1957 said:

Has anyone been on an excursion in Southampton on a NY to NY round trip?

Yes. We did the Cunard shore excursion to Winchester during turnaround day in Southampton on a round trip crossing from New York a couple years ago.

The Winchester excursion was nice - but short [we were back onboard in time for lunch]

For this year, we have two Southampton visits [plus Hamburg & LeHavre] so we are thinking about doing a longer excursion one of those days. Possibly the Windsor Castle excursion. I don't expect to see all the available excursions until near or slightly after our final payment date [early June].

It is likely that the turnaround day excursions are only planned once they know how many folks will be doing the round trip.

Here is a web site that shows possible excursions in Southampton

https://www.cunard.com/en-us/ports/southampton-england-uk

Hit the red button that says "See all featured excursions" This is a list you can consider. Keep in mind that all of these may or may not be available on your Southampton date. 

It is an interesting list. Every time I have been there they have offered at minimum Windsor Castle, Stonehenge. Winchester, Beaulieu. Two that I would have enjoyed are Bath and the New Forest, but neither of those were offered on my last visit, so I did a Walking Tour of Southampton, from the perspective of the Titanic as it sailed from Southampton and many of the crew were locals. We visited several memorials, walked the old city and ended up a the City Sea Museum. There was a Cunard Shuttle to take me and my tired feet back to the ship. I am hoping for the New Forest in September as I gave up on the Bath excursion and went out from London on a day trip last fall when I was over. 

A word of warning as with all Cunard Sites, there are lots of problems in this one especially in the details which takes you to a message "There appears to be a problem.The page that you are looking for cannot be found."

Edited by Bigmike911

On 3/30/2019 at 9:47 PM, Bigmike911 said:

It is an interesting list. Every time I have been there they have offered at minimum Windsor Castle, Stonehenge. Winchester, Beaulieu. Two that I would have enjoyed are Bath and the New Forest, but neither of those were offered on my last visit, so I did a Walking Tour of Southampton, from the perspective of the Titanic as it sailed from Southampton and many of the crew were locals.

If you want to go to the New Forest, then Beaulieu is your trip. It is on the SE perimeter of the forest and is absolutely delightful. It has a very famous motor museum there, and some very traditional high class pubs and hotels in the village. do have a look on the websites. This would be a comfortable journey from Southampton  cruise port and in my opinion Beaulieu is far preferable to Stonehenge, and if you like the countryside, then choose this rather than Winchester.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LadyL1 said:

If you want to go to the New Forest, then Beaulieu is your trip. It is on the SE perimeter of the forest and is absolutely delightful. It has a very famous motor museum there, and some very traditional high class pubs and hotels in the village. do have a look on the websites. This would be a comfortable journey from Southampton  cruise port and in my opinion Beaulieu is far preferable to Stonehenge, and if you like the countryside, then choose this rather than Winchester.

Thank you I have visited Beaulieu and the Auto Museum, It was pleasant. I hope they have the New Forest tour, because I have done all of the other places. Some more than once. The New Forest tour is about four hours which is about as long as I want to be on a bus. 

38 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

Thank you I have visited Beaulieu and the Auto Museum, It was pleasant. I hope they have the New Forest tour, because I have done all of the other places. Some more than once. The New Forest tour is about four hours which is about as long as I want to be on a bus. 

If there isn't a tour and you are an energetic type, you might like to consider this. Take a train to Brockenhurst: there are at least three an hour and it takes about 20 minutes. At Brockenhurst Station you can hire a bike for a couple of hours. Once you are out of the village, you can see the more rural parts of the Forest, away from the roads. I can't ride a bike so have never done this, but it is a very popular way of seeing the area.

• Like 1

If you’re interested, grab a Red Funnel ferry to the Ile of Wight and take s short bus ride to Osborne House. You can buy an inclusive ticket at the ferry ticket office. There was a nice pub outside of the main gate where we had a very nice lunch; or you can go directly back to the ship and have a late lunch there. 

4 hours ago, exlondoner said:

If there isn't a tour and you are an energetic type, you might like to consider this. Take a train to Brockenhurst: there are at least three an hour and it takes about 20 minutes. At Brockenhurst Station you can hire a bike for a couple of hours. Once you are out of the village, you can see the more rural parts of the Forest, away from the roads. I can't ride a bike so have never done this, but it is a very popular way of seeing the area.

Thanks for the suggestions, but at 75, I don't have the energy I did at 74. In any event, there are other possibilities that may pop up as I get closer to my sailing date. 

5 hours ago, canoncruiser said:

If you’re interested, grab a Red Funnel ferry to the Ile of Wight and take s short bus ride to Osborne House. You can buy an inclusive ticket at the ferry ticket office. There was a nice pub outside of the main gate where we had a very nice lunch; or you can go directly back to the ship and have a late lunch there. 

That's exactly what I have been considering doing as a DIY excursion for my next day in Southampton. Thanks for the confirmation that this is workable.

The other DIY excursion for the New Forest that I am looking at for our day in Southampton in July is taking the Hythe ferry to connect to the New Forest Tour bus routes discussed here. http://www.thenewforesttour.info/

They haven't released the New Forest Tour bus schedule for 2019 yet. I'm not sure how good of an option this would be to see the New Forest for someone else who is not quite so energetic any more to contemplate a biking tour. Any feedback from anyone on that option as a way to see the New Forest during a summer turnaround day in Southampton is welcome.

Edited by bluemarble

9 hours ago, bluemarble said:

That's exactly what I have been considering doing as a DIY excursion for my next day in Southampton. Thanks for the confirmation that this is workable.

The other DIY excursion for the New Forest that I am looking at for our day in Southampton in July is taking the Hythe ferry to connect to the New Forest Tour bus routes discussed here. http://www.thenewforesttour.info/

They haven't released the New Forest Tour bus schedule for 2019 yet. I'm not sure how good of an option this would be to see the New Forest for someone else who is not quite so energetic any more to contemplate a biking tour. Any feedback from anyone on that option as a way to see the New Forest during a summer turnaround day in Southampton is welcome.

Bluemarble.

Have a look at the Platinum Tour, it might be what you want and certainly covers some of the most notable places in the New Forest. There is also cruise terminal pick up.

https://www.thenewforest.co.uk/things-to-do/activities/bus-tours

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the suggestions Blue Marble and Lady L1. Looking at the website for the bus tour, this years touring ends in early September. As my Southampton Day is Sept. 26th, that is not going to work. The Platinum is an alternative, but it seems to be a 'design your own tour', rather than having an experienced guide do that for you. It is still an option. I am hoping that Cunard will offer their tour this year. 

If you stay in Southampton you can visit the Sea City Museum - celebrating Southampton's maritime heritage and also go and visit the Tudor House Museum and look at the varied life of the property - from medieval merchant cellars and years of Tudor prosperity through sub division and squalor when the money moved further out of town. Also in Southampton is Solent Sky an aviation museum - Southampton was the home of Supermarine, the Spitfire and flying boats.

I would say get the train to Salisbury and visit the Cathedral (with the famous spire) but that may be a little too adventurous.