Gym hours

CruiserBruce

6 or 8 months ago there was discussion that gym hours on the ships were now starting at 7am. Any new word on this? Amsterdam in particular? I have not seen a single mention in many months, and a search was unsuccessful. I am a dedicated 6am workout person...with Lido typically opening at 7am, this affects the start of every day!

Any current word on gym hours?

45 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

My DH certainly would not like the gym opening at 7 AM.

He likes to work out at 6 and get back to the cabin and clean up and change so that we can go to breakfast at 7:30 -- same time we eat at home.

Same here --- gym on Zuiderdam opened at 7:00 am which annoyed DH,  who likes to hit the treadmill at 6:00am.

Just curious- was there a staff member present at 7:00 onward? And when the gym opened at 6:00, was a staff member there?

On my last cruise I rarely saw any staff in the gym unless they were doing a class. And if staff are not needed, why the late opening?

We were on the NS the early part of this month.  I'm pretty sure the gym was open before 7am.  I would usually use the treadmills before the Lido was open, take a shower and then go to breakfast.  There were always a handful of others there too.  Lido opened at 7am for breakfast.     

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Thanks for the info so far. From the original info several months ago, Zuiderdam was the focus. Wonder if it was just Zuiderdam that went to 7am? Or fleetwide?

K-dam last week; Gym hours started at 0700

1 hour ago, fyree39 said:

Are there cabins beneath the gym.  If so, maybe the early morning pounding of feet on the treadmill has made passengers complain.

The Bridge is below the Gym, where you can always hear some pax who feel the need to drop their weights after a rep. Some captains get very annoyed when this continues and send security upstairs to deal with it

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

The Bridge is below the Gym, where you can always hear some pax who feel the need to drop their weights after a rep. Some captains get very annoyed when this continues and send security upstairs to deal with it

Can you come to my gym’s free weight section?😃

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

In February, the Nieuw Amsterdam's treadmills had signs advising passengers that during those periods requiring the most concentration on the bridge, typically entering or departing port, a maximum speed of 3.5 mph was permitted.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Yep, I'm fully aware it happens in land gyms; it's become the norm however, there's no one underneath you steering a ship

It’s annoying when the big bruiser next to you drops them, too. And unsafe. 

Yet staff (at our gym) says nada.

• Like 1

On our past four long cruises, the gym opened at 6 a.m., sometimes earlier, usually by

the head of the staff.

By 7 a.m. on those sailings, the gym was packed, with no free machines, annoying the

sleepyheads.

Actually, I prefer to walk the deck, but 5:30 a.m. to  7 a.m. is almost always when they hose

down the lower promenade. 

Opening the gym later would not be good, I'm afraid.