YC Drinks - is “all drinks” really “everything” ??

Winchester Ranger

Simple question hopefully, I understand that anything in the mini-bar in a YC stateroom is gratis, but when they say all drinks included at all bars on the ship surely I am mis-reading that.  Is there a dollar limit or a restriction on top-shelf liquor/cocktails/champagne etc ?

Thanks in advance.

The Connoisseurs' Selection items are the only ones not included.  You can find the menus on the Current bar menus thread.

Champagne is included, but only Nicholas Feuillatte or Mumm (depending on which of the two is stocked).

• Like 1

There was a time when you could get Remy XO on the Deluxe package - believe me when I say that I enjoyed more than one or two glasses on cruises back in the day!  Then it was removed and Janneau XO was included;  now they're both in the Connoisseur's Selection.  :classic_blush:

49 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

The Connoisseurs' Selection items are the only ones not included.  You can find the menus on the Current bar menus thread.....

This is the official position, our experience was that in YC and some other bars the lower end of the Connoisseurs Selection was sometimes provided....attitude goes a long way in these situations, as bar managers have a degree of flexibility! If you ask for something, and the answer is 'no' then ask politely if you may speak to the bar manager....it sometimes works, believe me.

If you do want the really high end drinks, then you can upgrade to Premium + at a cost per day.

Edited by hamrag
  • Like 1

G ... I had a problem at one stage just getting the included NF last year 🙄  (though the sommelier ensured I had a glass every evening as an aperitif after I questioned it).  On the up side, I also got to enjoy a red wine at dinner from the sommelier's personal stock that wasn't included.  We've received Moet & Chandon to our cabin on a number of cruises, too.  Doesn't mean everyone's going to, though.  With everything MSC, YMMV.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hamrag said:

This is the official position, our experience was that in YC and some other bars the lower end of the Connoisseurs Selection was sometimes provided....attitude goes a long way in these situations, as bar managers have a degree of flexibility! If you ask for something, and the answer is 'no' then ask politely if you may speak to the bar manager....it sometimes works, believe me.

If you do want the really high end drinks, then you can upgrade to Premium + at a cost per day.

What would the cost be to "upgrade" to Premium Plus for YC, given there's not an official/actual beverage package associated to YC? It's not like it's Premium or Easy or such is what's included with YC.. and - if you did so, would you no longer get Gelato included (as apparently it's not part of PP)?  

Thanks. 

8 hours ago, Beamafar said:

The Connoisseurs' Selection items are the only ones not included.  You can find the menus on the Current bar menus thread.

Champagne is included, but only Nicholas Feuillatte or Mumm (depending on which of the two is stocked).

Nicholas Feuillatte may be included, or not...

6 hours ago, reedprincess said:

What would the cost be to "upgrade" to Premium Plus for YC, given there's not an official/actual beverage package associated to YC? It's not like it's Premium or Easy or such is what's included with YC.. and - if you did so, would you no longer get Gelato included (as apparently it's not part of PP)?  

Thanks. 

For the purpose of upgrading from YC, the cost is whatever Premium to Premium + is.....no idea how much that is, as YC drinks included are so extensive and we certainly saw no need to do so!

My understanding is that gelato is not included, unless you booked before the November 2018 cut-off date for the new drinks packages

Edited by hamrag

I don't think gelato will be included for YC bookings - even those made before the new packages were introduced.  Because there isn't a specific drinks package included, technically there's no 'grandfathering' in;  you'll get whatever's included in YC when onboard.

The difference in price between Prem and Prem+ depends on the region you're sailing.  When Euros is the currency onboard the difference is €55-€39 = €16 pppd.  When the currency onboard is US$, the difference is $79-$62 = $17 pppd.  However, I don't know if YC guests can upgrade - this pricing structure has never existed before.

ETA   Out of curiosity, I've just emailed MSC to ask if I could upgrade to Prem+ on our YC booking for a US sailing and how much would it cost.

Edited by Beamafar

4 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Nicholas Feuillatte may be included, or not...

SC ... quite a number of people have reported here that they've had either NF or Mumm included with no problems since the change.  You were unfortunate in that the crew weren't au fait with the new situation, but you did receive champagne after speaking with the bar manager.

I, too, experienced being told that it wasn't included last April (which was long before the new packages were introduced);  it was a misunderstanding on the part of the barman who was new in YC.  I certainly wouldn't insinuate that it may or may not be included based on my experience.  As I've said, no-one else is being refused champagne as YC guests.  I also had no problems getting champagne with the Deluxe package on Armonia in January.

44 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

The difference in price between Prem and Prem+ depends on the region you're sailing.  When Euros is the currency onboard the difference is €55-€39 = €16 pppd.  When the currency onboard is US$, the difference is $79-$62 = $17 pppd.  However, I don't know if YC guests can upgrade - this pricing structure has never existed before.

ETA   Out of curiosity, I've just emailed MSC to ask if I could upgrade to Prem+ on our YC booking for a US sailing and how much would it cost.

I upgraded from YC to Premium +. However when I first inquired by email, they sent me this:

Good afternoon,

To upgrade to the premium plus package, the pricing will be $308.00 per person. Feel free to give us a call if you wish to confirm the upgrade.

Best regards,
Heather De La Cruz

Cruise Consultant 

MSC Cruises (USA) Inc.
6750 N. Andrews Avenue, Suite 100
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309

E-mail: MSCExistingReservations@msccruisesusa.com
Phone: 1.800.666.9333

Next, I decided to call because I only wanted to pay the difference between Premium and Premium +, $17/pp per day. The person I spoke with was very accommodating and agreed that I could upgrade my drink package for $17/pp per day. Here's my receipt.

Guest(s): 

Item(s) charged in USD

Amount Due

0.00 0.00

CAB − Cabin Fares (per PASSENGER) PCH − Gov't Fees & Taxes

INCL − EXPYC−YACHT CLUB: Exclusivity & Luxury − 04/13/19

699UPPPP−UPGRADE FROM PREMIUM TO PREMIUM PLUS PACKAGE − 04/13/19

Edited by jeepfan2006

Thank you - that's very interesting ... and good to know.  It confirms that MSC regard the Premium package as being included in YC.

I now have to work out if it's worth an extra €736 for us to upgrade (we're on a 23 night cruise).

Edited by Beamafar

1 hour ago, Beamafar said:

I don't think gelato will be included for YC bookings - even those made before the new packages were introduced.  Because there isn't a specific drinks package included, technically there's no 'grandfathering' in;  you'll get whatever's included in YC when onboard.

We had free gelato last week with booking before November.  We tested the waters first before repeat.

1 minute ago, dexddd said:

We had free gelato last week with booking before November.  We tested the waters first before repeat.

Again - good to know (although I don't eat gelato, I like to hear of people's experiences around the changes).

1 hour ago, Beamafar said:

38 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Thank you - that's very interesting ... and good to know.  It confirms that MSC regard the Premium package as being included in YC.

I now have to work out if it's worth an extra €736 for us to upgrade (we're on a 23 night cruise).

They def do, and we saw evidence on our recent Preziosa YC. One of the couples we befriended did this, and they said it was a 'no brainer' as it got him JW blue label which apparently was the most expensive Connoisseur Selection drink available....he drunk it 'on tap' for the 2 weeks we were onboard!

5 minutes ago, hamrag said:

They def do, and we saw evidence on our recent Preziosa YC. One of the couples we befriended did this, and they said it was a 'no brainer' as it got him JW blue label which apparently was the most expensive Connoisseur Selection drink available....he drunk it 'on tap' for the 2 weeks we were onboard!

I've just been looking at the selection of champagnes that were in CS in the Champagne bar on Meraviglia when we were onboard in June '17.  That - plus Remy Martin XO - being available, I'm seriously considering the upgrade.  All depends on if MSC will let me - one of my bookings is with a German TA.  MSC is nothing if consistent with its inconsistencies.  🙄

The JW Blue was $25 a shot on Armonia - one glass a day would make the upgrade well worthwhile!

Edited by Beamafar

9 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

I've just been looking at the selection of champagnes that were in CS in the Champagne bar on Meraviglia when we were onboard in June '17.  That - plus Remy Martin XO - being available, I'm seriously considering the upgrade.  All depends on if MSC will let me - one of my bookings is with a German TA.  MSC is nothing if consistent with its inconsistencies.  🙄

The JW Blue was $25 a shot on Armonia - one glass a day would make the upgrade well worthwhile!

If your TA cannot deliver the upgrade, you can do so on board....perhaps that means an extra 15% for gratuity though?

1 minute ago, hamrag said:

If your TA cannot deliver the upgrade, you can do so on board....perhaps that means an extra 15% for gratuity though?

Because we booked before the introduction of the new drinks packages, I'm not sure what the cost will be.  If I have to do it onboard and they only charge the difference between Prem and Prem+, then the 15% only amounts to an extra €33.60 (a couple of glasses more of champagne LOL).  That's on the 7 night cruise.

For the 23 night cruise, we've booked it directly with MSC.  I've emailed them as well as the German TA to find out if I can upgrade and what the cost would be.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Because we booked before the introduction of the new drinks packages, I'm not sure what the cost will be.  If I have to do it onboard and they only charge the difference between Prem and Prem+, then the 15% only amounts to an extra €33.60 (a couple of glasses more of champagne LOL).  That's on the 7 night cruise.

For the 23 night cruise, we've booked it directly with MSC.  I've emailed them as well as the German TA to find out if I can upgrade and what the cost would be.

And for the 23 nighter, if the 1st answer is 'no' then we both know the secret is to try again, and again....until the answer moves to a satisfactory 'yes'! That is what our, so called, PM keeps trying in the House of Commons....I sincerely hope you are more successful in your quest!

• Haha 1

Yep ... it's undemocratic to put it to the people again - but it's not undemocratic to put it to the house for a 4th time (which it looks like what will happen!  🙄  Sincerest apologies to the OP for being off-topic).

With Jeepfan having posted the confirmation from MSC, I can use a copy of it to support my case for an upgrade.  😜

4 hours ago, Beamafar said:

SC ... quite a number of people have reported here that they've had either NF or Mumm included with no problems since the change.  You were unfortunate in that the crew weren't au fait with the new situation, but you did receive champagne after speaking with the bar manager.

I, too, experienced being told that it wasn't included last April (which was long before the new packages were introduced);  it was a misunderstanding on the part of the barman who was new in YC.  I certainly wouldn't insinuate that it may or may not be included based on my experience.  As I've said, no-one else is being refused champagne as YC guests.  I also had no problems getting champagne with the Deluxe package on Armonia in January.

Yes I got the Nicollas Feuillatte included because I was prepared and knew that it should be included (Should it? Noone really seems to know!). If I hadn't be prepared it should not have been included.

I don't know if anyone else in the YC had Champagne included but I never saw anyone else drink it.

My experience is that it may or may not be included and I think  that you understand me even if you don't agree! Since MSC don't really say what's included or not we can't just assume that Champagne is included.

I must admit that MSC does keep it quiet about NF being included in YC.  It wasn't on the bar menu on Splendida last year (you may remember me posting the menu showing it was missing from the list).

I'm considering upgrading to Prem+ on our next outing so I can enjoy some Remy Martin XO and also have a good crack at the offerings in the Champagne bar.  It seems like even better value @ €16 pppd extra than when it was €24 pppd to upgrade to Deluxe from the basic package, especially considering the better range of top-shelf items.  Then I won't have to bother wondering if NF is included or not (though if I don't upgrade, I'll certainly be checking it out).

45 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

Yes I got the Nicollas Feuillatte included because I was prepared and knew that it should be included (Should it? Noone really seems to know!). If I hadn't be prepared it should not have been included.

I don't know if anyone else in the YC had Champagne included but I never saw anyone else drink it.

My experience is that it may or may not be included and I think  that you understand me even if you don't agree! Since MSC don't really say what's included or not we can't just assume that Champagne is included.

Sverige, we have had this conversation many times before so I repeat that yes it should be and was included in both our recent (only) YC voyages! This included at the restaurant, upon request, as well as other YC and non-YC venues on the ship.

It is listed, by the glass under Champagne and Sparkling wine on the Wine Cellar menu, in most bars. Inexplicably, it is not listed on the YC drinks menu but is clearly available. The only drinks not freely available to YC guests is the Connoisseur Selection, although it is sometimes possible to order the lower end of that range with your YC card.

One thing we did find annoying was that on both gala nights they were automatically offering prosecco when seated in the restaurant, as an aperitif. We asked for NF instead, but honestly felt that should have been offered! That said, prosecco is an italian drink, and champagne french!

Edited by hamrag