Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
CharTrav

Viking Ocean - Combined Cruise Schedule

Recommended Posts

As requested -- I am starting up a separate thread in which to announce the availability of updated versions of the Combined Cruise Schedule for Viking Ocean I first developed and then posted to DropBox in October 2017.  It's a spreadsheet covering all of VO's ships and cruises in three year increments starting with the current year. I posted the schedule, to the extent known, for 2019-2021 last December and did a slight update to it late last week.   My signature block provides the link to where it's posted on DropBox along with instructions for how to download it as an individual file.  No DropBox account is required.  To start off this thread, here's the link - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8pm1betyh91wlhf/AABBcPIWuqWJQtR5JrNSFOqMa?dl=0.  If you have any questions about how to use the spreadsheet -- feel free to contact me directly using the contact info provided in the ReadMe tab.  

 

I check the VO page periodically to see what's been added or modified.  Right now the ships are not scheduled beyond March 2021 (Sky, Sea, Jupiter); April 2021 (Star), and May 2021 (Orion, Sun). As the schedules get updated and of course when cruise dates for Venus (and later ships) are published, I'll update the spreadsheet accordingly.  And announce it here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well -- whaddya know??? Decided to take a gander at the VO site to see if anything has changed since last week for 2021.  And yes indeed, the cruise schedules for all ships except Sky have been extended in 2021 through August (Jupiter, Orion, and Sea) or September (Star and Sun).  Sky is still only scheduled through March 2021. Link is the same as before . .and of course .. as I keep reminding folks .. no DropBox account required. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

Well -- whaddya know??? Decided to take a gander at the VO site to see if anything has changed since last week for 2021.  And yes indeed, the cruise schedules for all ships except Sky have been extended in 2021 through August (Jupiter, Orion, and Sea) or September (Star and Sun).  Sky is still only scheduled through March 2021. Link is the same as before . .and of course .. as I keep reminding folks .. no DropBox account required. 

 

I think it’s US centric release. I can’t see any Asia Orion for 2021 unless it’s no longer going there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Pushka said:

 

I think it’s US centric release. I can’t see any Asia Orion for 2021 unless it’s no longer going there. 

Not to worry -- remember that Orion basically does a loop based on the time of year.  They do Australia,  NZ, etc. between Nov and March, transit from there to Alaska via Asia (repositioning) from March to June, spend approx June to Aug doing Alaska, then transit back to Australia, NZ via Asia in August.  Rinse and repeat. (Filter the spreadsheet on just Orion and you'll see the pattern). Even after they have an additional ship to cover the Pacific, that'll be the pattern they'll follow. So I wouldn't be concerned that the return to Australia via Asia in August 2021 hasn't been scheduled yet.  It will be.

Edited by CharTrav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It'll be interesting where Venus will be cruising when it hits the sea in 2021. What will be its principal area(s) of operation? Could that be why Sky's schedule remains for now TBD after March 2021?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Changes pending for a few Orion cruises?? Was going thru the process of triple checking what I posted yesterday and discovered the detail pages for the following cruises -- for now -- aren't showing up (they were all OK yesterday):

  • Australia, Asia, & Alaska
  • Grand Pacific Explorer
  • Southeast Asia
  • Southeast Asia & Hong Kong
  • Southeast Asia Horizons

Still come up in the list of cruises offered (regardless of year) but when you click on  "more info", you get a "page can't be found" message generated by Viking's software, not the horrible "404 Not Found" error you get if the page really truly doesn't exist anymore.  Which is why I think the pages are in the throes of being changed.  But just thought this would be of interest.  I'll check on it again in a few days and report back on what I discover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2019 at 3:52 PM, CharTrav said:

As requested -- I am starting up a separate thread in which to announce the availability of updated versions of the Combined Cruise Schedule for Viking Ocean I first developed and then posted to DropBox in October 2017.  It's a spreadsheet covering all of VO's ships and cruises in three year increments starting with the current year. I posted the schedule, to the extent known, for 2019-2021 last December and did a slight update to it late last week.   My signature block provides the link to where it's posted on DropBox along with instructions for how to download it as an individual file.  No DropBox account is required.  To start off this thread, here's the link - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8pm1betyh91wlhf/AABBcPIWuqWJQtR5JrNSFOqMa?dl=0.  If you have any questions about how to use the spreadsheet -- feel free to contact me directly using the contact info provided in the ReadMe tab.  

 

I check the VO page periodically to see what's been added or modified.  Right now the ships are not scheduled beyond March 2021 (Sky, Sea, Jupiter); April 2021 (Star), and May 2021 (Orion, Sun). As the schedules get updated and of course when cruise dates for Venus (and later ships) are published, I'll update the spreadsheet accordingly.  And announce it here.

Thank you CharTrav!

As I said before you are the 😇

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2019 at 6:22 PM, CharTrav said:

.....for now -- aren't showing up (they were all OK yesterday):

  • Australia, Asia, & Alaska
  • Grand Pacific Explorer
  • Southeast Asia
  • Southeast Asia & Hong Kong
  • Southeast Asia Horizons

 

Just checked. All good. Dates and Prices shown just fine. Must have been a temporary glitch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2019 at 4:17 PM, CharTrav said:

It'll be interesting where Venus will be cruising when it hits the sea in 2021. What will be its principal area(s) of operation? Could that be why Sky's schedule remains for now TBD after March 2021?

 

Surely Venus will be cruising Mars......................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Hunding said:

 

Surely Venus will be cruising Mars......................

 

<collective groan>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Hunding said:

 

Surely Venus will be cruising Mars......................

How appropriate. I’m actually chair of a subcommittee with the acronym MARS. And I send email blasts addressed to “Gentle MARSians”😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good news! Starting 2021, Istanbul is back   as a port of call. Am just about finished with updating the spreadsheet. Will post later today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okey-dokey -- 'tis done and uploaded to DropBox.  The only thing that's changed since last month is that Sky's schedule for 2021 has been extended through December. The schedules for the rest remain unchanged -- Jupiter, Orion, Sea (thru August); Star, Sun (thru September).  Suspect Sun will start its next World Cruise late in the Fall after it doodles around doing a few cruises in the Baltic.  As I wrote earlier, it appears that Istanbul is now deemed safe again and Sky -- at least during 2021 -- will be plying the Barcelona to Istanbul route (and back) with major stops at Rome, Venice, and Athens, which generated a slew of new cruises.  Haven't examined the details in between to determine if the Sky's routing overlaps (duplicates) the Sea's Barcelona to Athens routing.  And, of course, we are all on tenterhooks waiting for news about Venus, which may be the rationale behind leaving the 2021 schedule open after August for the other ships. And I am still wondering where Venus will ultimately spend most of its time.  Will it ultimately join Orion so the two can complement each other?  Regardless, the link to the combined schedule is provided in my signature box.  Have fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Posted an updated version of the Consolidated Schedule to DropBox today.  The overall ship schedules have NOT changed.  Only Sky is scheduled through Dec 2021; the rest only go as far as August or September 2021. Will keep checking for change in this area.  What I did today was add some new functionality to the spreadsheet: a way to filter on (view) cruises with segments (e.g. World Cruises) or cruises that are part of a group or family, i.e., essentially shorter variations of a longer cruise.  For example, with the addition of Istanbul (and new cruises to support it), there are now 9 variations of the larger Barcelona<=>Istanbul cruise, covering all the combinations of the three major ports of call between Barcelona and Istanbul (Rome, Venice, Athens). It's possible to use the spreadsheet to visually see these groupings but I decided it might be nicer to have some other way. So I added it.  The changes made are described in more detail within the LogNotes on the ReadMe tab. Hope you find it useful. 

 

If you expand my signature, it's in the General Viking Stuff folder.  You can also open it directly with this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kapt1r9x2v7p6zf/Viking Ocean Cruises (2019 to 2021).xlsm?dl=0

Edited by CharTrav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good news for those waiting on the Venus!  Venus is now included in Viking's cruise schedule -- starting in Jan 2021 from Barcelona.  The maiden cruise is NOT shown at all but clearly the Venus will not be magically appearing in Barcelona. Reserved for the Viking Sky survivors and advertised to special others?? Don't know. Her schedule for now only goes out thru September 2021, in line with her sister ships. 

 

Also -- the latter half of World Cruise 2020-2021 has been segmented as follows (listed sequentially):

  • Tropical Treasures of the Pacific
  • Australia & Asia's Scenic Shores
  • Jewels of Australia & Asia
  • Passage to Ancient Treasures
  • Asia & India Artistry
  • In the Footsteps of Antiquity
  • European Highlights

Made a spot check of the other cruise schedules in 2021 (assuming 2019 and 2020 are fairly stable) and didn't notice any changes since last month. The updated cruise schedule sheet is the posted in same place but here's the link anyway:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kapt1r9x2v7p6zf/Viking Ocean Cruises (2019 to 2021).xlsm?dl=0

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CharTrav said:

Good news for those waiting on the Venus!  Venus is now included in Viking's cruise schedule -- starting in Jan 2021 from Barcelona.  The maiden cruise is NOT shown at all but clearly the Venus will not be magically appearing in Barcelona. Reserved for the Viking Sky survivors and advertised to special others?? Don't know. Her schedule for now only goes out thru September 2021, in line with her sister ships. 

 

Also -- the latter half of World Cruise 2020-2021 has been segmented as follows (listed sequentially):

  • Tropical Treasures of the Pacific
  • Australia & Asia's Scenic Shores
  • Jewels of Australia & Asia
  • Passage to Ancient Treasures
  • Asia & India Artistry
  • In the Footsteps of Antiquity
  • European Highlights

Made a spot check of the other cruise schedules in 2021 (assuming 2019 and 2020 are fairly stable) and didn't notice any changes since last month. The updated cruise schedule sheet is the posted in same place but here's the link anyway:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kapt1r9x2v7p6zf/Viking Ocean Cruises (2019 to 2021).xlsm?dl=0

 

 

The guests who were on board the Sky in March have first refusal on the Venus maiden voyage (as part of the compensation package) and thus, if these cabins are to be sold at all, it will not be until all of the March pax have said yea or nay. Learned on another thread that Sky pax are awaiting details from Viking. Whether the unfilled cabins of the maiden will be filled with invited or paid guests is yet to be announced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

 

The guests who were on board the Sky in March have first refusal on the Venus maiden voyage (as part of the compensation package) and thus, if these cabins are to be sold at all, it will not be until all of the March pax have said yea or nay. Learned on another thread that Sky pax are awaiting details from Viking. Whether the unfilled cabins of the maiden will be filled with invited or paid guests is yet to be announced.

That plan certainly makes sense. Good to know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just checked the VO site on Friday to see if the schedules beyond August 2021 is getting filled (except for Sky which was already scheduled thru Dec 2021).  And the answer is yes but not completely -- just Jupiter, Venus, and Orion.  In fact, these three plus Sky are scheduled into early 2022.  The remaining three don't go beyond Sep 2021 (Sun,  Star) and Aug 2021 (Sea).

 

Guess it's time to retire the 2019-2021 spreadsheet and start the 2020-2022 edition.  I noticed a slight error in the Dec 2021 schedule for Orion which I'm assuming VO will catch pretty quickly.  Will post the 2020-2022 edition later this week and keep an eye out for updates regarding the Sun, Star, and Sea.  Thought you might be interested in the news.  I've been checking the VO site a almost weekly looking for what I found last Friday.,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI -- have made up the 2020 to 2022 schedule.  Before I post it, need to finish double checking myself. For example, hadn't caught changes made to the Caribbean cruises in response to Viking's inability to stop at Cuba and other minor tweaks.  All I have left to review is 2020 (finished 2021 and 2022). Should have ready for all no later than Tuesday.

Edited by CharTrav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have checked and double checked to make sure everything is correct -- across all three years.  As I explain in the log,  I didn't catch all the changes Viking made to Sky's schedule in the Caribbean to respond to the Cuba travel ban in the 2019 to 2021 schedule but did indeed catch and include these changes in the 2020 to 2022 schedule. 

  • Deleted Cultural Cuba
  • Renamed two cruises:  Panama Canal & Central America and Panama Canal & the Pacific Holiday (used to have "Cuba" in the name)
  • Added new cruises: Iconic Southern Caribbean and Caribbean Island Treasures

Clearly my assumption -- stated in an earlier post -- that the 2019 and 2020 schedules were stable was ill-founded. 😿

 

A link to the DropBox folder containing the spreadsheet for 2020 to 2022 is provided in my Signature Block or you can use this link to open the file directly (no DropBox account required):  https://www.dropbox.com/s/v0h7vvslptkwg2n/Viking Ocean Cruises (2020 to 2022).xlsm?dl=0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@pacruise804 and others -- just posted an updated version of the spreadsheet.  Tweaked the ReadMe tab to clarify my log entry for yesterday and added suggestions for how to print the schedule.

Edited by CharTrav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems to be missing Orion after  5 June 2020.  Hopefully my cruise in 2021 is still on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...