Menus from 3/30/19 Oosterdam

Eileen G

Thank you for posting, I could find from these menus plenty of things to try and enjoy. We are going to Alaska with our 10 year old grandson in July and he is a very adventurous eater so he will try many new things too. 

7 hours ago, bateau4 said:

Looking ahead to our July Volendam cruise, are cheese plates still available at desser?

Yes I'm sure I saw them. I'm surprised they weren't on the TV menus. These will probably be a little bit different than what you will see on an Alaska cruise.

Hello Eileen,

I really appreciate you taking the time from your vacation to capture and post these menus. I've read a lot of people complaining that food quality has gone down so much in recent years. I really don't see it. We first cruised with HAL in 1987 and I thought the food was excellent then and I still love it now. Yes things have changed. There used to be table side desserts and I really enjoyed Dutch night. There would be live music and sometimes local entertainment from the port we were visiting. However change is the only constant and we're seeing that here. We used to wear sport coats every night and tuxedos on formal nights but those days are gone as well. Back in 1987 the Noordam III was still quite new, and guess how many balcony cabins it had? None. Change can be good.

So Eileen here's my question for you. How did you like the food and service? Did you have any favorites?

Once again thanks,

Michael

48 minutes ago, expectGREATthings said:

Hello Eileen,

I really appreciate you taking the time from your vacation to capture and post these menus. I've read a lot of people complaining that food quality has gone down so much in recent years. I really don't see it. We first cruised with HAL in 1987 and I thought the food was excellent then and I still love it now. Yes things have changed. There used to be table side desserts and I really enjoyed Dutch night. There would be live music and sometimes local entertainment from the port we were visiting. However change is the only constant and we're seeing that here. We used to wear sport coats every night and tuxedos on formal nights but those days are gone as well. Back in 1987 the Noordam III was still quite new, and guess how many balcony cabins it had? None. Change can be good.

So Eileen here's my question for you. How did you like the food and service? Did you have any favorites?

Once again thanks,

Michael

It has been 10 years since we last sailed HAL with many cruises on several different cruise lines in between them. It seem all the cruise lines have cut back on dining. There weren't really any memorable dishes but most things were good. The service was very good. We did anytime dining and only had to wait for a table on the second formal night. We always sat with other people and met some really nice people.  

On 4/8/2019 at 2:57 PM, RuthC said:

You can order the meat 'plain', or even sauce on the side, in case you aren't sure.
You can always order a baked potato or mashed---do check on what is in the mashed potato first, though. French fries are typically not offered, but are on the children's menu, so can be ordered (it may take extra time).

You may also want to see the next night's menu before you leave the dining room to get an idea what you might be interested in.
Oh, and there's always the children's menu to consider.

Thanks!!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/10/2019 at 4:52 PM, expectGREATthings said:

We first cruised with HAL in 1987 and I thought the food was excellent then and I still love it now.

Michael

OMG!  That was our very first cruise also!  Very fond memories of the Veendam, it was a Caribbean cruise.  Going on the Oosterdam in 4 wks and so excited.  I haven't been on a HAL ship in 2 yrs so I am interested in the Main Dining Room options that Eileen has so kindly posted.  I see things on the Menu that look interesting so don't think I'll have a problem deciding.