Hilton Terminal 4 or Garden Inn Terminal 2?

We are arriving at Heathrow Terminal 3 on BA from US, we plan on staying at the airport overnight before cruise out of Southampton.

Currently have reservations at the Hilton, Terminal 4 but have been looking at the Hilton Garden Inn at Terminal 2.  A hotel at Terminal 2 would be easier to get to from Terminal 3 but the Hilton at Terminal 4 appears to have more amenities. 

Any other thoughts that I might have overlooked, recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

It depends what time you arrive at LHR - I expect you will get suggestions to head to Southampton on arrival and stay there. 

The Hilton Garden Inn T2, which will be the only hotel in the central terminal area at Heathrow, is not yet open, as far as I know. If you have a late arrival and want to stay onsite at LHR, do the hotel amenities matter that much? It would avoid having to get the train over to T4, although there will be a bit of walking from T3 to T2 to the hotel and then to the central bus station in the morning if you are getting a coach down to Southampton. 

5 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

The Hilton Garden Inn T2, which will be the only hotel in the central terminal area at Heathrow, is not yet open, as far as I know.

1 July 2019, according to its website: https://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/united-kingdom/hilton-garden-inn-london-heathrow-terminal-2-LHRHEGI/index.html

6 hours ago, edgeman61 said:

We are arriving at Heathrow Terminal 3 on BA from US, we plan on staying at the airport overnight before cruise out of Southampton.

5 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

It depends what time you arrive at LHR - I expect you will get suggestions to head to Southampton on arrival and stay there. 

Depending on what time you arrive at LHR, there will also be suggestions to head to central London before travelling to Southampton the next morning.

14 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

Depending on what time you arrive at LHR, there will also be suggestions to head to central London before travelling to Southampton the next morning.

Indeed. There are a couple of really late transatlantics into T3 (after 2200) that are AA-operated BA codeshares. But not from Dallas. Anything else, I’d be one suggesting London for the night 🙂

We are not flying over until mid September so the Hilton Garden Inn should be open by then (they are taking online reservations).

We are arriving about 1300 and due to the overnight flight we will be pretty tired.  My thoughts were to save on the price of the hotel and the transfer into London by staying near Heathrow and transferring to Southampton in the morning.  Having an on-site restaurant and perhaps a lounge are the only amenities that would be of use to us.

Your thoughts about transferring to Southampton that afternoon and staying there for the night are well received, I'll be looking into that.

You certainly don't want to transfer into London, it's totally in the wrong direction. You have to balance the convenience of a high-priced airport hotel, a more economical nearby hotel, or a coach/taxi ride to Southampton and a hotel near the port.

If you were arriving later, I could see the advantage of staying in the LHR area, but How much nicer to wake up in the morning and see your ship from your hotel window.

20 hours ago, edgeman61 said:

We are not flying over until mid September so the Hilton Garden Inn should be open by then (they are taking online reservations).

We are arriving about 1300 and due to the overnight flight we will be pretty tired.  My thoughts were to save on the price of the hotel and the transfer into London by staying near Heathrow and transferring to Southampton in the morning.  Having an on-site restaurant and perhaps a lounge are the only amenities that would be of use to us.

Your thoughts about transferring to Southampton that afternoon and staying there for the night are well received, I'll be looking into that.

We will be arriving at a similar time after a DFW-LHR flight and plan to stay in Southampton. In the past we have used Smiths for Airports and had excellent service. 

23 hours ago, edgeman61 said:

We are arriving about 1300 and due to the overnight flight we will be pretty tired.

I have to say that with that arrival time, the rest of the day would probably be most usefully used in the brainless process of transferring to Southampton. There's not enough time to make it worth going into London, and there's nothing useful to do at Heathrow for those very many hours that day unless you like plane spotting.

I'd forge ahead to Southampton.  We've done it both ways and preferred not including an airport hotel overnight.  Suggest hiring a private transfer.  You can even include a stop along the way that is easy and not too demanding.  We enjoyed a 2 hour stop in Salisbury to see the cathedral.  

If you pick the right hotel you can walk it to some quays, but if your ship is right in the docks or it is raining, a short taxi ride would be best.

The Holiday Inn is probably the most popular on this board. A short walk/taxi ride from the coach station and easy access to the port and to the town if you need any shopping or just a stroll before you board.

http://www.hisouthamptonhotel.co.uk/

There are several others nearby

Edited by Bob++

15 hours ago, edgeman61 said:

If staying near Southampton, is it difficult to transfer to the port from the hotel(s)?

We have done it on multiple occasions.  A simple brief taxi ride. Your hotel will either call, or some have a dedicated line.  We stayed at the Premiere last year. Lots of nearby places to eat and across the road from a major shopping mall if you have any last minute needs.  We had time to do some brief touring in the AM even prior to boarding.  Easy access to Southampton from LHR is either by National Express or you can use a car service like Smith’s.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I would continue on to Southampton the day I got into town if it wasn't too late at night.  However, if you choose to stay at Heathrow I can say that we stayed at the Hilton at T4 in July of 2017.  We were happy with the convenience as we were departing Heathrow the next morning.  Their rooms were nice (although small) and the breakfast was really good.    (Included pictures are of the Hilton at T4)

IMG_6769.JPG

IMG_6770.JPG

IMG_6771.JPG

Does anyone here know how when doing a England booking with a US address to put in the US address. I've done this once before but have lost my info and can't get the online booking for a England Hotel to accept my address. I used the tab that was for a non England address. It has a line 1, 2, 3, plus area for town and country. I know there is a certain order but can't figure it out! No matter how I put it in it keeps saying invalid address!

It would cost way to much to try and call. 

Thank you for the photos of the room at the Hilton at T4.   From the U.S. I just booked on the Hilton HHonors site, the price was in GBP but everything worked just like booking a hotel in the U.S. 

I think we are going to stick with our original plan of staying at Heathrow when we arrive and take a transfer straight to the ship the next morning.  Every time we have flown to the U.K. we are always are so tired when we arrive we end up asleep by 19:30 or earlier.

I got it figured out. This site wanted the zip code on the first line 1 and then the address on 2 with the State on 3. I finally got it to go thru. I would had preferred to use a hotel I could have just booked from a US site but they there wasn't one where I wanted to stay. I'm going to Windsor first 2 nights and from the location I will be able to walk to the castle and other things. Then on to Southampton for 2 nights then cruise then back to the airport for 1 night for a morning non-stop flight back to Phoenix. I will also stay at a airport hotel for the last night.