Any Jeep tours where you don't have to share the Jeep with others?

aimcat

's Ok, so my husband and I have all of our ports planned except Cozumel. We tossed around the Plaza tours driver, then thought well we love Jeeps, why not a Jeep tour - offroad, etc. We saw one on RC called the Monster Jeep offroad to ruins and beach, but it says in the details that if you do not pay for 4 passengers you will share the Jeep with others. At $160 each - that's a no. We would really love this though if we didnt have to share the Jeep, I know that sounds dumb but we have done things before where we shared vehicle excursions with others and it did not go well and my husband would not go for that again. Do you all know of any of these types on Cozumel that are private - meaning just at least the Jeep to yourself? 

This will be our 3rd time to Cozumel, we have done Nachi before and another beach house/beach location. Just trying to think of something fun and different.  

On 4/10/2019 at 10:03 AM, aimcat said:

's Ok, so my husband and I have all of our ports planned except Cozumel. We tossed around the Plaza tours driver, then thought well we love Jeeps, why not a Jeep tour - offroad, etc. We saw one on RC called the Monster Jeep offroad to ruins and beach, but it says in the details that if you do not pay for 4 passengers you will share the Jeep with others. At $160 each - that's a no. We would really love this though if we didnt have to share the Jeep, I know that sounds dumb but we have done things before where we shared vehicle excursions with others and it did not go well and my husband would not go for that again. Do you all know of any of these types on Cozumel that are private - meaning just at least the Jeep to yourself? 

This will be our 3rd time to Cozumel, we have done Nachi before and another beach house/beach location. Just trying to think of something fun and different.  

Might want to check Omar's VW Buggy tour. We booked through Island Marketing and called after booking to ask do a vehicle with only the 2 of us or we would cancel. They were very good to work with and we had an awesome tour. Didn't go off road but saw much of the island. See my TA review. 

I agree to go with a private company, rather than the ship and let them know up front you will not be going if you have to share a jeep, most will work with you and may even charge you a little more for the private vehicle but not double and certainly cheaper than cruise line costs

• 1 month later...
On 6/1/2019 at 9:54 PM, Tracey said:

I was wondering the same, hubby doesn't want to share. Does anyone know, can you just rent your own jeep and do your own tour?? Thanks

Yes, you can rent a vehicle for the day..... but there is the thing:

You are on a tropical island where it rains alot, the roads are very basic and full of potholes, some are not even paved.  Are you prepared to pay damages for the vehicle?  or miss the ship because you are stuck on other side of island with broken down vehicle and no cell service, or trying to settle and accident with Mexican police?  Or ....  see what I mean?

Do a tour, then you can have fun and not have to worry or worse.

I love Cozumel, have been going there for week long vacations for 19 yrs.  I know the island well.  Trust me on this. 

Just my 2 cents.

1 hour ago, ABQrobin said:

Yes, you can rent a vehicle for the day..... but there is the thing:

You are on a tropical island where it rains alot, the roads are very basic and full of potholes, some are not even paved.  Are you prepared to pay damages for the vehicle?  or miss the ship because you are stuck on other side of island with broken down vehicle and no cell service, or trying to settle and accident with Mexican police?  Or ....  see what I mean?

Do a tour, then you can have fun and not have to worry or worse.

I love Cozumel, have been going there for week long vacations for 19 yrs.  I know the island well.  Trust me on this. 

Just my 2 cents.

Thank you for your comments 

http://cozumelcruiseexcursions.net/cozumel-excursions.html  We used this company.  Did the dune buggy, but they have a private Jeep tour also.  You can customize where you want to go, what you want to see.  The guide just sits in the back and tells you directions based on where you want to go and can give you info on the island.  

• 5 months later...
On 6/11/2019 at 10:15 AM, amc155 said:

http://cozumelcruiseexcursions.net/cozumel-excursions.html  We used this company.  Did the dune buggy, but they have a private Jeep tour also.  You can customize where you want to go, what you want to see.  The guide just sits in the back and tells you directions based on where you want to go and can give you info on the island.  

Really? From all the comments I have seen on this tour and answers from the company, they say that you get the entire jeep to yourself and you are following a tour guide in his own jeep in front of you. Did you request the guide to be with you?

• 1 month later...
On 11/23/2019 at 1:15 PM, mitsugirly said:

Really? From all the comments I have seen on this tour and answers from the company, they say that you get the entire jeep to yourself and you are following a tour guide in his own jeep in front of you. Did you request the guide to be with you?

We did not request it, it was just the way it was. Maybe they have changed the way they do things? 

On 12/25/2019 at 6:57 PM, amc155 said:

We did not request it, it was just the way it was. Maybe they have changed the way they do things? 

Yea I'm not sure. I just read all the comments on the site asking questions and they had said many times that either your guide could drive or you could or you could follow.

We asked that our driver drive for us when we used them a week ago.

We always rent a jeep in Cozumel because we love the other side of the island. You can rent a crappy jeep from Ernestos for about $60. We like being on our own schedule and finding secluded beaches. They give you maps with an explanation of places, prices etc. If it is a rainy day you will get wet in the jeeps. We usually reserve one a week before after we check the weather. Parking can be difficult to find in downtown but otherwise you can stay a while at places you like or move on if you're not enjoying yourself.

On 12/27/2019 at 10:33 AM, mitsugirly said:

Hi. We are considering doing this during our upcoming cruise in February. Did you like your experience with the company? Did you get to request places you wanted to visit or is there a set itinerary? Any info about your experience and guide will be helpful. Thank you. 

Yea I'm not sure. I just read all the comments on the site asking questions and they had said many times that either your guide could drive or you could or you could follow.

I don't know what I did above, but this is in response to Mitsugirly's response. Will you please give us any info, good or bad, about your jeep experience with this company. Were you able to customize your itinerary or was it set? Thank you!

• 1 year later...
On 12/27/2019 at 11:33 AM, mitsugirly said:

I read somewhere you were working on posting a detailed review of this excursion. Is it live and where can I find it? Thanks in advance.

On 5/11/2021 at 3:07 PM, printingchick said:

I read somewhere you were working on posting a detailed review of this excursion. Is it live and where can I find it? Thanks in advance.

That post was from 2019, so not live. 

I have a website that you can find my full review on with tons of pictures. travelwithmitsugirly.com and go to the port section, then cozumel and you will find all the excursions on that page. Hope that helps. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Agingpartygirl - Agree - just rent a vehicle and enjoy your day with the utmost flexibility! Very safe to drive and many places to see off the beaten path...

We always recommend and rent from Margarita at ISIS Rentadora - Wonderful, family-run outfit, and you can rent a nice, new intermediate for $800 - $900 ($40 - $45 US) or another car for less, all insurance is included. Jeep’s are available but really no need for one on Coz.

For anyone looking for a more private tour of Coz, renting is a great choice! You can find great feedback on favorite routes from those most familiar with Coz on the TripAdvisor forum as well...

Edited by blue_water