Do we need currency for Fjord cruise

Presto2

9 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

One word of warning - we used card to pay for one of the land trains from Iona in The Fjords.

They added a zero either by mistake or on purpose and we paid 440 pounds for 2 people equivalent on our credit card rather than 44 pounds

Ouch!  Hope you got it back - I imagine so - good reason to use a Credit Card.

8 hours ago, SquishTheWhale said:

Visit the oil museum in Stavanger, it's so much more interesting than it sounds!

If you found that interesting then I recommend the drama 'State of Happiness' which is on BBC iPlayer.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, SquishTheWhale said:

Sounds like you have a good compromise with taking a little cash, but just to weigh in when we went we didn't take any at all and didn't have any occasions when we need it. Everywhere down to the tiniest places take card. I don't remember coming across any public loos that needed it, but maybe we just got lucky.

Visit the oil museum in Stavanger, it's so much more interesting than it sounds!

So is the sardine factory! 

I’ve seen recent YouTube videos where 99% of toilets seem to take cards now in Norway (obviously this thread was started in 2019) However there was one trip someone went on where they only took cash! A boat trip I think it was.

We haven't bothered to take local currency to any Nordic countries for about 10 years, everywhere takes cards and the exchange rate for our bank account is usually better than than buying currency and of course we don't have left over currency than needs changing back.

• Like 2

We’ve never taken cash - just credit cards. And if a place does not take cards then that’s their loss - although in all our travels, even buying at street markets and tiny stalls in remote places etc… we’ve never had that issue. We have only had 2 dodgy transactions, but at least with a credit card we were covered and things were easily and swiftly sorted at no expense to us.

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 1

On 4/14/2019 at 10:46 AM, silversurf1 said:

We needed coins for the toilets when ashore in Norway.

But a 2 years ago in Stockholm the public loos were card only! I suspect that the larger cities are largely cashlesss but smaller places have yet to catch up.

Most toilets in Scandanavian countries are card only or card option. Only once have I had to go behind a bush because they were cash only and I had no coins. Even if you get currency it'll be in notes so doesn't solve that problem.