Dublin Hoho Buses

Will be finishing our TA in Dublin and flying out the next day. We would like to spend the day on the hop on hop off buses and are wondering the difference between the red and green ones or which one is better. We ar planning on leaving our luggage at a storage place close to a hoho stop, do the busses for the day then cab to our hotel close to the airport. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

11 hours ago, Bornbeau said:

Will be finishing our TA in Dublin and flying out the next day. We would like to spend the day on the hop on hop off buses and are wondering the difference between the red and green ones or which one is better. We ar planning on leaving our luggage at a storage place close to a hoho stop, do the busses for the day then cab to our hotel close to the airport. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

We were in Dublin at the end of the T/A on Sillie last year...and our hotel was right by the start and end stops for all 3 HOHO buses...red, green and yellow. The yellow was the least expensive...and they all seemed to go to the same stops. We took the yellow one...and enjoyed the ride! LuAnn

You can also buy a combo ticket for all three. Takes you to the Guinness facility, a whiskey distillery, the Royal Yacht Britannia, etc. Main stop is on Waverly Bridge by the central rail station.

9 hours ago, GoSpurs said:

You can also buy a combo ticket for all three. Takes you to the Guinness facility, a whiskey distillery, the Royal Yacht Britannia, etc. Main stop is on Waverly Bridge by the central rail station.

I think you may be mixing your cities  and countries up, I am pretty certain that the Royal Yacht, Waverly Bridge and central station are all in Edinburgh, Scotland and not Dublin, Ireland  

14 hours ago, GoSpurs said:

Hop off hop on bus tours are operated by different companies and are not combinable. Each operator offers at least two separate routes. 

The certainly don’t go to the the Royal Yacht Britannia nor Waverley bridge - different city, different country

Edited by jimzgoldfinch

Just to confuse things further......

As well as the Red bus,Green bus and Yellow bus,there is also the Brown bus.

Red,Green,Brown buses run 2 routes....Yellow bus runs one route.

They all run pretty much the same route,,,,some are cheaper than others.

Brown bus runs 2 hrs for full route (Red & Blue routes),,,, Green & Yellow buses run for 2.5 hrs for full routes.

Red buses run for 3.5 hrs and has more stops.

You also have to look at frequency of waiting times for next bus to come along,,,i think Brown bus has frequency of 60 mins,,,,whereas Red bus is usually 20 mins.They have the most buses.

Whatever European city i am in i always use the Red bus tours.

ps,I am joining Reflection in Dublin next month,but my time will be spent in Temple Bar,Guinness sampling.

Edited by JeanieC,Aston
  • Like 1

We did the red hoho and loved it. Stopped at the Irish Writer’s Museum. Low key but very interesting. I always pick something special in a port that I think epitomizes that region and I thought Irish writers would be special and it was. 

Also that night, did a Irish Literary Pub tour (local not ship) and they walked to the various pubs that famous writers hang out in and actors stepped out as the writers. Lots of fun.

Enjoy Dublin, a fantastic city - and any of the HOHO’s are a great way to cut an initial cut of it. For those who spend more than a day or so, there is the Leap Card that gives you access to all the various city transportations and is a great way to get around (not HOHO). Our hotel had a stop very nearby and it was very handy - hotel was Hotel Ashling on Parkgate. Very nice and not in the middle of all the tourist noise and easy to get into all of Dublin. 

Den

On 4/15/2019 at 6:36 AM, jkgourmet said:

Really try to see the kilmarrin Gaol.  Really interesting and well done tour.  

100% agree.  One of my absolutely favorite tours in all of the British Isles.

M