Internet Hot Spot

m8zenblue

I hope that posting this subject in the Celebrity Forum is appropriate, if not, I apologize.

Anyway, has anyone had any experience with using an internet hotspot device ?

I recently discovered a device that advertises Wi-Fi access all over the world, you buy the appropriate data package and it will work in the Caribbean countries and even while on ship on the ocean.

I am very tempted to purchase this item instead of the ships Wi-Fi, which is expensive and slow.

I would love to hear from others !

Is it the 4G hotspot device with an international SIM? You may still need the access to cell signal. It will work in Caribbean countries but I am not sure on the ship as they have different roaming charges. I have heard a carrier has a roaming package on certain ships and overseas. That may be cheaper than the internet package but with a limit in data.

2 minutes ago, Hi-ho-silver said:

It will not work at sea because there are no cell towers in the ocean.  You would need to use the satellite based mobile service that the major carriers (ATT, etc) offer at sea at very high cost per Mb.

That is what I thought,  but was hoping I was wrong. 

I use to use a similar device when I was working.   My company provided a similar device I believe it was by Verizon.   It worked well and you could create a hotspot with up to 6 connections.  As others indicated it requires a Cell Signal to work and would be prohibitively expensive to use at sea.