Accessing New Roll Call Postings

A while ago a member posted a method by which the next new posting on a roll call could be accessed directly, without having to cursor through the whole thing.  The solution was a special coded entry in my 'Favorites' which I would click on having first signed into CC.

if anybody recalls this, or has another method, please re-post.

This used to be automatic with the previous version of CC, but I see no option to do this with the new and improved (?) version.

Edited by racj846

Once you are at the listing of any thread click on the STAR button next to the title of the thread. That will take you to the first unread post.

I have my roll calls set to send me an email every time someone posts. I find going through the posts in my email easier than dealing with this "new and improved" CC site.

9 hours ago, racj846 said:

A while ago a member posted a method by which the next new posting on a roll call could be accessed directly, without having to cursor through the whole thing.  The solution was a special coded entry in my 'Favorites' which I would click on having first signed into CC.

Re Thrak's comment above: you will only see a "star" next to a thread/Roll Call in which you have posted; otherwise, you'll see a circle.  When either is blue, click it to be taken directly to the last new post you haven't read.

Another option is to "follow" the Roll Call and simply be notified when there's a new post.  Open the Roll Call, then click the "Follow" box at the upper right corner of the Roll Call title, and choose how you want to receive notifications.

You can also bookmark the Roll Call in your browser so you can access it immediately.

Maybe I was not to clear.  I have no problem accessing new posts in a thread by clicking on the dot or the star.  What I want to do is access the next unread post in a Roll Call.

I access a roll call by clicking on the 'Find a....' in the blue banner at the top of the page, then select cruise line followed by ship and month/year. On the next page I select the actual date which brings me to the first page of the RC every time, with no dot or star in sight.

Am I missing an alternate way to access RCs which will reveal the dot/star.  I prefer not to sign up for email notifications since an active RC can produce too many emails!!

Edited by racj846

25 minutes ago, racj846 said:

Maybe I was not to clear.  I have no problem accessing new posts in a thread by clicking on the dot or the star.  What I want to do is access the next unread post in a Roll Call.

I access a roll call by clicking on the 'Find a....' in the blue banner at the top of the page, then select cruise line followed by ship and month/year. On the next page I select the actual date which brings me to the first page of the RC every time, with no dot or star in sight.

Am I missing an alternate way to access RCs which will reveal the dot/star.  I prefer not to sign up for email notifications since an active RC can produce too many emails!!

The "Find Your Roll Call" link is not working (as announced on the right side of all main pages on all forums).

Using that link will NOT take you to your Roll Call.  You have to go to the Roll Call forum (click on the "Forums" tab at upper left), scroll down and click on "(your cruise line) Roll Calls" link.  Then scroll down to "(Your ship) Roll Calls".  There look through the list to find your Roll Call. 

When you click on your Roll Call, you are clicking on a thread.  If there are new posts on that thread since the last time you were there, the dot (or star) will be dark blue.  If there are no new posts since the last time you were there the dot (or star) is very light blue.  

Edited by Shmoo here

4 hours ago, racj846 said:

If you choose to take the shortcut via the Find a Roll Call link, then even if it works it bypasses the forum feature that allows you to go to the first unread post in a thread. (As Shmoo here says, there's nothing magic about a roll call thread. It's just another thread.)

If you want to use the forum feature, then the easiest thing to do is to look at the roll call forum for your ship, and then scroll down to your roll call thread in the listing. It only takes a few seconds per page. You will then see the blue dot/star that works the forum feature for getting to the first unread post.

An active roll call thread will not flood your inbox with emails unless you spend all your time on CC. Once you leave CC, you are likely to get only a small handful (often, only one) of emails about the roll call thread until you log in again to CC.

The only thing that I can think of that might match the "special coded entry" you describe is to manually construct a saved URL to the relevant thread by adding the switch ?do=getNewComment to the end of the main URL for the thread.

You should be able to get what you want using a custom activity stream.

On the Activity tab click My Activity Streams, then click the last entry Create New Stream.

image.png.f504aebde04e731e5a3c5fe5d16aa361.png

This will bring up a window that resembles the following.

image.thumb.png.edd58570a2b23f6aeaccb2e8f9776565.png

Give the stream a title.

In Content Types select Topics then click the down arrow at the right. Scroll down/up to Roll Calls, click to expand. Scroll down/up to your cruise line, click to expand. Find the ship and click.

Set Read Status to Content I haven't read.

In Ownership if you started the roll call click Content I started. Otherwise, presuming you have posted in the roll call click Content I have posted in. If neither work, use Everything.

Set Default View to Condensed.

Set Following to Only content I follow. If you select Everything all roll calls for the ship may appear.

Click Save Changes. This will display something like the following.

image.png.a69eb155b095e320a4b76bc5ebd2d277.png

Click the blue dots to go to the appropriate first unread post.

You can make changes to the selection criteria above the list. To save those changes click Save Changes.

The custom stream will appear on the My Activity Streams list.

Thank you all for your replies, particularly Globaliser who provided exactly what I was looking for. 

Adding the switch to the main URL works perfectly.

Also broberts - I will give your solution a try.