QM2 MDR always available items

smokey01

On 4/29/2019 at 6:51 PM, Calliope said:

... Who, for instance, remembers being able to order off menu in the Columbia Restaurant of the QE2?  Not only was the dining room's name changed several times over the years, but ordering off menu long since ceased even while serving as a Cunarder.

The first time we made a crossing in First Class was in 1979. Although the décor of the Columbia Restaurant was nothing special (I thought Britannia was more attractive) the food and service were superb. The head-waiter asked at every lunch if we wanted something special at dinner. We didn't order anything because the menu of the day was extensive and always had many items we liked.

There was traditional "silver service" at lunch and dinner. Even the Britannia Restaurant offered this in the 1970s.

It wasn't until the last year of the QE2 (2008) that we dined in this restaurant again. Now called Caronia, the restaurant was far more attractive than it was as Columbia. There was no longer any First Class so the menu was the same as Britannia. Everything was served plated from the galley and there was no off-menu items offered. Perhaps some were available on request, but we were quite pleased with the regular menu. It was not open for lunch on embrakation day. 

The service was excellent and, of course, it was one-sitting with flexible times as the Britannia Club is today. So we are glad we have it as our last memory of the QE2.

22 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

The first time we made a crossing in First Class was in 1979. Although the décor of the Columbia Restaurant was nothing special (I thought Britannia was more attractive) the food and service were superb. The head-waiter asked at every lunch if we wanted something special at dinner. We didn't order anything because the menu of the day was extensive and always had many items we liked.

There was traditional "silver service" at lunch and dinner. Even the Britannia Restaurant offered this in the 1970s.

It wasn't until the last year of the QE2 (2008) that we dined in this restaurant again. Now called Caronia, the restaurant was far more attractive than it was as Columbia. There was no longer any First Class so the menu was the same as Britannia. Everything was served plated from the galley and there was no off-menu items offered. Perhaps some were available on request, but we were quite pleased with the regular menu. It was not open for lunch on embrakation day. 

The service was excellent and, of course, it was one-sitting with flexible times as the Britannia Club is today. So we are glad we have it as our last memory of the QE2.

On QE2, the Britannia was one of the PG restaurants. The equivalent to the current Britannia was the Mauritania.

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

On QE2, the Britannia was one of the PG restaurants. The equivalent to the current Britannia was the Mauritania.

The original Tourist Class restaurant was called Britannia. It was later re-named Tables of the World. Mauretania was the most recent name it had.  Princess Grill was expanded to have a second restaurant named Britannia Grill. It was created out of a corner of the Columbia, later Caronia, restaurant. Off-hand I can't remember the dates when all these chages were made. It gets confusing!

1 hour ago, david,Mississauga said:

The original Tourist Class restaurant was called Britannia. It was later re-named Tables of the World. Mauretania was the most recent name it had.  Princess Grill was expanded to have a second restaurant named Britannia Grill. It was created out of a corner of the Columbia, later Caronia, restaurant. Off-hand I can't remember the dates when all these chages were made. It gets confusing!

So it was. And I think they swapped the locations of the Mauritania and Caronia restaurants at some point, so the model of the Mauritania was outside the Caronia.

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, a thread on another platform had recent photos of the Britannia menus. There was no mention of the always available items. When I asked, he replied,

"I recall seeing something about 'always available' items but they weren't on the menu. I believe you have to ask your server."

On the back of the QM2 Daily Programme (dated 11 May 2019), where the Britannia Restaurant times are listed, it states:  "Should the evening dinner menu choices not appeal to you please ask your Waiter about our "Always Available"options.

12 minutes ago, Tigrou said:

On the back of the QM2 Daily Programme (dated 11 May 2019), where the Britannia Restaurant times are listed, it states:  "Should the evening dinner menu choices not appeal to you please ask your Waiter about our "Always Available"options.

Aha!  The reference. Thank you.  
....still a long way from actually listing the items on the menu, though.

If there's any change when I'm aboard in July, I'll post an update.

Edited by MarkBearSF