Bringing prescriptions into Japan

SoBaycruiser

I’ve read that Japan is very strict about what drugs they allow into the country... even personal prescriptions.  I’ve read various description like THIS and think I should be fine as long as I have less than a month’s supply.  However, most of my prescriptions are purchased in a 3 month quantities.  As long as the number of pills within those bottles is less than a month’s supply, am I okay?  Or do I have to get the pharmacy to separately package my prescriptions in smaller amounts?

5 hours ago, SoBaycruiser said:

Has anyone been asked about prescriptions or OTC drugs?

No...never...and chances are you won't either.

Japan, Singapore, China etc. etc. etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Been to Japan twice on land. The only OTC drugs to leave home are the allergy meds that contain pesudophedrine. IF you are caught bringing that in they can jail you for it! NO sense in asking for trouble!

Also if you take ADHD meds some of them are also banned. Pain pills like codeine and oxy are also not allowed. Most other prescription drugs are OK. The Japanese are serious about rules so even if no one you know has been asked about meds ,I woudn't chance it! Saying "I didn't know" is not an excuse!

On 5/7/2019 at 5:36 AM, riffatsea said:

Hi,

Been to Japan twice on land. The only OTC drugs to leave home are the allergy meds that contain pesudophedrine. IF you are caught bringing that in they can jail you for it! NO sense in asking for trouble!

Also if you take ADHD meds some of them are also banned. Pain pills like codeine and oxy are also not allowed. Most other prescription drugs are OK. The Japanese are serious about rules so even if no one you know has been asked about meds ,I woudn't chance it! Saying "I didn't know" is not an excuse!

Thank you.  I tend to be of the same mind... better to be safe than sorry.  I do have allergies, so I’ll have to look carefully at what is in them. ... Or dump the OTC meds before arriving in Japan.  I doubt that we will be questioned but why invite trouble.

My dr. wrote a letter stating the Rx I take. None of them are those listed by others above on this thread. Basically allergy and asthma meds and anti-inflammatory meds. I'm still carrying the letter plus keeping everything in their original containers.

The article states "medical equipment", then doesn't say much about it.  I have bilateral cochlear implants have lots of associated bits and pieces that I take with me when I travel...  Cords, chargers, replacement parts, remote controls, an extra set of CI processors for just in case, batteries (both rechargeable and one-use).  Without this stuff I am as deaf as a box of rocks.  Has anyone had experience bringing medical equipment into Japan?

Thanks!

Edited by Taters

I have lived in Japan for nearly 30 years.

Every year I fly out and in about a dozen times.

And every time I have carried some sort of prescription drugs out of and into Japan.

Not once has anyone mentioned anything about it to me.

Not in Japanese; not in English.

It just is not an issue.

Currently the Japanese Government is very worried about people smuggling gold into Japan.

Leave your gold bars at home, and you won't have any problems.

• Like 1