Escape-Specialty Dining

millie8

Haven't cruised on NCL in 3 years. We are cruising on the Escape to Bermuda with relatives and have the specialty dining package (2 dinners) plus another because we are platinum. Would love to get some advice on the best restaurants to book. Saw some mediocre reviews of Cagneys and don't want to waste a dinner there if they were accurate.

Thanks!

Personally I like Teppanyaki, Cagneys, Le Bistro. In that order. IMO the quality of meats at Moderno is poor. And La Cucina is Olive Garden quality Italian at best IMO. To break down my choices, I feel like Teppanyaki is actually good quality food, and usually cooked perfectly. Cagneys is good, for what it is.. a steakhouse at sea. Don't expect NYC quality steaks, but it's still good. Le Bistro has been hit and miss in my experience. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, millie8 said:

Haven't cruised on NCL in 3 years. We are cruising on the Escape to Bermuda with relatives and have the specialty dining package (2 dinners) plus another because we are platinum. Would love to get some advice on the best restaurants to book. Saw some mediocre reviews of Cagneys and don't want to waste a dinner there if they were accurate.

Thanks!

If you are Platinum, you get two dinners. See coupon below. 

We would select Le Bistro and Teppanyaki. Our Cagney’s experience last month on the escape was awful. 

The link below is from our live post from the Escape with menus and food pics. 

Edited by BirdTravels

Cagneys Moderno Teppanyaki Le bistro and then La Cucina. Nothing amazing but nothing bad. Way better then MDR and Buffet. I am going on Sunday and have not been on a ship since dec 2016 so my opinion could change by this time next week. I will come back and follow up. As far as experience I rank La Cucina third with Le bistro next and teppanyaki being dead last . Being from New York served Filet Mignon  at any local hibachi it gets old fast. I think people do not see it as much and it’s kinda cool which I get. It gets old pretty quick. Just my 2 cents on that. 

Edited by shout19661966

We had the best time at Teppanyaki on our cruise last year. Cook was very entertaining and food was delicious ( I had Scallops and shrimp ). We also ate at cagneys and it was good.  La Cucina was just alright.

Sept. cruise will be getting 3 SDP plus the 2 Platinum meals on a 7-nighter. Any instructions on exactly how to book restaurants on-line so NCL knows which 3 are to SDP & 2 for Lattitude perk.

I'm thinking ( ESCAPE )    Not the day/time , but the Order they are chosen in ?

Bayamo , Cagney's, Moderno - covered under SDP & then Le Bistro, La Cucina.

Or just wait to board for the Platinum perk.. thxs marc

2 hours ago, yearsofcruising said:

Sept. cruise will be getting 3 SDP plus the 2 Platinum meals on a 7-nighter. Any instructions on exactly how to book restaurants on-line so NCL knows which 3 are to SDP & 2 for Lattitude perk.

I'm thinking ( ESCAPE )    Not the day/time , but the Order they are chosen in ?

Bayamo , Cagney's, Moderno - covered under SDP & then Le Bistro, La Cucina.

Or just wait to board for the Platinum perk.. thxs marc

Didn't we do this last week?

NCL don't need to know at the time you reserve how you will actually be paying for your meal. You sort that bit out when you actually go.

All that the order you reserve the meals in does is determine whether you are charged at the time of booking.

For example, if you plan to use Moderno as a platinum perk and book it as one of your first three meals booked then you aren't charged when reserving. If it is the fourth meal that you reserve then the system will charge you the cover charge at the time and you will waste time onboard getting that money back (as OBC).

So, as stated above, book the ones with a fixed charge first to avoid this.

As Bayamo has a uncharge when using the SDP, you should leave that until the end to reserve if you want to avoid paying upfront. The system will then assume (only for the purposes of determining what to charge you upfront) that you are paying a la carte. When you go there, tell them you are using the SDP and they will then charge the uncharge to your onboard account.

Edited by KeithJenner

We ate at Cagney's three times the last week of March.  We absolutely loved it.  The steaks were perfectly cooked and seasoned each time, and the service was fine.  Sides are small and were ok to good.  

10 minutes ago, yearsofcruising said:

So then the 1st two meals clicked on are assumed to be automatically PLATINUM PERKS ?

No, the first three are assumed to be SDP. The booking system has no idea about the platinum meals.

I would make reservations in this order:

Moderno, then Cagneys, Le Bistro and La Cucina in any order with Bayamo last. That way you shouldn’t be charged anything.

Then, when you go to Le Bistro and La Cucina, just hand over your voucher, so they know you are using platinum for that.

When you go to Bayamo they should charge you the SDP upcharge.

Thanks for all the responses and the info about booking for SDP and platinum benefit. I never thought of making those reservations in a particular order. May not end up using the platinum benefit because my sister and her husband would have to pay to join us. 

5 hours ago, npater said:

How do you book these once you board. 

Platinum meals can be booked the same way as any others.

If you wait until you board then just go to restaurant reservations, use the app or the touchscreens.