Arrival at Bergen BGO

ropomo

Starting Viking Homelands in Bergen in a couple weeks.  How quickly can we expect to navigate immigration/customs at BGO?  Is it an ordeal as it is in some airports or fairly efficient?  Trying to guess at approximate time to get to ship and possible afternoon/evening activities.

We are looking at a cruise staring in Bergen but the issue I have is that our local regional airport has a limited selection of flights so we will have to fly via LHR or AMS ... either way it will be a very late afternoon arrival at Bergen. The absolute earliest arrival would be 1630 ...  Is the transfer process reasonably quick. I can see nothing on the website showing departure times from the port?  

How would Viking deal with such a problem

Thanks

Mike

If you are on Viking Homelands embarking in Bergen, the ship is in port overnight the first day and does not depart until late afternoon the following day.  You should have no problems other than missing a good portion of the first day.  On the other hand, depending on the month of your cruise, sunset in Bergen can be 10:30pm or later giving you all evening in town.

Edited by ropomo

48 minutes ago, MBP&O2/O said:

We are looking at a cruise staring in Bergen but the issue I have is that our local regional airport has a limited selection of flights so we will have to fly via LHR or AMS ... either way it will be a very late afternoon arrival at Bergen. The absolute earliest arrival would be 1630 ...  Is the transfer process reasonably quick. I can see nothing on the website showing departure times from the port?  

How would Viking deal with such a problem

Thanks

Mike

Bergen is a beautiful location ..  I suggest you consider arriving a day early so you can enjoy a night in Bergen prior to boarding.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ropomo said:

If you are on Viking Homelands embarking in Bergen, the ship is in port overnight the first day and does not depart until late afternoon the following day.  You should have no problems other than missing a good portion of the first day.  On the other hand, depending on the month of your cruise, sunset in Bergen can be 10:30pm or later giving you all evening in town.

In addition to this, if you are in fact looking at a Viking Cruise, there are only two cruises starting or ending in Bergen that do not overnight there.  Those two are combination ocean/river cruises.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 9:43 PM, MBP&O2/O said:

Thanks for the help ... I suspect we will fly out early and have a day chilling .... hopefully not waiting for the luggage to catch up🙄

Bergen is a lovely place to start a cruise - we've been there a couple of times, and we'd happily go back there.

BTW - like your icon - fond memories of P&O.

Have a lovely time.

Edited by Parsley Cruises
addition.